Don't make this common fridge-cleaning mistake: Woman's warning goes viral

When it comes to cleaning, we have to be mindful to use the right tools for the job. After all, using the wrong materials could end up doing more harm than good, such as scratching surfaces or causing long-term damage. One such item that could either help or harm depending on the cleaning situation is steel wool.

While it may be an amazing cleaning tool, it's not suitable for cleaning all surfaces.

One woman recently posted a video on social media to remind all of us of the importance of being careful when cleaning stainless steel.

The woman, who goes by @takingcareofcleaning on TikTok, uploaded a video of her stainless steel fridge showing how scratched up it became after her husband tried to help out with the cleaning while home for the holidays.

'Steel wool does not mean clean stainless steel,' she captioned the video, speaking for all of us who’ve accidentally scratched a stainless steel surface…

clean1.jpg
The woman’s fridge is now scratched up. Credit: takingcareofcleaning/TikTok

‘Yeah, now we have these kind of abstract scratch marks. I have no words people. I have no words,’ the mum-of-one said in the clip.

The clip has since gone viral and has got a lot of people talking, with many joking that the husband probably used steel wool so he wouldn’t have to clean anything ever again.

‘He knew better. Just never wants to clean the fridge again,’ one stated.

One shared that this could be a ‘trick’ that her husband used so that she’ll never have to ask for his help ever again.

‘Steel wool! He wouldn’t take it to his car so why would he take it to the fridge?’ Another commented.

Someone else said he ‘certainly knew better’ while one agreed and said there was ‘no way’ he didn’t do that on purpose.

steel1.jpg
You can buy an 8-pack of steel wool at Woolworths. Credit: Woolworths

Others advised the woman to ‘get a new one and make him pay’.

‘Do that every time he ruins something cleaning. He will be the best cleaner in no time,’ one woman explained.

Others were more sympathetic and believed it was an ‘honest mistake’.

‘This seems like an honest mistake. I used a rough sponge to get some crusted spots off my fridge and scratched it. I had no idea that could happen,’ one said.

‘I’m sure he had the best intentions,’ another offered.

Someone else shared that their mum did the same thing. ‘Some people just don’t think about things,’ they added.

Many suggested ways to remove the scratches to salvage the ‘ruined’ fridge.

‘We used a car scratch remover and it worked great,’ someone stated. While another social media user advised the woman to ‘buff out’ the scratches with a polisher.

‘I would take a soft buffer to it and then use oil and rub it in with the grain. I used oil on my stainless island and it worked like a charm,’ said one man.

Despite the numerous comments on her video, the woman believes that her husband had a bit of a brain fog moment and doesn’t think he made the mistake intentionally! You can watch her entire video below:

So, we know steel wool shouldn’t be used on all surfaces, but what other items or furniture should we avoid cleaning with steel wool?

Wooden furniture and floors: Wood is a soft material and can easily get scratched. It could even make your wooden surfaces vulnerable to moisture. To clean, use a solution made of water and mild dish soap and gently wipe down the surface.

Plastic: Similar to wood, plastic is susceptible to scratching. You’re better off using ordinary sponges when cleaning plastic items and surfaces.

Non-Stick Pans: Steel wool works great for cleaning stainless steel or aluminium cookware, however, not all cookware is the same. Using steel wool on non-stick pans damages the pan’s surface. Using a sponge and dish soap will get the job done sufficiently.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman posted a video on TikTok of when her husband attempted to clean their stainless steel fridge with steel wool.
  • The result was scratch marks on the fridge door.
  • Many people suggested that the husband may have been trying to avoid future cleanings.
  • Others believe it was an honest mistake.
Have you ever made any cleaning mistakes like this one? What other items should you avoid using steel wool on? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
My partner decided to 'decorate' the metal tabletop!! Just like a 5yo let loose with a texta. To give him the benefit he does have absence seizures. And he did try to clean it before I saw it. But he did do it.

Reactions: Ricci
How can you get angry if you hubby just tried to help. He would have thought that the steel wool would have got it sparkly clean.

Poor man he is probably damned if he does and damned if he dont

Last edited:
Reactions: Groovy and Ricci
When it comes to cleaning, we have to be mindful to use the right tools for the job. After all, using the wrong materials could end up doing more harm than good, such as scratching surfaces or causing long-term damage. One such item that could either help or harm depending on the cleaning situation is steel wool.

While it may be an amazing cleaning tool, it's not suitable for cleaning all surfaces.

One woman recently posted a video on social media to remind all of us of the importance of being careful when cleaning stainless steel.

The woman, who goes by @takingcareofcleaning on TikTok, uploaded a video of her stainless steel fridge showing how scratched up it became after her husband tried to help out with the cleaning while home for the holidays.

'Steel wool does not mean clean stainless steel,' she captioned the video, speaking for all of us who’ve accidentally scratched a stainless steel surface…

View attachment 12192

‘Yeah, now we have these kind of abstract scratch marks. I have no words people. I have no words,’ the mum-of-one said in the clip.

The clip has since gone viral and has got a lot of people talking, with many joking that the husband probably used steel wool so he wouldn’t have to clean anything ever again.

One shared that this could be a ‘trick’ that her husband used so that she’ll never have to ask for his help ever again.

‘Steel wool! He wouldn’t take it to his car so why would he take it to the fridge?’ Another commented.

Someone else said he ‘certainly knew better’ while one agreed and said there was ‘no way’ he didn’t do that on purpose.

‘Do that every time he ruins something cleaning. He will be the best cleaner in no time,’ one woman explained.

‘This seems like an honest mistake. I used a rough sponge to get some crusted spots off my fridge and scratched it. I had no idea that could happen,’ one said.

Someone else shared that their mum did the same thing. ‘Some people just don’t think about things,’ they added.

‘We used a car scratch remover and it worked great,’ someone stated. While another social media user advised the woman to ‘buff out’ the scratches with a polisher.

‘I would take a soft buffer to it and then use oil and rub it in with the grain. I used oil on my stainless island and it worked like a charm,’ said one man.

Despite the numerous comments on her video, the woman believes that her husband had a bit of a brain fog moment and doesn’t think he made the mistake intentionally! You can watch her entire video below:

So, we know steel wool shouldn’t be used on all surfaces, but what other items or furniture should we avoid cleaning with steel wool?

Wooden furniture and floors: Wood is a soft material and can easily get scratched. It could even make your wooden surfaces vulnerable to moisture. To clean, use a solution made of water and mild dish soap and gently wipe down the surface.

Plastic: Similar to wood, plastic is susceptible to scratching. You’re better off using ordinary sponges when cleaning plastic items and surfaces.

Non-Stick Pans: Steel wool works great for cleaning stainless steel or aluminium cookware, however, not all cookware is the same. Using steel wool on non-stick pans damages the pan’s surface. Using a sponge and dish soap will get the job done sufficiently.

Key Takeaways

• A woman posted a video on TikTok of when her husband attempted to clean their stainless steel fridge with steel wool.
  • Many people suggested that the husband may have been trying to avoid future cleanings.
Have you ever made any cleaning mistakes like this one? What other items should you avoid using steel wool on? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below!

Get the coursest scouring pads from Bunnings black or white rub up and down in a straight line till you get the correct finish on the fridge you can also buy stainless steel polish in a spray can spray it on wipe it off (BY HAND NO MACHINERY) good luck

View attachment 12192

Key Takeaways

Doesn't look too bad, maybe a bit of very fine wire wool rubbing straight with a bit of oil fine cutting compound followed by a light oiling may fix the problem.

Have you noticed your stainless steel sink doesn't get scratched when you use steel wool on it? that's because it is "stainless steel" unlike the fridge, my so called stainless steel fridge is now rusting in places, because the thin plastic coating over the so called stainless steel has worn through, Stainless steel does not rust.IMG_20230222_081905_7391.jpg

Reactions: debjoel21
Have you noticed your stainless steel sink doesn't get scratched when you use steel wool on it? that's because it is "stainless steel" unlike the fridge, my so called stainless steel fridge is now rusting in places, because the thin plastic coating over the so called stainless steel has worn through, Stainless steel does not rust.View attachment 14155
That being the case then I hope you kept the receipts and try to get your money back as you bought an appliance made of stainless steel, if you can prove the item is not stainless steel then you have a claim.