Do you want perfect skin? An expert reveals the everyday habits that could be sabotaging your complexion

Picture this: You’re browsing through your favourite store or scrolling through Facebook, when you spot the latest ‘miracle’ skincare product that promises to give you the complexion you’ve always wanted.

So, you add it to your cart or wish list and eagerly await its arrival, hopeful that this will be the one that finally solves all your skin problems.

But then it arrives, and after using it for a few days or weeks, you realise that it’s not giving you the results you were hoping for. Sound familiar?

Well, what if we told you that the real secret to achieving your perfect skin might not be found in a new serum or cream, but in your everyday habits?

We’ve all been there – you buy what you think is the perfect skincare product, only to find that it does nothing for your skin. You might have even tried a few products that left your skin looking dull and tired or even made your skin problems worse.

So, what gives? Just what is the secret to achieving flawless skin?

Rosi Chapman, CEO and Founder of ‘Transformulas’, revealed that there could be several reasons why you aren’t achieving your ‘skincare goals’.

skincare1.JPG
Fixing your everyday habits could lead to a healthy, glowing complexion. Credit: Anna Shvets in Pexels

In a previous interview, she mentioned that a lot of skincare beginners believe that simply buying and applying the ‘right’ products will magically fix everything. Rosi notes that your environment and the routines you’ve built need to change as well.

First, she says to skip coffee in the morning. Yes, we know it’s difficult, but Rosi said that while coffee doesn’t cause blemishes, it can definitely make them worse. Caffeine heightens the stress response in the body, which also increases the oil produced by sebaceous glands. Plus, the milk in coffee can also trigger a breakout.

Rosi suggested an alternative: start your day with a fresh fruit smoothie instead. ‘It can transform your skin in a matter of days.’

Next, she advised people to avoid direct exposure to artificial heat sources. While this is easier done during summer, in winter it can be quite difficult. Rosi suggests that instead of turning on the heater or sitting by an open fireplace, people should dress warmly instead.

‘Having your heaters on through these colder seasons won’t add any benefit to your skin’s condition,’ she said. Rosi also explained that heat causes inflammation and collagen breakdown, resulting in drier, redder, and flakier skin.

Rosi also advised against touching your face. Bacteria can spread quickly through touch, and this could lead to some serious breakouts. In the same vein, avoid popping the spots on your face. Doing so could lead to permanent scarring or infection.

skincare 2.JPG
Multiple skincare brands offer products that target specific problem areas on your skin. Credit: Elena Druzhinina in Pexels

Next, she said that cleaning makeup brushes regularly will help to avoid infection and clogged pores. She also recommended washing concealer and foundation brushes at least once a week, and other makeup brushes at least twice a month.

Lastly, she recommends swapping cotton pillowcases for silk. This will help prevent wrinkles and creasing, and they can also be much more comfortable to sleep on. Rosi also advised changing pillowcases at least twice a week for hygiene purposes.
Key Takeaways

• Rosi Chapman, CEO and Founder of ‘Transformulas’, revealed the everyday habits that can be damaging to the skin.
  • She advised against drinking coffee in the morning to lessen the oil produced by sebaceous glands.
  • She said to avoid direct heat exposure to prevent dry and flaky skin.
  • She suggested people should switch to silk pillowcases instead because the material is gentler on the skin.
  • Rosi reminded people to avoid touching their faces – especially when they haven’t washed their hands yet.
  • Lastly, she said to clean makeup brushes regularly to avoid the build-up of bacteria.
There you go, folks! Are you keen on trying out Rosi’s tips for better-looking skin? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
Well, something must be working! Nobody believes my age and the main face moisturizer for me is good old Sorbolene.
I use a heated rug in very cold weather and am never near a heater. I also keep myself out of the sun during the ‘danger’ hours. I drink plenty of water, coffee is a cafe treat for me, not an everyday beverage. I do use a silk pillowcase . So that is good advice you have given. It works.

Picture this: You’re browsing through your favourite store or scrolling through Facebook, when you spot the latest ‘miracle’ skincare product that promises to give you the complexion you’ve always wanted.

So, you add it to your cart or wish list and eagerly await its arrival, hopeful that this will be the one that finally solves all your skin problems.

But then it arrives, and after using it for a few days or weeks, you realise that it’s not giving you the results you were hoping for. Sound familiar?

Well, what if we told you that the real secret to achieving your perfect skin might not be found in a new serum or cream, but in your everyday habits?

We’ve all been there – you buy what you think is the perfect skincare product, only to find that it does nothing for your skin. You might have even tried a few products that left your skin looking dull and tired or even made your skin problems worse.

So, what gives? Just what is the secret to achieving flawless skin?

Rosi Chapman, CEO and Founder of ‘Transformulas’, revealed that there could be several reasons why you aren’t achieving your ‘skincare goals’.

View attachment 7776
Fixing your everyday habits could lead to a healthy, glowing complexion. Credit: Anna Shvets in Pexels

In a previous interview, she mentioned that a lot of skincare beginners believe that simply buying and applying the ‘right’ products will magically fix everything. Rosi notes that your environment and the routines you’ve built need to change as well.

First, she says to skip coffee in the morning. Yes, we know it’s difficult, but Rosi said that while coffee doesn’t cause blemishes, it can definitely make them worse. Caffeine heightens the stress response in the body, which also increases the oil produced by sebaceous glands. Plus, the milk in coffee can also trigger a breakout.

Rosi suggested an alternative: start your day with a fresh fruit smoothie instead. ‘It can transform your skin in a matter of days.’

Next, she advised people to avoid direct exposure to artificial heat sources. While this is easier done during summer, in winter it can be quite difficult. Rosi suggests that instead of turning on the heater or sitting by an open fireplace, people should dress warmly instead.

‘Having your heaters on through these colder seasons won’t add any benefit to your skin’s condition,’ she said. Rosi also explained that heat causes inflammation and collagen breakdown, resulting in drier, redder, and flakier skin.

Rosi also advised against touching your face. Bacteria can spread quickly through touch, and this could lead to some serious breakouts. In the same vein, avoid popping the spots on your face. Doing so could lead to permanent scarring or infection.

View attachment 7775
Multiple skincare brands offer products that target specific problem areas on your skin. Credit: Elena Druzhinina in Pexels

Next, she said that cleaning makeup brushes regularly will help to avoid infection and clogged pores. She also recommended washing concealer and foundation brushes at least once a week, and other makeup brushes at least twice a month.

Lastly, she recommends swapping cotton pillowcases for silk. This will help prevent wrinkles and creasing, and they can also be much more comfortable to sleep on. Rosi also advised changing pillowcases at least twice a week for hygiene purposes.
Key Takeaways

• Rosi Chapman, CEO and Founder of ‘Transformulas’, revealed the everyday habits that can be damaging to the skin.
  • She advised against drinking coffee in the morning to lessen the oil produced by sebaceous glands.
  • She said to avoid direct heat exposure to prevent dry and flaky skin.
  • She suggested people should switch to silk pillowcases instead because the material is gentler on the skin.
  • Rosi reminded people to avoid touching their faces – especially when they haven’t washed their hands yet.
  • Lastly, she said to clean makeup brushes regularly to avoid the build-up of bacteria.
There you go, folks! Are you keen on trying out Rosi’s tips for better-looking skin? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
Just plain common sense to me. I get compliments on my skin and at 79 that's lovely to receive, especially as I have always worn light make-up most days and having worked on TV and stage, often it had to be very thick. My secret is - no matter how tired you are, always cleanse your skin thoroughly before going to bed and use sunscreen every day - even in winter, along with a good eye, night and day cream. Women who say they never wear anything soon show the signs as they start to age. PS I never drink coffee nor smoked.

Reactions: Ally Castillo
I do use a fabulous skincare range, Rodan and Fields, their anti aging products are amazing and my skin glows with health. I get compliments all the time about my skin and I’m 67 and a sun lover