Domino's Australia slices up controversy with latest explosive menu addition

In the ever-evolving world of fast food, Domino's Australia has thrown a cheesy curveball that's got the nation talking.

The pizza giant recently introduced this item, generating a wave of opinions, with some embracing the change while others express reservations.

The Cheese Volcano is a bold creation that takes the concept of a cheese dish to an explosive new level.

Priced at $10, this side dish is crafted from pizza dough shaped into a bowl, generously stuffed with Mozzarella cheese, and filled to the brim with what Domino's describes as 'molten hot' cheese.

It's a dish that's sure to ignite conversation, with options to add a side of crinkle-cut chips for ‘dipping’ into the cheesy abyss.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 110825.jpg
Domino’s released the Cheese Volcano, made from pizza dough filled with Mozzarella cheese, and a 'molten hot' cheese centre. Credits: Domino’s Australia

Domino's Chief Marketing Officer ANZ, Allan Collins, indicated that the Cheese Volcano is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to cheese-centric innovations.

'We're giving customers more of what they love by championing everyone's favourite pizza topping like never before,' he said.

The development of the Cheese Volcano was no overnight affair.

Domino's Head of Product Development & Innovation, Michael Treacy, revealed that the company spent three years perfecting a tastier, stretchier cheese that customers can only find at Domino's.

'Cheese is a staple ingredient on every pizza, but it is so versatile and beloved that it can make any meal memorable,' Mr Treacy explained.

The focus on cheese doesn't stop at the Cheese Volcano.

Domino's also released Triple Cheese Bites, starting at $7 for pick-up, which are loaded with a gooey blend of Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Parmesan.

For those who simply can't get enough cheese on their pizza, there's also the option of a $2 Extra Cheese upgrade for any Large Pizza.

Domino’s has been known for its creative marketing ploys and out-of-the-box promotions. Last year, it also released a unique limited-edition item for pizza lovers.

Earlier this year, it also launched two new pizzas for a limited time only.
Key Takeaways

• Domino's Australia launched a controversial new side dish called the ‘Cheese Volcano’, priced at $10.
  • A restaurant’s spokesperson described the new item as ‘grotesque’.
  • The Cheese Volcano is made from pizza dough filled with Mozzarella cheese, and a 'molten hot' cheese centre, with an option to include crinkle-cut chips for dipping.
  • Domino's is focusing on cheese-related products, also introducing Triple Cheese Bites and offering a $2 Extra Cheese upgrade on any Large Pizza.
What's your take on the Cheese Volcano? Culinary innovation or a step too far? We'd love to hear your thoughts on this latest menu item in the comments below.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy
Sponsored
Why is it controversial? And I seriously hope the restaurants spokesperson gets the sack after calling it grotesque...seriously they need to find a new job that doesn't involve food!

Since when is Domino’s called a Restaurant ?
I love cheese , but honesty within reasonable amounts .
Never buy pizza’s , heavily overpriced, so easy to make at home in your OWN RESTAURANT!

I constantly have a few variations of Mozzarella cheese in my fridge.

Don't know what the fuss is about with Domino's "new creation". Just looks like a variation of the traditional calazone pizza.

I constantly have a few variations of Mozzarella cheese in my fridge.

Don't know what the fuss is about with Domino's "new creation". Just looks like a variation of the traditional calazone pizza.
So it took Domino's THREE years to develop a blend of cheese unique to this yawn.

It's strange that I have a 700 gram bag of Devondale's Mozzarella, Colby and Parmesan Cheese Blend sitting in my fridge right now.

Must have taken decades to develop....

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
So it took Domino's THREE years to develop a blend of cheese unique to this yawn.

It's strange that I have a 700 gram bag of Devondale's Mozzarella, Colby and Parmesan Cheese Blend sitting in my fridge right now.

Must have taken decades to develop....
The cheese blend you mention is so versatile (and yummy). 😋
I think Domino’s should look at their menu to make improvements to what they offer already, instead of having another option that clearly isn’t innovative.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Australia is becoming more and more like the USA in fast food choices as Americans seem to add cheese in great amounts to almost everything. Look at the recipes!

Reactions: Ezzy