Doritos’ newest chip flavour stuns online: ‘Is this a joke?’

Usually, snacks aren't big conversation starters. But Doritos' latest tortilla chip flavour has taken social media by storm, splitting opinions among foodies everywhere.

Doritos recently launched a brand new coriander flavour yesterday and it has already divided fans.

coriander-390708_1280.jpg
A study has shown that coriander, rich in vitamins C and K, may help prevent Alzheimer's. Image source: Pixabay.

Coriander ranks among the most controversial and least-liked flavours in history–with about one in five people saying they can taste ‘bar soap’ due to a super-sensitivity to aldehydes.

Aldehydes are organic compounds commonly found in many fragrances, flavourings, preservatives, cleaning agents, and solvents.

Vandita Pandey, Chief Marketing Officer of PepsiCo ANZ (Doritos’ parent company) told FEMAIL: ‘We know some Doritos fans are going to love it, but we also know some will hate it.

‘With the taste of coriander being one of Australia's most divisive flavours, we want to boldly launch the flavour in chip form and see if coriander really does taste like soap.’

Some fans shared their thoughts, but they couldn’t seem to agree on anything.

For many, the idea is a hit.

‘Oh my god, I love coriander! Almost as much as Cool Ranch—I am so down to try this,’ one fan said.

Another added, ‘Coriander’s taste is decent with the right food, so I'm game to test them.’

Some even went to great lengths to express their excitement, with comments like, ‘Coriander is the best, I put it in everything…and the smell, omg (oh my god) I inhale it so hard when chopping’ and ‘Coriander is my drug!..these chips will be epic!’

Doritos Australia introduced a new 'coriander' flavour, but it has sparked mixed reactions among loyal fans. Image source: Social media – Doritos Australia (@doritos_aus)

However, not everyone is on board.

One fan was sceptical, ‘Coriander is a waste of time to add to any recipe. HOWEVER, could Doritos change my mind about coriander?’

Another seemed taken aback, questioning: ‘Is this a joke? This is not April Fool’s?’

More direct criticisms included, ‘Yeah, coriander sucks a**’ and ‘Coriander is awful’.

‘Honestly, I loathe coriander. When I taste it in a dish after asking for none, it ruins my meal. So why on earth would I want my Doritos ruined as well?’ one fan commented.

‘Ah, coriander how I loathe thee, the only other thing that makes me itch more is soap,’ another wrote.

Doritos released their new coriander-flavoured chips in Australia, but they're not available in stores.

Instead, a limited number of these chips are up for grabs exclusively through a giveaway on Doritos’ Instagram account, Doritos Australia (@doritos_aus).

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 9.15.22 AM.png
Participants are required to submit their entries through their personal Facebook or Instagram accounts, with a maximum limit of one entry per individual per day. Image source: Social media – Instagram (@doritos_aus)

To participate, head to Doritos Australia’s post and simply comment why you're a fan or not of coriander in 100 words or less.

Every day, 25 people have the chance to win a pack. The top answers will be rewarded with one of the 350 limited-edition Doritos Coriander packs up for grabs.

The competition started yesterday at 9:00 AM AEST and will end at 5:00 PM AEDT on 17th October. Detailed terms and conditions can be accessed via this link.

‘We’re excited to see the reaction of chip-lovers from across the country as they try our super-limited-edition Doritos Coriander,’ said the Chief Marketing Officer.

‘We know some fans are going to love it, but we also know some will hate it—our legendary triangular corn chip is ready to put tastebuds to the test.

‘With the taste of coriander being one of Australia’s most divisive flavours, we want to boldly launch the flavour in chip form and see if coriander really does taste like soap.

‘Will it be a sensational hit or a soapy miss?’

Key Takeaways

• Doritos’ new coriander chip has stirred social media debate.
  • Feedback is mixed; some think it's a joke, and others are excited to taste it.
  • The coriander-flavoured chips are only available via a Doritos’ social media giveaway.
  • Vandita Pandey, Chief Marketing Officer ANZ, PepsiCo awaits varied reactions to this unique flavour./
Members, what's your take on Doritos’ new coriander chip flavour? Will you try it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Usually, snacks aren't big conversation starters. But Doritos' latest tortilla chip flavour has taken social media by storm, splitting opinions among foodies everywhere.

Doritos recently launched a brand new coriander flavour yesterday and it has already divided fans.

View attachment 31569
A study has shown that coriander, rich in vitamins C and K, may help prevent Alzheimer's. Image source: Pixabay.

Coriander ranks among the most controversial and least-liked flavours in history–-with about one in five people saying they can taste ‘bar soap’ due to a super-sensitivity to aldehydes.

Aldehydes are organic compounds commonly found in many fragrances, flavourings, preservatives, cleaning agents, and solvents.

Vandita Pandey, Chief Marketing Officer of PepsiCo ANZ (Doritos’ parent company) told FEMAIL: ‘We know some Doritos fans are going to love it, but we also know some will hate it.

‘With the taste of coriander being one of Australia's most divisive flavours, we want to boldly launch the flavour in chip form and see if coriander really does taste like soap.’

‘Oh my god, I love coriander! Almost as much as Cool Ranch—I am so down to try this,’ one fan said.

Another added, ‘Coriander’s taste is decent with the right food, so I'm game to test them.’

Some even went to great lengths to express their excitement, with comments like, ‘Coriander is the best, I put it in everything…and the smell, omg (oh my god) I inhale it so hard when chopping’ and ‘Coriander is my drug!..these chips will be epic!’

Doritos Australia introduced a new 'coriander' flavour, but it has sparked mixed reactions among loyal fans. Image source: Social media – Doritos Australia (@doritos_aus)

One fan was sceptical, ‘Coriander is a waste of time to add to any recipe. HOWEVER, could Doritos change my mind about coriander?’

Another seemed taken aback, questioning: ‘Is this a joke? This is not April Fool’s?’

More direct criticisms included, ‘Yeah, coriander sucks a**’ and ‘Coriander is awful’.

‘Honestly, I loathe coriander. When I taste it in a dish after asking for none, it ruins my meal. So why on earth would I want my Doritos ruined as well?’ one fan commented.

‘Ah, coriander how I loathe thee, the only other thing that makes me itch more is soap,’ another wrote.

Doritos released their new coriander-flavoured chips in Australia, but they're not available in stores.

Instead, a limited number of these chips are up for grabs exclusively through a giveaway on Doritos’ Instagram account, Doritos Australia (@doritos_aus).

View attachment 31571
Participants are required to submit their entries through their personal Facebook or Instagram accounts, with a maximum limit of one entry per individual per day. Image source: Social media – Instagram (@doritos_aus)

To participate, head to Doritos Australia’s post and simply comment why you're a fan or not of coriander in 100 words or less.

Every day, 25 people have the chance to win a pack. The top answers will be rewarded with one of the 350 limited-edition Doritos Coriander packs up for grabs.

The competition started yesterday at 9:00 AM AEST and will end at 5:00 PM AEDT on 17th October. Detailed terms and conditions can be accessed via this link.

‘We’re excited to see the reaction of chip-lovers from across the country as they try our super-limited-edition Doritos Coriander,’ said the Chief Marketing Officer.

‘We know some fans are going to love it, but we also know some will hate it—our legendary triangular corn chip is ready to put tastebuds to the test.

‘With the taste of coriander being one of Australia’s most divisive flavours, we want to boldly launch the flavour in chip form and see if coriander really does taste like soap.

Key Takeaways

• Feedback is mixed; some think it's a joke, and others are excited to taste it.
  • The coriander-flavoured chips are only available via a Doritos’ social media giveaway.
  • Vandita Pandey, Chief Marketing Officer ANZ, PepsiCo awaits varied reactions to this unique flavour./
Members, what's your take on Doritos’ new coriander chip flavour? Will you try it? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

I don't like the plain ones, so I won't be having flavoured cardboard?

Last edited:
what a crazy competition......you only express your 'thoughts' on the taste of Coriander.......but you have no opportunity to taste the actual product that they want to sell-----MAYBE. The only time that you might get to taste the product is if your 'thoughts' about Coriander's taste appeals to the Doritos Marketing people....even then only 25 people a day get to try the actual product if their 'thoughts' are deemed a winner- (?) (?) 🤦‍♂️😂

View attachment 31569

Coriander ranks among the most controversial and least-liked flavours in history–with about one in five people saying they can taste ‘bar soap’ due to a super-sensitivity to aldehydes.

View attachment 31571

Key Takeaways

Do they want to sell chips or go broke? This is madness! Whoever said in some board meeting over a new flavour 'Yep let's go for Corriander" needs to be locked up in the psych ward or demoted to sweeping the floors. Corriander flavour chips need to be put in the incinerator like all sugar free soft drink. Just YUCK!

Reactions: Ricci
Do they want to sell chips or go broke? This is madness! Whoever said in some board meeting over a new flavour 'Yep let's go for Corriander" needs to be locked up in the psych ward or demoted to sweeping the floors. Corriander flavour chips need to be put in the incinerator like all sugar free soft drink. Just YUCK!
Yeah but have you tried them though😁they might be yummier than they sound🙀

I've had coriander in heaps of recipes but I couldn't tell you what it honestly tastes like. o_O
I actually couldn’t tell you if I’ve ever had coriander my sister asked me that question “yonks” ago and I didn’t know🙀