Don't lose your Facebook account: Discover the scam that's locking unsuspecting users out

Social media scams have been on the rise in recent years as criminals look for new ways to steal personal information.

One cunning scam that is currently making rounds on social media targets Facebook users through fake copyright notices. According to a cybersecurity firm, reports of this scam have doubled in the last six months alone.

According to Cybernews, the scam works by sending emails that appear to come from Facebook, claiming the recipient's account has been suspended for violating someone else's copyright.

The email will threaten the victim that their account will be permanently disabled if action is not taken within 24 hours. They will be urged to click the link included to submit an appeal about the copyright claim. But clicking it leads to a convincing fake login page designed to steal the victim’s credentials.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 085453.png
Facebook users have been targeted by a fake infringement notice. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Those who fell victim to the scam find their accounts being renamed to ‘Meta Copyright Infringement’ or other variation, or sometimes their account would be disabled.

Other victims experienced credit card fraud, damages to their suspended business accounts, and even lost photographs they posted over the years.

Some victims noticed that their hacked accounts were used to share explicit or violent content, with one person saying there was a picture of two men armed with AK-47 guns posted on their behalf, ‘written in a language I do not understand’.

This scam is not exclusive to Facebook, however, as Instagram users were hit with similar fake copyright infringement emails in the past. But since Facebook is older, the platform has many more photographs, contacts, and memories that can disappear should the user lose their account.

Unfortunately, affected users who reached out to Meta Platforms—Facebook and Instagram’s parent company—were left frustrated with the company’s inaction on the issue.

‘I've had this account for 16 years, and it’s linked to all my business accounts, and I cannot use anything. When putting in an appeal using the form, it immediately says I cannot review,’ a victim shared.

‘I have deceased family members and thousands of photos and memories I don’t want to lose…Emailed countless Facebook support emails, and I haven’t heard anything back! Very frustrating,’ a second victim stated.

As of writing, Meta has not released a comment about this scam.

According to Joe Karasin, Head of Karasin PPC Digital Marketing Company, deleted items or photos in a victim's account will not be recovered.

He explained: ‘I have several clients that have experienced this scam. Facebook has been little help to any of them. If you fall victim to the scam, you can go through the account recovery process, however, any data you gave to the scammers or your photos might be lost forever.’

He added that If financial damage is involved, users should immediately notify their bank to recover their money and replace their exposed bank details.

‘The best advice I can give is to know that Facebook will not send you a direct message, ever, especially to a personal account. If you are seriously in violation of a copyright issue, it will appear in your notifications, not Messenger, and most likely not in your email,’ Mr Karasin advised.

He also stated that everyone should be suspicious of the links in messages from people they don’t know.

‘If someone you do know messages you but they seem off, ask them a question only you and they would know the answer to. If they can't answer it, block and report the account immediately,’ he continued.

For those who were affected by this type of scam, Gary Huestis of Powerhouse Forensics said that victims should report their compromised account to: facebook.com/hacked.

He shared: ‘You should also check your Facebook messages and posts to see if the attacker sent any messages to your friends acting as you or posted any content to try to get more people to fall for this scam.’

‘As with other types of scams and phishing attacks, pay attention to any emails or messages that ask you to enter your password or provide any security information,’ Mr Huestis added.

He also advised people to go to Security Settings to enable login alerts and two-factor authentication.

Here’s a tutorial on how to change your Privacy and Security Settings on Facebook:

With over 2 billion users globally, Facebook remains a prime target. But wise internet users who practice safe online habits can avoid this frustrating fate.

Key Takeaways
  • A scam is currently targeting Facebook users by locking them out of their accounts.
  • The scam involves a fake copyright infringement notice, luring users to a phishing site to harvest their login credentials.
  • Victims of this scam have struggled to recover their accounts, with some reporting that their account was renamed to 'Meta Copyright Infringement' or used to share explicit or violent content.
  • To stay safe, users are advised not to click on suspicious links, use strong and unique passwords, and consider investing in identity theft protection services.

Stay vigilant, ask questions, and don't let scammers rush you into reckless clicks. With a little care, you can keep enjoying social media scam-free.

Have you, or anyone you know, experienced this type of scam? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Social media scams have been on the rise in recent years as criminals look for new ways to steal personal information.

One cunning scam that is currently making rounds on social media targets Facebook users through fake copyright notices. According to a cybersecurity firm, reports of this scam have doubled in the last six months alone.

According to Cybernews, the scam works by sending emails that appear to come from Facebook, claiming the recipient's account has been suspended for violating someone else's copyright.

The email will threaten the victim that their account will be permanently disabled if action is not taken within 24 hours. They will be urged to click the link included to submit an appeal about the copyright claim. But clicking it leads to a convincing fake login page designed to steal the victim’s credentials.

View attachment 32402
Facebook users have been targeted by a fake infringement notice. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Those who fell victim to the scam find their accounts being renamed to ‘Meta Copyright Infringement’ or other variation, or sometimes their account would be disabled.

Other victims experienced credit card fraud, damages to their suspended business accounts, and even lost photographs they posted over the years.

Some victims noticed that their hacked accounts were used to share explicit or violent content, with one person saying there was a picture of two men armed with AK-47 guns posted on their behalf, ‘written in a language I do not understand’.

This scam is not exclusive to Facebook, however, as Instagram users were hit with similar fake copyright infringement emails in the past. But since Facebook is older, the platform has many more photographs, contacts, and memories that can disappear should the user lose their account.

Unfortunately, affected users who reached out to Meta Platforms—Facebook and Instagram’s parent company—were left frustrated with the company’s inaction on the issue.

‘I've had this account for 16 years, and it’s linked to all my business accounts, and I cannot use anything. When putting in an appeal using the form, it immediately says I cannot review,’ a victim shared.

‘I have deceased family members and thousands of photos and memories I don’t want to lose…Emailed countless Facebook support emails, and I haven’t heard anything back! Very frustrating,’ a second victim stated.

According to Joe Karasin, Head of Karasin PPC Digital Marketing Company, deleted items or photos in a victim's account will not be recovered.

He explained: ‘I have several clients that have experienced this scam. Facebook has been little help to any of them. If you fall victim to the scam, you can go through the account recovery process, however, any data you gave to the scammers or your photos might be lost forever.’

He added that If financial damage is involved, users should immediately notify their bank to recover their money and replace their exposed bank details.

‘The best advice I can give is to know that Facebook will not send you a direct message, ever, especially to a personal account. If you are seriously in violation of a copyright issue, it will appear in your notifications, not Messenger, and most likely not in your email,’ Mr Karasin advised.

He also stated that everyone should be suspicious of the links in messages from people they don’t know.

‘If someone you do know messages you but they seem off, ask them a question only you and they would know the answer to. If they can't answer it, block and report the account immediately,’ he continued.

For those who were affected by this type of scam, Gary Huestis of Powerhouse Forensics said that victims should report their compromised account to: facebook.com/hacked.

He shared: ‘You should also check your Facebook messages and posts to see if the attacker sent any messages to your friends acting as you or posted any content to try to get more people to fall for this scam.’

‘As with other types of scams and phishing attacks, pay attention to any emails or messages that ask you to enter your password or provide any security information,’ Mr Huestis added.

He also advised people to go to Security Settings to enable login alerts and two-factor authentication.

Here’s a tutorial on how to change your Privacy and Security Settings on Facebook:

With over 2 billion users globally, Facebook remains a prime target. But wise internet users who practice safe online habits can avoid this frustrating fate.

Key Takeaways

• A scam is currently targeting Facebook users by locking them out of their accounts.
  • The scam involves a fake copyright infringement notice, luring users to a phishing site to harvest their login credentials.
  • Victims of this scam have struggled to recover their accounts, with some reporting that their account was renamed to 'Meta Copyright Infringement' or used to share explicit or violent content.
  • To stay safe, users are advised not to click on suspicious links, use strong and unique passwords, and consider investing in identity theft protection services.

Stay vigilant, ask questions, and don't let scammers rush you into reckless clicks. With a little care, you can keep enjoying social media scam-free.

Have you, or anyone you know, experienced this type of scam? Let us know in the comments below!

Hi, I've been caught out a couple of times through Google adds. Most recently an about TEMU the new Chinese company that has started operating in Australia, They are quite big in the USA and of course China.
The add says that TEMU have a lot of returned stock and You can buy a Box of various goodies for $5-, sounds good so I did. Input my Debit card details and paid. I actually bought 2.
The seller, who is not TEMU then Start charging your account. For odd amounts. $20,30,50- etc.
I saw these charges on my account. Rang my Bank and did a disputed transaction report. Also put a Stop on my Card. The bank were very helpful and got my money back and I got a new card. I contacted TEMU who I have bought off before and they are good. They informed me they don't sell via Google or Facebook.
They only use their own Website.
I also saw adds from Amazon and Australia Post. Again these are Scams but they look convincing and offer great deals. Trouble is they are Not real and You won't get any goods.
They also use other people's profiles to say how good the items are, but it's all a SCAM.
Be careful. Mark

View attachment 32402

Key Takeaways

View attachment 32402

Key Takeaways

Wouldn't it be more prudent to store your photos somewhere else other than Facebook? An external hard drive is my choice for storage.

View attachment 32402

Key Takeaways

Once again!
The only reason scams succeed is because of people’s own stupidity.
DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS in emails you get unless you are 100% sure of its authenticity.
And if you provide ANY personal details the you are a fool and deserve to be scammed!
If you get any threatening emails from Facebook or anywhere else just simply ignore them!

View attachment 32402

Key Takeaways

I am ont on any of the media programs and have no intention of joining, fourten years I joined Facebook to help a young lass in Polland on a one time basis, have been unable to cancel this shite ever since ever since so goes straight to bin.

If you have photos and videos on fb that you don’t want to lose,you can easily back them up to your computer using their download all drop down box. Only takes a few minutes. There is nothing in my fb that I could give two hoots about if scammers got hold of it. No personal info,no nothing. All my pics are backed up,so I’m not worried. Thankfully,thanks to my son,my account was locked down right from the very beginning.

View attachment 32402

Key Takeaways

And once again and again and again as I have said many many times before!
If anyone clicks on any of these links on any of these posts, emails ect then more fool them.
HOW MANY TIMES DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE WARNED?
DO NOT click on any link that you have not had confirmed by the actual sender. A quick phone call usually solves the issue.
I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for anyone caught in these scams!
the only reasons scams succeeded is because of stupid people!

Reactions: Defiant540
Wouldn't it be more prudent to store your photos somewhere else other than Facebook? An external hard drive is my choice for storage.
We also have a backup external drive for everything on our computer and another one just for photos. Don’t use Facebook WhatsApp etc so, hopefully, will not be a victim of any scam especially money from our bank account.

Reactions: Abby2
What I would like to know, is how do they keep advertising $4000 electric "scooters" (gophers) for sale at $45 or some other stupid price. I decided to buy one recently and ended up with a pair of gloves. Surely there must be a "Watchdog" that we can contact to bring this nonsense to their attention.

• Haha
What I would like to know, is how do they keep advertising $4000 electric "scooters" (gophers) for sale at $45 or some other stupid price. I decided to buy one recently and ended up with a pair of gloves. Surely there must be a "Watchdog" that we can contact to bring this nonsense to their attention.
Why did you even think of buying an electric scooter for $45 when you knew the price was in the vicinity of $4000. There was a SCAM staring you right in the face; why do people think the government, banks and ‘watchdogs’ etc MUST be there to protect our stupidity? I just cannot understand this lack of common sense.