Dr Chris Brown reveals mind-blowing trick to easily solve a problem many dog owners face

Renowned Australian veterinarian and TV personality Dr Chris Brown is well known for sharing intriguing insights and debunking common pet myths.

In a recent social media post, the star of Channel 7 revealed a mind-blowing trick that could solve a problem many dog owners meeting their pets for the first time or the occasional unfortunate veterinarian have—determining a dog’s gender at first glance.

'In the vet hospital, I can tell you there’s nothing more awkward than mixing up the sex of a dog or cat,’ Dr Brown said.

‘It really ruins the vibe. And some names can be a real misdirect…like Luna. Or Jesse!'

'Well, it turns out research says there’s another way to tell boy from girl. You know…apart from looking between their legs!'

SDC Images (4).png
A renowned vet shared a trick pet owners can use to identify their pet’s gender. Image source: Instagram/@drchrisbrown.

In his blog post, Chris shared it was as simple as looking at their paws.

Yes, you read that right… paws.

'It’s one of the simplest training tricks. But asking a dog to shake hands might be saying a lot more than you think,' he wrote.

'That’s because researchers at the University of Sydney found that in both dogs and cats, males prefer to use their left paw while females prefer to use their right to shake.'

He added: 'And even if they’re not into shaking hands, you should still see the same side preference for tasks like reaching under a sofa to grab a treat, flicking off a small piece of tape from their nose or steadying a rolling tennis ball so it doesn’t roll away.'

The doctor’s revelation came as a surprise to many pet owners with one saying: 'Well... I’ve learned something new.'

While another said: 'No way, I would never have known.'

You can see his revelation here:

Source: Instagram/@drool_by_drchrisbrown.

This is not the first time the doctor blew minds away with a revelation back in September, he shared an odd piece of information about what was happening at the vet as the weather warmed up.

He said in a video while showing a photograph of a dog’s nipple: 'So, after today I feel like I need to remind you that this ... is not a tick.'

'The moment tick season begins, which is now, I see a dog a week in the vet hospital where their owner has tried to remove their nipple.'

'Both male and female pets have eight of them, sometimes 10.'

He then showed a photo of what ticks really look like and said: 'So maybe free that .... not the nipple?'

Other users were shocked and could not understand other people’s confusion.

'What? How can folks confuse the two?' one asked.

To which the doctor replied: 'It happens a lot. Especially on the bigger nipples!'

Another user replied: 'I’m in shock that people actually do this.'

While another vet affirmed this phenomenon, saying: 'This is important stuff! I have lost count of how many times I have seen pets whose family tried to remove a nipple.'

You can watch the full video below:

Source: Instagram/@drchrisbrown.

Key Takeaways
  • Channel Seven star and veterinarian Dr Chris Brown shared a trick to identify the gender of a dog by observing its paws.
  • According to the doctor, research from the University of Sydney indicates that male dogs and cats prefer to use their left paw to interact, while female pets use their right.
  • This revelation surprised many pet owners who engaged with his post on Instagram.
Members, which paw do your dogs frequently use? Are they male or female? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Don't have a dog at present but ... I’ve learned something new.

My female tibetan spaniel Bella always taps my arm, when she wants my attention, especially if she wants a treat, but she always uses her "left" paw.
She's a funny little thing, she doesn't like walking on vinyl floors, will never walk across the mat in our TV room, always walks around it, if you ask her if she wants a treat she goes around and around in circles until she gets it.
The little boy "Buddy" is also amusing. He dances on his back legs and then sits up on his rear end with his little paws together in front of him. He can sit like this for ages without falling over. He's my shadow, follows me everywhere even to the toilet.
The other day I had them both, including my cat Mishka in there, she was even trying to sit on my lap.
Life is never dull in my home.

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_133950~2.jpg
    IMG_20230804_133950~2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231020_133941~2.jpg
    IMG_20231020_133941~2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200731_104931~2.jpg
    IMG_20200731_104931~2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
My female tibetan spaniel Bella always taps my arm, when she wants my attention, especially if she wants a treat, but she always uses her "left" paw.
She's a funny little thing, she doesn't like walking on vinyl floors, will never walk across the mat in our TV room, always walks around it, if you ask her if she wants a treat she goes around and around in circles until she gets it.
The little boy "Buddy" is also amusing. He dances on his back legs and then sits up on his rear end with his little paws together in front of him. He can sit like this for ages without falling over. He's my shadow, follows me everywhere even to the toilet.
The other day I had them both, including my cat Mishka in there, she was even trying to sit on my lap.
Life is never dull in my home.
Beautiful photos!

Now I know what a Tibetan spaniel looks like. Very handsome. About the paw preference, does it apply even for animals desexed early in life?

Now I know what a Tibetan spaniel looks like. Very handsome. About the paw preference, does it apply even for animals desexed early in life?
When I tell people I have tibetan spaniels I always get asked "what's a tibetan spaniel". They are pretty uncommon, the monks in Tibet had them many years ago, they were highly prized and given ss gifts to Chinese emperor's and dignitaries .
Not sure about the desexing, mine are both entire, was planning to breed them but Bella is not very cooperative, lol.
When I was walking them recently I had a lady ask me if they were long haired pugs???

Beautiful animals ,as well as loved .
They sure are loved, my husband just said to me "you spoil those dogs rotten". I can't help it, they're adorable.
I am going to NSW in few weeks to see my son and grandkids, he's worried about the dogs fretting, but they'll be fine (as long as he spoils them too, lol)

Renowned Australian veterinarian and TV personality Dr Chris Brown is well known for sharing intriguing insights and debunking common pet myths.

In a recent social media post, the star of Channel 7 revealed a mind-blowing trick that could solve a problem many dog owners meeting their pets for the first time or the occasional unfortunate veterinarian have—determining a dog’s gender at first glance.

'In the vet hospital, I can tell you there’s nothing more awkward than mixing up the sex of a dog or cat,’ Dr Brown said.

‘It really ruins the vibe. And some names can be a real misdirect…like Luna. Or Jesse!'

'Well, it turns out research says there’s another way to tell boy from girl. You know…apart from looking between their legs!'

View attachment 32746
A renowned vet shared a trick pet owners can use to identify their pet’s gender. Image source: Instagram/@drchrisbrown.

'It’s one of the simplest training tricks. But asking a dog to shake hands might be saying a lot more than you think,' he wrote.

'That’s because researchers at the University of Sydney found that in both dogs and cats, males prefer to use their left paw while females prefer to use their right to shake.'

He added: 'And even if they’re not into shaking hands, you should still see the same side preference for tasks like reaching under a sofa to grab a treat, flicking off a small piece of tape from their nose or steadying a rolling tennis ball so it doesn’t roll away.'

The doctor’s revelation came as a surprise to many pet owners with one saying: 'Well... I’ve learned something new.'

This is not the first time the doctor blew minds away with a revelation back in September, he shared an odd piece of information about what was happening at the vet as the weather warmed up.

He said in a video while showing a photograph of a dog’s nipple: 'So, after today I feel like I need to remind you that this ... is not a tick.'

'The moment tick season begins, which is now, I see a dog a week in the vet hospital where their owner has tried to remove their nipple.'

He then showed a photo of what ticks really look like and said: 'So maybe free that .... not the nipple?'

To which the doctor replied: 'It happens a lot. Especially on the bigger nipples!'

While another vet affirmed this phenomenon, saying: 'This is important stuff! I have lost count of how many times I have seen pets whose family tried to remove a nipple.'

Key Takeaways

• Channel Seven star and veterinarian Dr Chris Brown shared a trick to identify the gender of a dog by observing its paws.
  • According to the doctor, research from the University of Sydney indicates that male dogs and cats prefer to use their left paw to interact, while female pets use their right.
  • This revelation surprised many pet owners who engaged with his post on Instagram.
Members, which paw do your dogs frequently use? Are they male or female? Let us know in the comments below!

I have both male and a female dogs and watched to see which paw they use and they both used their paws alternatively so this 'trick' isn't for my little guys

They sure are loved, my husband just said to me "you spoil those dogs rotten". I can't help it, they're adorable.
I am going to NSW in few weeks to see my son and grandkids, he's worried about the dogs fretting, but they'll be fine (as long as he spoils them too, lol)
There is nothing like a woman’s touch, I’m sure he will take good care of them .

When I tell people I have tibetan spaniels I always get asked "what's a tibetan spaniel". They are pretty uncommon, the monks in Tibet had them many years ago, they were highly prized and given ss gifts to Chinese emperor's and dignitaries .
Not sure about the desexing, mine are both entire, was planning to breed them but Bella is not very cooperative, lol.
When I was walking them recently I had a lady ask me if they were long haired pugs???
This person obviously 🙄 doesn’t know anything about dogs 🐶 .

Oh, love your cat, she's beautiful.
Back in my younger days, before I had kids I used to breed and show Siamese cats.
I grew up with Siamese cats. The first was a gift I bought for my father. When I saw my furbaby at the RSPCA for the first time, I knew she was part Siamese and listed as a cross-Ragdoll. I only found out about 3 years ago that she was a Snowshoe.
She was found under a bridge, aged about 1 year, with 5 kittens. It was love at first sight.
She was as feral as they come... but now, 8 years down the track... the love of my life sleeps on my bed with me. ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

View attachment 32746

Key Takeaways

Ha ha ha, that makes me laugh my head off, trying to take the nipples off