Dog owner's appalling act leaves thousands furious

In the throes of Australia's intense summer heat, an act of negligence—or perhaps of unassuming cruelty—has ignited a firestorm against a dog owner on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.

The dog owner could be facing criminal charges after his pet was spotted tied up to a parked ute for hours in the middle of a scorching hot day.

In a photo that spread online, the German Shepherd can be seen lying on the ground behind the vehicle, partially covered by the vehicle’s shade.

SDC 4.png
A dog was allegedly left by its owner under the scorching summer heat in Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. Image source: Reddit.

A long leash was seen connected to its collar from side of the ute, while a water bowl sat in the sun. Temperatures have been soaring to 32.9 degrees in Queensland’s Sunshine Coast where the incident was spotted.

The man who took the photo had just come across the scene and shared it on social media with the caption: 'I am leaving now after two hours and the dog is still there under the sun on a very hot day.'

'He has some water but the good boy seems a bit agitated and I am not sure what to do. I am not from this area so I don’t know if this is OK.'

'I just know that I wouldn’t want to be in the dog’s situation.'

The post quickly caused outrage among users who encouraged the witness to report the 'shocking' incident and called for the owner to be prosecuted.

Others also attempted to contact local businesses to help rescue the animal, while one concerned user reported the matter to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) using the image.

'Sick of seeing things like this, it makes my blood boil,' one replied.

While another said: 'He’s going to die there.'

The man who shared the photo on social media had returned later to see how the dog was doing.

'I put my finger in his water and of course it was hot,' he said.

'I took my water bottle and put some water in it and the dog came to me and started drinking water from my hand as I was pouring more and more.

'Then the dog went again closer to the car, and only half of his body was under the shadow.

'We also moved his water under the truck so it doesn’t continue getting hot.'

According to the Sunshine Coast Council, all dogs tied up must be under 'direct supervision' and failure to do so would result in a $309 on-the-spot fine.

The regulations around tethering animals may differ from council to council, but generally, dogs cannot be left tied up and alone.

'A dog is under effective management in a public place if it is restrained to a fixed object and is under the direct supervision of a person who is physically able to manage the dog,' local laws read.

'Direct supervision means the supervising person is physically present within a proximate distance of the animal under supervision, such that the person is able to respond immediately to manage the animal's behaviour.'

A spokesperson for RSPCA Queensland reiterated that they do 'not promote tethering as a permanent means of containment, no matter what council area you live in'.

'The RSPCA would discourage tethering a dog to a vehicle in a car park for several reasons,' the spokesperson said.

'The heat of the day enhances heat felt from the ground; the heat of the ground could cause water provided to also heat up.

'If unattended, dogs are at risk of entanglement.'

'The dog could [also] become injured from another vehicle in the car park [or] a vehicle accident may result if a driver in the area is startled by a dog.

'The dog is [also] vulnerable to any person in the area who could cause the dog harm or release it, and [may be a cause of] concern for any injury the dog may cause to passersby.'

The RSPCA spokesperson urged everyone who witnesses any act of animal cruelty to report the situation to the RSPCA website 'as soon as they become aware'.

You may also contact the following hotlines to report such incidents:

Hotlines for Reporting Animal Cruelty.jpg
Key Takeaways

• A dog owner could face charges of animal cruelty after a German Shepherd was spotted tied up to a ute in scorching temperatures for several hours.
  • A witness reported the incident on social media, arousing outrage from locals who advised him to report it to authorities.
  • The Sunshine Coast Council stated that a dog must remain under 'direct supervision' when tied up, and failure to do so could immediately result in a $309 fine.
  • An RSPCA spokesperson discouraged tethering as a permanent means of containment, and urged anyone witnessing animal cruelty to report it immediately.
Members, have you witnessed something similar in your area? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I had a similar situation some years ago.
We were going into a venue for a meal and I noticed a dog locked in a car. Was on the top floor of a car park, no shade, the height of summer.
So, I went to the reception desk and asked an announcement be put over the loud speaker. Pretty much said that a dog has been locked in a vehicle ... description and where...If the owner does not return to the vehicle immediately, further action will be taken. They didn't announce that I threatened to put a rock through the window to rescue the dog. I suppose it was fortunate that a dog lover was working at reception because I had no right to ask for the announcement to be made.
The owner was a man who dropped in for a few ales and a lunch. Luckily, my outrage was appeased, because the bloke removed himself and his car straight away.
I am an animal lover and would not tolerate selfish, cruel actions against them. In the case of the dog tied to the car, the owner would have come back to an empty rope and a note (well, maybe not a note...he wouldn't deserve one). I wouldn't take the time to find local council phone numbers.
Some people have no right to own a pet. Makes my blood boil (just like the dog's would have been), when I see something like this.

I agree . No excuses for any type of cruelty. I too would have taken the dog to the Animal Welfare. . He should be banned for EVER having any animal. Poor dog.

Reactions: Jennie and Observer
How would the owner like to be tied up to a ute and bowl of water sitting in the heat of the day, what an absolute disgrace, I do hope the poor dog is ok. I hope he got fined and the dog removed from his negligence and cruelty to the poor boy

Reactions: Jennie and Observer
Look how sad and scared that poor dog looks . The dog would be better of with a caring owner . Dogs are such a pleasure to be around and usually don’t ask much in return , they are happy to see see you coming home .
I am looking forward to have my son’s dog very soon for about 8 weeks , he is a big dog Malimute cross Husky and he is not easy as he has been a rescue dog , was mistreated by his previous owner and they are never allowed to have a dog again. He came first to my son as a foster dog , they could not find a good home for him and they kept him and he gives so much pleasure.

Look how sad and scared that poor dog looks . The dog would be better of with a caring owner . Dogs are such a pleasure to be around and usually don’t ask much in return , they are happy to see see you coming home .
I am looking forward to have my son’s dog very soon for about 8 weeks , he is a big dog Malimute cross Husky and he is not easy as he has been a rescue dog , was mistreated by his previous owner and they are never allowed to have a dog again. He came first to my son as a foster dog , they could not find a good home for him and they kept him and he gives so much pleasure.
That's a nice story.
I lost my little fur baby a year ago and cannot bring myself to get another just yet.
You get attached and if you give dogs any amount of affection you will be rewarded back with theirs 10 fold. I know we were.
Sounds like your son has himself a beauty. They are a great breed ... but oh, the hair goes flying. Small cross to bear. Enjoy your 8 weeks with him.

What an absolute and complete SCUMBAG !!!
Sites like this are w-a-y too coy. Full details of the UTE including the Registration number, should be shown. If so, I'm sure there will be someone who knows the SCUMBAG who will have a few choice words to him, and hopefully, kick the SHIT out of him !

That's a nice story.
I lost my little fur baby a year ago and cannot bring myself to get another just yet.
You get attached and if you give dogs any amount of affection you will be rewarded back with theirs 10 fold. I know we were.
Sounds like your son has himself a beauty. They are a great breed ... but oh, the hair goes flying. Small cross to bear. Enjoy your 8 weeks with him.
Yes the hair is my only concern ,no carpet in the house .
What the heck , he will probably lie on the deck in the shade , he is 9 yrs and that is old for that breed . I love dogs , had a border collie who passed as well , no more dogs , as we travel a fair bit and I hate to see a dog with strangers . We do house sitting as well and most people asking us back again , so we must do a good job .

Reactions: Jennie
Lost our border collie a few months back. Had him for 10 years. Definitely a member of the family but what a free loader.
We gave him food and a place to sleep, interacted with him, and not once did he offer to pay rent or pay his way.

I was abused once for leaving my dog in the car, parked directly outside the shop window of the small speciality butcher's where I was buying dogmeat, in direct sight of the car and dog. No other shops in that area, nowhere else I could possibly be.

What idiot City Council would make it legal to leave a pet locked in a car, especially in hot weather?

This is both neglect & abuse by allowing an animal to suffer!

The City Council should be fined for having this law!!!