Dog owner lashes out after being hit with $806 fine for a little-known mistake

As we all cherish the companionship of our furry friends, it's essential to be aware of the local regulations that come with pet ownership.

A recent incident on the Sunshine Coast is a stark reminder that even the most well-intentioned dog owners can find themselves on the wrong side of the law, facing hefty fines for seemingly minor infractions.

Robyn, a fashion boutique owner at Moffat Beach, was enjoying a peaceful coffee break with her Blue Heeler, Violet, when she was unexpectedly approached by council workers.

Despite Violet being leashed and sitting quietly by Robyn's feet, the officers deemed the dog not under 'effective control' because the lead was resting on Robyn's foot rather than being held in her hand.

photo.jpg
Dog owner Robyn received a huge fine over a small mistake. Credit: @whitandwatt / Instagram

This small oversight led to a staggering $806 fine, leaving Robyn in a state of shock and frustration.

‘I've got a small business and I'm struggling with that, and the council hits you with this,' she said.

'Violet was on lead, had a collar on, she was underneath my foot.'

'Dark hats, dark sunglasses, my dog is deaf and she actually got a bit frightened by them,' she added.

Robyn insisted she was on her rented property, not in a public area, and called the council the following day to check their decision.

The shop owner was initially told she wouldn't be fined, just given a warning. However, just days later, she received a fine.

The struggling retailer called the council in tears and even reached out to her local mayor.

‘I explained to her (the council worker) that we are lucky to keep our doors open in such tough times,’ she said.

When Robyn reminded them that the council workers had previously assured her it would just be a warning, she claimed the response she received was simply, ‘Sorry about that.’

Determined not to pay the fine, the shop owner says she plans to take Violet to court with her.

‘I've been going through a lot of financial stress, so it's easy for me to break down and bawl my eyes out because I'm trying to keep my shop afloat,’ she said.

Robyn believed dog owners need ‘clear clarification’ on the rules, as ‘a lot of people’ put the lead under their foot as well.

The Queensland Government has recently intensified its enforcement of these rules, with increased penalties that can even lead to imprisonment for owners of dogs that exhibit bad behaviour.

On the Sunshine Coast Council website, the updated state-wide laws are clearly outlined.

‘The Queensland Government has updated the penalty for not effectively controlling your dog in a public place,' it said.

'An on-the-spot fine will increase to $806. This includes having a dog off-leash in an on-leash area. Or, if the dog is in an off-leash area, the owner must be able to control the dog using voice command.'

Robyn's story is a cautionary tale for all dog owners. It's not just about the fine but also about understanding and adhering to local laws to ensure the safety and well-being of our pets and the community.

The incident has rallied local support for Robyn, with many calling the fine excessive and indicative of 'dog owner bullying’.

‘Had a similar experience—the council is a brick wall for these matters but happy to charge through the roof for rates,' one said.

Another added, 'Unbelievable! Will absolutely go in and complain on behalf of you.'

You can watch the video below:

Credit: @whitandwatt / Instagram

Key Takeaways
  • A Sunshine Coast boutique owner received an $806 fine for not holding her dog's leash in her hand while sitting outside her store.
  • The council workers deemed the dog, Violet, to be not under effective control, despite her calm behaviour and being leashed.
  • The shop owner, Robyn, contended that she was within her rented premises, not a public space, and had been initially told she would only receive a warning.
  • Robyn has voiced her frustration over the lack of clear rules for dog owners regarding leash control and has gained local support against what is considered an excessive fine.
Have you ever faced a similar situation with your pet? Do you believe the laws are clear enough, or is there a need for better clarification? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored