Do you remember this ICONIC school supply from the 1970s? Social media reminisce yesteryear

Ah, the 70s! It was a time filled with joy and laughter, with Gobstoppers and Conversation lollies, All Day suckers, and Fruit Tingles!

Many of us would look forward to the Curiosity Show every Friday afternoon and wake up early on a Saturday morning to watch The Thunderbirds.

We’d also get a little whiff of the classic scents of Cologne No. 4711 and Tabac. They bring up such childhood feelings of joy and glee that we look to relive daily.

But out of all the iconic items that many Aussies remember so fondly, there's one that especially sticks with us - and not just metaphorically.

We’re of course talking about the wonderful Perkin’s Paste!

120931969_1828171267336192_6581225997347873405_n.jpg
One of the most iconic school supplies in Australia is Perkin’s Paste. Credit: Facebook/Old Shops Australia.

It was an essential school supply that many 70s schoolkids used to glue all their artwork, notes, and homework together.

This famous glue became so popular in classrooms that it earned itself the title of being ‘Australia’s favourite paste’.

The smell of the paste has also become etched into our memories. There are many who can still remember it, sitting at their desks as the teacher gave directions on how it was to be used!

Unfortunately, Perkin’s Paste was discontinued in the mid-80s, so it’s no surprise that news of the old-school paste sent a wave of nostalgia amongst people who grew up with it.

Social media reactions to the paste have been overwhelming after one user shared a photo of the school supply.

Sharing on the Old Shops Australia Facebook group, the user wrote: ‘That smell brings back memories. Best Glue ever!’

EbGpszvUwAAiKls.jpg
Many people claimed that the paste brings back so many memories from their school days. Credit: Reddit.

The post captured the attention of more than 9,000 users, who shared their memories with the then-popular paste.

One person wrote: 'We started glue sniffing in the 70s but didn’t realise it.’

‘The must-have school essential!’ another raved.

A third chimed in: ‘Loved the smell. Getting ready to do a project. Great anticipation to start!‘

Many others pointed out how some people use the glue in a different way…

One user asked: ‘But seriously who didn’t taste it?’

‘Used to love eating it!’ another replied.

‘Good thing this stuff was non-toxic. I knew heaps of kids that used to eat it!’ a third added.

Another recalled: ‘I went to Regents Park Primary school and sat next to a guy named Wayne Perkins and he used to eat it as it was his last name.’

Others shared how they played with the glue back when they were attending school, with one person writing: ‘I would paint the palm of my hand with the brush it came with and then waited till it dried and peeled it off like skin.’

And while many said that it ‘tasted good’, with others claiming that it ‘tasted like lemonade’, some were not impressed…

One comment read: ‘I ate some and it tasted awful.’

Meanwhile, others joked about how tasting the iconic paste was actually part of ‘Aussie tradition’.

One user joked: ‘It was part of our diet and was non-toxic.’

‘Eating small amounts of Perkin's Paste was a "rite of passage" in most Australian Primary Schools during the 1970s,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways
  • Perkin’s Paste was an essential school supply widely used in the 70s in Australia, earning itself the title of 'Australia's favourite paste'.
  • News of the old-school paste sent a wave of nostalgia amongst people who grew up with it, prompting a strong reaction on social media.
  • Some people fondly recalled the taste of Perkin's Paste, with some claiming it 'tasted good' or 'like lemonade'.
  • Others shared how they used to play with Perkin's Paste, such as painting their hands with the brush provided and peeling it off like skin when it dries out.

These days, the younger generation doesn’t seem to have to worry about eating the glue - instead, they can just focus on the fascinating learning that comes with attending school in the 21st century.

Nevertheless, the memories of the ’70s are sure to stay with us forever - especially those of the beloved Perkin’s Paste!

Have you used Perkin’s Paste during your school years? Better yet, what were your favourite memories of the 1970s? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Ah, the 70s! It was a time filled with joy and laughter, with Gobstoppers and Conversation lollies, All Day suckers, and Fruit Tingles!

Many of us would look forward to the Curiosity Show every Friday afternoon and wake up early on a Saturday morning to watch The Thunderbirds.

We’d also get a little whiff of the classic scents of Cologne No. 4711 and Tabac. They bring up such childhood feelings of joy and glee that we look to relive daily.

But out of all the iconic items that many Aussies remember so fondly, there's one that especially sticks with us - and not just metaphorically.

View attachment 14146
One of the most iconic school supplies in Australia is Perkin’s Paste. Credit: Facebook/Old Shops Australia.

It was an essential school supply that many 70s schoolkids used to glue all their artwork, notes, and homework together.

This famous glue became so popular in classrooms that it earned itself the title of being ‘Australia’s favourite paste’.

The smell of the paste has also become etched into our memories. There are many who can still remember it, sitting at their desks as the teacher gave directions on how it was to be used!

Unfortunately, Perkin’s Paste was discontinued in the mid-80s, so it’s no surprise that news of the old-school paste sent a wave of nostalgia amongst people who grew up with it.

Social media reactions to the paste have been overwhelming after one user shared a photo of the school supply.

Sharing on the Old Shops Australia Facebook group, the user wrote: ‘That smell brings back memories. Best Glue ever!’

View attachment 14147
Many people claimed that the paste brings back so many memories from their school days. Credit: Reddit.

The post captured the attention of more than 9,000 users, who shared their memories with the then-popular paste.

A third chimed in: ‘Loved the smell. Getting ready to do a project. Great anticipation to start!‘

‘Good thing this stuff was non-toxic. I knew heaps of kids that used to eat it!’ a third added.

Another recalled: ‘I went to Regents Park Primary school and sat next to a guy named Wayne Perkins and he used to eat it as it was his last name.’

Others shared how they played with the glue back when they were attending school, with one person writing: ‘I would paint the palm of my hand with the brush it came with and then waited till it dried and peeled it off like skin.’

And while many said that it ‘tasted good’, with others claiming that it ‘tasted like lemonade’, some were not impressed…

Meanwhile, others joked about how tasting the iconic paste was actually part of ‘Aussie tradition’.

‘Eating small amounts of Perkin's Paste was a "rite of passage" in most Australian Primary Schools during the 1970s,’ another claimed.

Key Takeaways

• Perkin’s Paste was an essential school supply widely used in the 70s in Australia, earning itself the title of 'Australia's favourite paste'.
  • News of the old-school paste sent a wave of nostalgia amongst people who grew up with it, prompting a strong reaction on social media.
  • Some people fondly recalled the taste of Perkin's Paste, with some claiming it 'tasted good' or 'like lemonade'.
  • Others shared how they used to play with Perkin's Paste, such as painting their hands with the brush provided and peeling it off like skin when it dries out.

These days, the younger generation doesn’t seem to have to worry about eating the glue - instead, they can just focus on the fascinating learning that comes with attending school in the 21st century.

Nevertheless, the memories of the ’70s are sure to stay with us forever - especially those of the beloved Perkin’s Paste!

Have you used Perkin’s Paste during your school years? Better yet, what were your favourite memories of the 1970s? Let us know in the comments below!
Western Australia had. Clag Paste.

View attachment 14146

View attachment 14147

Key Takeaways

Not just the 1970s, I remember it at school in the 50s and 60s, and yes, I tasted it too, but didn't like it.

Remember having it in the late 60's too. Never ate it but putting it on my fingers was fun, plus using clag paste on the hand, their brush was better. Now trying to remember the clear glue in a bottle that had a rubber tip. That one leaked if not stored right.

Not just the 1970s, I remember it at school in the 50s and 60s, and yes, I tasted it too, but didn't like it.
Perkins Paste was owned and started by Maurice Bertram Jeffery, a commercial artist who found himself unemployed during the Great Depression. Production began in 1934 at Albion Street, Surry Hills, New South Wales and ceased during the 1980s. It became a cultural icon, akin to Vegemite or the Tim Tam biscuit. Many users of the product recall eating Perkins Paste during their primary school years.[1] Never knew it was that old.

View attachment 14146

View attachment 14147

Key Takeaways

It wasn’t as messy as Clag glue! I don’t remember eating it because I was in high school by then but definitely glued and peeled my hand.😂

Omg my memory of young Perkins paste was the many many orojusts and glueing pictures and every week needing to glue in the homework sheets.

Never ate it or sniffed it but the boy who sat next to me did I remember his name was Malcom.

Oh and the dry glue on my fingers which was hard to get off.

You were either a perkins paste user or a clag glue user primary for me it was Perkins paste and high school Clag

View attachment 14146

View attachment 14147

Key Takeaways

We didn't have Perkins in Tasmania - we used Clag! Similar stories around that one!

View attachment 14146

View attachment 14147

Key Takeaways

Used it everyday, yep and had a taste! yuck! loved the smell though!

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Remember having it in the late 60's too. Never ate it but putting it on my fingers was fun, plus using clag paste on the hand, their brush was better. Now trying to remember the clear glue in a bottle that had a rubber tip. That one leaked if not stored right.
Yes, it looked similar to this but i think it was clear.

Attachments

• golden gum.jpg
    golden gum.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0