Do you know this one trick to get FREE flower bouquets at the supermarket? It’s so easy!

Who doesn't love receiving a flower bouquet? I know I certainly do! Not only are they a beautiful way to show someone you care, but they can also be used to brighten up your home.

Whether you display them in a vase or use them to decorate your tables and shelves, flowers are a great way to add a touch of nature to your décor.

For our members who are fans of floral decorations (we're sure there are a lot of you *wink wink*), did you know that getting your hands on a lovely bouquet doesn't require you to wait for gifts from loved ones or spend lots of money?

In a recent post in a popular Facebook group, a savvy shopper shared her little-known trick to score free bouquets from the supermarket.

QdOMlFjZXA4thy1sMT_fKftlfyq9DoxFBzsBr04UtSyubRdMD3t199D2eChsLtXBbfd3ncEqfyaeacEjfYluXcTAatVnx27XKSoEas8vYvhrMJAsIdirE9z1QOHc1HwmZxaaQe6coXN0t0PVdJ49ww

A savvy shopper shared her simple trick to score free bouquets from Coles. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

The Melbourne mum claimed that all she had to do was ask the manager at her neighbourhood Coles in Ferntree Gully for permission to take four flower bunches that were out of date; some of which were worth $25 if purchased at full price.

She also added that the staff member gave her the bouquets without charge, provided that she wouldn't object if the flowers perished a few days later.

'I know not every Coles does this but it's nice that they do and don't throw them out! They would let me have them free only if I agreed not to come back and complain if they die as they’re past date,' the mum wrote in the post.

However, the customer said that there are some caveats that we need to remember when doing this – a certain amount of luck plays a role and that not all retail employees and owners will agree.

She continued: 'As if I would go back, and complain about getting FREE flowers but this has happened to them before. I don't know what some people think.'

The post received hundreds of 'likes' and dozens of comments from frugal people who shared how they nabbed free and inexpensive flowers for themselves.

One user shared: 'A month or so ago I got fifty dollars worth of flowers for ten dollars they had wilted but all that was needed was a drink of water. it was my lucky day.'

'Always picking up flowers for 10c a bunch. Nice way to brighten up our day - I just pick out the “bad' ones”, another suggested.

irsUfqX9qgDk3gJ4Qh_xSpuggr4JIB1_fXqoQd7eOG0kMRokV_aN068harNI5jlmcTchKKxV9rEXq5NMi5D5VZ1WeA3mdNwbCN2QD85gIKYCbF8pkncd9_EvQMugqXCO2syRCh-I2rZoRWXh33z_Uw

The shopper said that the staff member allowed her to bring home the flowers for free as long as she does not complain that they wilt a few days after. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Some took the opportunity to suggest ways to prolong the lifespan of the bouquet upon purchase, with one person writing: 'Put some sugar in the water and they will last a few days.'

Others advised giving the free flowers to a hospital or retirement community.

One comment read: 'So beautiful! Lucky that they let you take them! But if they are throwing these out I wish they would donate them to nursing homes/ hospitals to lift people’s spirits.'

'Trouble is they never know how much is going to expire and when. They have heaps more left, maybe I'll go back tomorrow, grab them and take them to a hospital,' the original poster replied.

The post also captured the attention of one Coles worker who claimed that the store they work at donates the expired flowers to local nursing homes.

'My store donates them to a local nursing home. They separate all the bunches and the residents can arrange their own bunch to take back to their room to keep,' the employee said.

'So if your store isn't selling them cheap to you it doesn't necessarily mean they are going in the bin.'

There's no denying that we're especially thrilled when we can get something for free. Whether it's a free sample at the grocery store or a freebie from a friend, we simply can't resist. We love getting something for nothing.

If you want more tips similar to this, make sure you tune into the SDC website's Money Saving Hacks section! Having said that, we want to hear from you! Do you know other tips for scoring free or even discounted flowers? Better yet, have you tried this trick before? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Who doesn't love receiving a flower bouquet? I know I certainly do! Not only are they a beautiful way to show someone you care, but they can also be used to brighten up your home.

Whether you display them in a vase or use them to decorate your tables and shelves, flowers are a great way to add a touch of nature to your décor.

For our members who are fans of floral decorations (we're sure there are a lot of you *wink wink*), did you know that getting your hands on a lovely bouquet doesn't require you to wait for gifts from loved ones or spend lots of money?

In a recent post in a popular Facebook group, a savvy shopper shared her little-known trick to score free bouquets from the supermarket.

QdOMlFjZXA4thy1sMT_fKftlfyq9DoxFBzsBr04UtSyubRdMD3t199D2eChsLtXBbfd3ncEqfyaeacEjfYluXcTAatVnx27XKSoEas8vYvhrMJAsIdirE9z1QOHc1HwmZxaaQe6coXN0t0PVdJ49ww

A savvy shopper shared her simple trick to score free bouquets from Coles. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

The Melbourne mum claimed that all she had to do was ask the manager at her neighbourhood Coles in Ferntree Gully for permission to take four flower bunches that were out of date; some of which were worth $25 if purchased at full price.

She also added that the staff member gave her the bouquets without charge, provided that she wouldn't object if the flowers perished a few days later.

'I know not every Coles does this but it's nice that they do and don't throw them out! They would let me have them free only if I agreed not to come back and complain if they die as they’re past date,' the mum wrote in the post.

However, the customer said that there are some caveats that we need to remember when doing this – a certain amount of luck plays a role and that not all retail employees and owners will agree.

She continued: 'As if I would go back, and complain about getting FREE flowers but this has happened to them before. I don't know what some people think.'

The post received hundreds of 'likes' and dozens of comments from frugal people who shared how they nabbed free and inexpensive flowers for themselves.

One user shared: 'A month or so ago I got fifty dollars worth of flowers for ten dollars they had wilted but all that was needed was a drink of water. it was my lucky day.'

'Always picking up flowers for 10c a bunch. Nice way to brighten up our day - I just pick out the “bad' ones”, another suggested.

irsUfqX9qgDk3gJ4Qh_xSpuggr4JIB1_fXqoQd7eOG0kMRokV_aN068harNI5jlmcTchKKxV9rEXq5NMi5D5VZ1WeA3mdNwbCN2QD85gIKYCbF8pkncd9_EvQMugqXCO2syRCh-I2rZoRWXh33z_Uw

The shopper said that the staff member allowed her to bring home the flowers for free as long as she does not complain that they wilt a few days after. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Some took the opportunity to suggest ways to prolong the lifespan of the bouquet upon purchase, with one person writing: 'Put some sugar in the water and they will last a few days.'

Others advised giving the free flowers to a hospital or retirement community.

One comment read: 'So beautiful! Lucky that they let you take them! But if they are throwing these out I wish they would donate them to nursing homes/ hospitals to lift people’s spirits.'

'Trouble is they never know how much is going to expire and when. They have heaps more left, maybe I'll go back tomorrow, grab them and take them to a hospital,' the original poster replied.

The post also captured the attention of one Coles worker who claimed that the store they work at donates the expired flowers to local nursing homes.

'My store donates them to a local nursing home. They separate all the bunches and the residents can arrange their own bunch to take back to their room to keep,' the employee said.

'So if your store isn't selling them cheap to you it doesn't necessarily mean they are going in the bin.'

There's no denying that we're especially thrilled when we can get something for free. Whether it's a free sample at the grocery store or a freebie from a friend, we simply can't resist. We love getting something for nothing.

If you want more tips similar to this, make sure you tune into the SDC website's Money Saving Hacks section! Having said that, we want to hear from you! Do you know other tips for scoring free or even discounted flowers? Better yet, have you tried this trick before? Share your experience with us in the comments below!
I was after some yellow roses. On that day I could only found them in the Coles in West Ryde, Sydney but the flowers were a day past the best before. I asked to either or have them for free. The staff refused and dumped them instead.

I was after some yellow roses. On that day I could only found them in the Coles in West Ryde, Sydney but the flowers were a day past the best before. I asked to either or have them for free. The staff refused and dumped them instead.
What a waste and how rude!

Reactions: Bat and TheBear
Almost at closing time, Woolies in Claremont, Tas were offering free flower bunches to known customers. Heartwarming gesture. One of the most helpful supermarkets I've encountered here in AU.

Somewhere I read that one shouldn't smell the flowers, as they are usually sprayed with toxic insecticides. Moreover, most of them are grown in China. Does anyone know, whether this is true.

Almost at closing time, Woolies in Claremont, Tas were offering free flower bunches to known customers. Heartwarming gesture. One of the most helpful supermarkets I've encountered here in AU.

Somewhere I read that one shouldn't smell the flowers, as they are usually sprayed with toxic insecticides. Moreover, most of them are grown in China. Does anyone know, whether this is true.
wouldn't surprise me

Coles at Kurri NSW mark them down or dump them it depends on who you ask to what you get