Double whammy: Loss of pensioner’s wallet leads to $20,000 in unwarranted fines

In a world where we often hear about identity theft and its consequences, it's easy to think it's something that happens to other people, somewhere else.

However, for one Victorian pensioner, the nightmare became all too real when a lost wallet led to a cascade of unwarranted fines totalling over $20,000.

This story serves as a cautionary tale for all of us, especially those in our community who may not be as familiar with the darker side of modern technology and the importance of safeguarding personal information.

Kelvin Bellette, a part-time pizza delivery driver and disability pensioner from the rural western Victorian town of Colac, experienced a series of unfortunate events that began with a simple mishap: losing his wallet on a Mornington Peninsula bus in 2021.

After reporting the loss to the police, he thought the matter would be resolved once his wallet was returned.

However, the real trouble started when he discovered his driver's license was missing from the wallet.

compressed-shutterstock_2177865337.jpeg
Kelvin Bellette faced over $20,000 in fines after being wrongly accused of numerous traffic violations following the loss of his wallet. Credits: Shutterstock

Since then, Mr Bellette has been bombarded with a staggering 60 traffic offences in the Mornington Peninsula area, a place over 200 kilometres away from his new home in Colac.

He insisted only four were legitimately his. The offences ranged from speeding to driving without a seatbelt and even driving an unregistered car through a toll zone.

The situation escalated to the point where Mr Bellette, in an attempt to manage the overwhelming fines, started a payment plan.

It was a decision made under duress, as he struggled to cope with the financial and emotional stress of being wrongfully accused.

It wasn't until early 2023 that Mr Bellette sought the help of Colac lawyer Tony Pyrtz, who took a closer look at the evidence.

Upon requesting photos related to the offences, it became clear that someone other than Mr Bellette was behind the wheel.

‘He’s been in a spiral of dealing with fines that aren’t his,’ Mr Pyrtz said, highlighting the distress and confusion his client has been facing.

‘Nothing’s ever been done about it until now, so they’ve gotten away with it.’

Fines Victoria, the agency responsible for managing fines in the state, provided a list of individuals who had all nominated Mr Bellette as the driver during these offences.

This revelation was a breakthrough, as Mr Pyrtz stated, ‘Now we’ve investigated a bit more, we’ve found out most of them aren’t his at all and it would appear he has been falsely nominated as the driver.’

The investigation uncovered that a trades business in the Mornington Peninsula district—where Mr Pyrtz claimed that his client’s name had been ‘shopped around’—along with seven other individuals, had accused Mr Bellette of various offences with different vehicles.

‘Kelvin has never owned or been in any of these vehicles, and he doesn’t know any of the people who nominated him as the responsible driver,’ Mr Pyrtz explained.

The misuse of Mr Bellette's identity was not only a personal violation but also a serious offence under Victorian law.

Knowingly providing false or misleading information in a nomination statement could result in hefty fines of more than $9,000 and even the loss of a licence for individuals and even larger fines, in excess of $18,000, for organisations.

Mr Bellette and his lawyer are now working with the Department of Justice to untangle this web of false accusations and clear his name.

Mr Bellette’s situation highlighted the challenges faced by seniors in navigating modern technology and bureaucracy.

The story underscores the importance of understanding and advocating for the rights of older adults, particularly when it comes to issues such as fines and penalties.

It also echoed the experience of another senior driver who, despite never owning a mobile phone, found himself facing a fine for allegedly using one while driving.

These instances shed light on the complexities of living in a digital age for older Australians and the need for greater awareness and support within the community.
Key Takeaways
  • A Victorian pensioner was wrongly accused of numerous traffic violations and faced over $20,000 in fines.
  • Kelvin Bellette lost his wallet, including his driver's licence, which led to his being falsely nominated for offences he didn't commit.
  • With the help of his lawyer, Tony Pyrtz, evidence revealed another person was driving in the offending instances, and multiple individuals wrongly attributed offences to Mr Bellette.
  • Authorities were now involved, with the trades business and several individuals scrutinised for potentially providing false information on offence nomination statements, which carries heavy fines and penalties under Victorian law.
Have you or someone you know ever faced a similar issue? What would you do if you were in Mr Bellette’s position? Share your experiences and how you would resolve them in the comments below.

Sponsored
You see people arguing with police that they were not using their phone while driving. Surely they only need to hand over their phone to prove it, one way or the other, the record of calls and times is there in the phone.
What a mess for this poor
gentleman. Pity he hadn't done something about it a lot earlier.
Hope they catch this scum and they get massive fines.

You see people arguing with police that they were not using their phone while driving. Surely they only need to hand over their phone to prove it, one way or the other, the record of calls and times is there in the phone.
What a mess for this poor
gentleman. Pity he hadn't done something about it a lot earlier.
Hope they catch this scum and they get massive fines.
so do I. People babble on about "new technology" but it causes more trouble than it's worth. Give me pen and paper any time.. I do hope this gentleman gets this sorted out very soon but I also wonder how much his solicitor will charge for his services.

I haven't used a wallet for 26 years. I was advised by a chiropractor that no matter how thin the wallet is, itstill twists your spine when sitting on it in your car. Licence in a small card carrier. Money safely tucked away somewhere else (not a nasty place). All 'other' cards in a larger card carrier in a backpack or similar.

I hope the VIC cash register/revenue service has returned all his money.

He has my sympathy but again when will this age group learn the pitfalls of life or scams out there? Did he cancel his licence when he realised it wasn't in the wallet? Doesn't seem like it. You cancel credit/debit cards, why not your licence?
It's tiring reading how people are duped.

I haven't used a wallet for 26 years. I was advised by a chiropractor that no matter how thin the wallet is, itstill twists your spine when sitting on it in your car. Licence in a small card carrier. Money safely tucked away somewhere else (not a nasty place). All 'other' cards in a larger card carrier in a backpack or similar.

I hope the VIC cash register/revenue service has returned all his money.
Put your wallet in a front pocket. Some pants I have bought recently have no back pockets which makes you put it somewhere else.

Also makes you less of a victim of pickpockets. Do they still exist?

Reactions: DLHM
but is there one in the country town of Colac? They are often rare in small towns.
The nearest Legal Aid Victoria office is Geelong which is 80 kms away.

But he has no problem with mobility as he lost his wallet on a Mornington Peninsula bus. Which is a 220 km drive from Colac.

Why was he so far from home on a bus?? :unsure:

Reactions: DLHM
In my 70's, a young man ran up traffic fines ($2,500) when purchasing my former car & not re-registering it in his own name. I didnt panic, I thought it funny he thought he could get away with it. All I had to do was prove I was not in another State where the offences occured & the authorities dealt with it. Also I could prove I dont have a mobile phone so that was easily fixed! Be alert of your rights & assert them.

Surely the only way to associate these offences with this man would be to sight the driving licence. So it seems the law enforcement officer didn't check that the offending driver was the legitimate owner of the licence.
Based on this report, there doesn't seem to be any connection between this man and any of the vehicles, so how is it that he is the accused?

Reactions: SandyM
I’m wondering why this gentleman didn’t seek advice earlier and why would you start a payment plan for fines that you know that you didn’t accumulate? Surely if he doesn’t have family a neighbour or local business owner would have advised him. I don’t understand why he didn’t seek help before thinking he had to pay it off.

from experience. DO NOT ever lose your drivers licence. We did. It was replaced with the same numbers, once I twigged it was via the police we were issued new numbers. still did not work as when they ask for credit, companies just okay it with the old licence. I spent 6 months+ crying everyday with our credit. The police were useless.

• Wow
Reactions: PattiB
I had a friend regularly had his wallet fall out of his pockets. Always wore 'trakky' pants for comfort. Be aware of side pockets! I now insist that all the pants he purchases have a ZIPPER on any side pocket, or cargo pants that have that lower pocket with a decent flap and velcro closure. It has made a huge difference and wallet has not slipped out since. You have to shop around to find the ones with side zippers, but worth it.

when you notice that your wallet, AND your drivers licence has been stolen, cancel your licence STRAIGHT AWAY, and apply to be issued with a new one. This happened to me a LONG time ago. hope my suggestion helps.

Reactions: CristinaV
The gentleman whose fine for using his phone was waived should have received some sort of fine for careless driving. He is staring intently at an object and not watching the road.

Surely the only way to associate these offences with this man would be to sight the driving licence. So it seems the law enforcement officer didn't check that the offending driver was the legitimate owner of the licence.
Based on this report, there doesn't seem to be any connection between this man and any of the vehicles, so how is it that he is the
The reason is because the fines were from speed cameras and toll fines they are nominating from the details on his licence there were no police officers involved.

Reactions: Leenie
The guy obviously has some sort of disability we don’t know his situation so shouldn’t judge what he should or shouldn’t have done he might very well struggle with mental issues and doesn’t have a good circle of friends and family.