Dr Chris Brown reveals mind-blowing trick to easily solve a problem many dog owners face

Renowned Australian veterinarian and TV personality Dr Chris Brown is well known for sharing intriguing insights and debunking common pet myths.

In a recent social media post, the star of Channel 7 revealed a mind-blowing trick that could solve a problem many dog owners meeting their pets for the first time or the occasional unfortunate veterinarian have—determining a dog’s gender at first glance.

'In the vet hospital, I can tell you there’s nothing more awkward than mixing up the sex of a dog or cat,’ Dr Brown said.

‘It really ruins the vibe. And some names can be a real misdirect…like Luna. Or Jesse!'

'Well, it turns out research says there’s another way to tell boy from girl. You know…apart from looking between their legs!'

SDC Images (4).png
A renowned vet shared a trick pet owners can use to identify their pet’s gender. Image source: Instagram/@drchrisbrown.

In his blog post, Chris shared it was as simple as looking at their paws.

Yes, you read that right… paws.

'It’s one of the simplest training tricks. But asking a dog to shake hands might be saying a lot more than you think,' he wrote.

'That’s because researchers at the University of Sydney found that in both dogs and cats, males prefer to use their left paw while females prefer to use their right to shake.'

He added: 'And even if they’re not into shaking hands, you should still see the same side preference for tasks like reaching under a sofa to grab a treat, flicking off a small piece of tape from their nose or steadying a rolling tennis ball so it doesn’t roll away.'

The doctor’s revelation came as a surprise to many pet owners with one saying: 'Well... I’ve learned something new.'

While another said: 'No way, I would never have known.'

You can see his revelation here:

Source: Instagram/@drool_by_drchrisbrown.

This is not the first time the doctor blew minds away with a revelation back in September, he shared an odd piece of information about what was happening at the vet as the weather warmed up.

He said in a video while showing a photograph of a dog’s nipple: 'So, after today I feel like I need to remind you that this ... is not a tick.'

'The moment tick season begins, which is now, I see a dog a week in the vet hospital where their owner has tried to remove their nipple.'

'Both male and female pets have eight of them, sometimes 10.'

He then showed a photo of what ticks really look like and said: 'So maybe free that .... not the nipple?'

Other users were shocked and could not understand other people’s confusion.

'What? How can folks confuse the two?' one asked.

To which the doctor replied: 'It happens a lot. Especially on the bigger nipples!'

Another user replied: 'I’m in shock that people actually do this.'

While another vet affirmed this phenomenon, saying: 'This is important stuff! I have lost count of how many times I have seen pets whose family tried to remove a nipple.'

You can watch the full video below:

Source: Instagram/@drchrisbrown.

Key Takeaways
  • Channel Seven star and veterinarian Dr Chris Brown shared a trick to identify the gender of a dog by observing its paws.
  • According to the doctor, research from the University of Sydney indicates that male dogs and cats prefer to use their left paw to interact, while female pets use their right.
  • This revelation surprised many pet owners who engaged with his post on Instagram.
Members, which paw do your dogs frequently use? Are they male or female? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Actually, I had dreams of setting up a cattery breeding pure breed Siamese cats but it didn't come to fruition. :(
I was living in Seymour back in the early 70s, husband based at Puckapunyal, when I was breeding Siamese and showing them. I made many good friends through people I sold kittens to, and we went to the shows together. In fact 4 of the kittens from the first litter of 7 made champion and two of those 4 made grand champion. They were great years. I then moved to Bunyip for 18 months and then moved to WA.
I stopped breeding with the cats then, having 3 young children.
Picked it up again when the children were a little older. Was actually lucky enough to win Best in Show with my lilac tortie tabby Siamese one year.
Was a great hobby/pass time, met plenty of different people. Some of them cattier than their cats,lol.

I was living in Seymour back in the early 70s, husband based at Puckapunyal, when I was breeding Siamese and showing them. I made many good friends through people I sold kittens to, and we went to the shows together. In fact 4 of the kittens from the first litter of 7 made champion and two of those 4 made grand champion. They were great years. I then moved to Bunyip for 18 months and then moved to WA.
Picked it up again when the children were a little older. Was actually lucky enough to win Best in Show with my lilac tortie tabby Siamese one year.
Was a great hobby/pass time, met plenty of different people. Some of them cattier than their cats,lol.
That's great! Lilac points are one of my favourites!

Like people who show dogs....so competitive!

Reactions: Leenie
For you!

View attachment 38430

View attachment 38431

I bought a chocolate point for my first girlfriend's 18th birthday back in 1978. She called him Ziggy.

These photos are from the web.
Aren't they just beautiful, makes me feel like starting all over again.
Unfortunately it's quite time consuming, not the breeding so much, but the showing.
Too many caring duties these days to have the time to run around to shows.
I always wanted to have a boarding cattery, but never got around to it.
Guess I'll just have to make do with my Mishka, she's supposed to be a ragdoll cross, but I don't think so.
She looks a bit Siamese, but her face is too round, she has white paws like a Birman, she's not floppy like a ragdoll nor does she have a long coat or the ragdoll temperament, in fact she's quite standoffish.
We also had a Ziggy, but he was a Doberman, we had to have him euthanased a couple of years ago, he was 16 years old, quite an old age for a Doberman. My husband now has a Rotty, Bokja (Korean for Lucky).
Quite a menagerie at our house.

What a wonderful experience... love them to bits!!!