During my "younger" years I was not permitted into my dads "shed" or mow lawns as that was a boys only zone. Now I have inherited all his tools and joined a woodwork club. Terrific fun. I live on 42 acres, have a ride on as well as push mower and wipper snipper. Help split and stack tons of wood as that is our only heating. I am also a part time carer for my darling Mother as well as a Plan Nominee dealing with NDIS issues for a gentleman with a degenerative condition.
In my spare time I garden, weave natural fibres, sew, knit, do yoga and cook. I don't know how I had time to go to "paid" work. Plus I have 7 wonderful grandchildren to run after.

After taking up decorative painting in my 50's, I spent years doing it until my eyes and hands objected. From there I started making greeting cards and other papercraft items, including mini albums. My lounge is officially my studio and it is full of cutting dies, stamps, embossing folders, art tables and storage furniture. I am hoping to teach in the future.
Like you, Casperdcat, I was doing another hobby - jewellery making - but arthritis in my hands put a stop to that. Now I also make greeting cards and junk journals, and love doing . There's so much variety in what you can use and achieve from just the simplest 'ingredients'.

I started drawing and painting. Surprisingly to me people reacted positively and I have sold several, even the first one I entered in an art show. My wife had several framed and hung at home. A friend saw one and commented "I didn't know you were into photography ". It is very enjoyable, and I draw a lot of friends dogs, mainly as gifts.

That brings a tear to my eye Gayle. I didn't think I had a creative bone in my body, but my mother did. She passed 35 years ago now, but every time I achieve anything crafty, she always comes to mind. We are blessed to have that legacy. Your mum would definitely be proud of you.
I’m the same with my Mum, especially when I sit at her machine. Sometimes when I’m not sure what I’m doing I usually say “Come on Mum I’m needing your help here “. It may seem silly but that’s what keeps me going.

I always said “Hell would freeze over before I would take up lawn bowls”
Well lo and behold, I was asked to “just come and fill in for us on Thursday”…that was three years ago, in my first year of bowls, with another bowler ( who had never played before), we became club championship pairs, defeating the clubs champions for the previous five years. In my second year I was runner up in the clubs champion bowler..
Not too shabby for someone who knew nothing!!
Dare I say I enjoy my bowls, and strive to become Club Champion 2025!!!
I went with my husband to learn lawn bowls and it is not easy unfortunately before we could take it up properly he was diagnosed with two forms of cancer and passed away I now can't drive past the bowling club without thinking of him and how he had been anti lawn bowls but loved it when I pushed him along.

I started drawing and painting. Surprisingly to me people reacted positively and I have sold several, even the first one I entered in an art show. My wife had several framed and hung at home. A friend saw one and commented "I didn't know you were into photography ". It is very enjoyable, and I draw a lot of friends dogs, mainly as gifts.
Oh wow that's great, l get the same reaction when people see my sketches 😄

Reactions: Littleboy8
Since retiring and having a couple of life setbacks I started making Victorian sewing boxes. I made to custom order for family and friends but as interest rates have bitten deeply I no longer have the funds spare, which is such a pity because I did enjoy the final results. The picture is a small sample of what I have made.

Attachments

• Inside of sewing box.jpeg
    Inside of sewing box.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • completed box.jpeg
    completed box.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
My Mum passed away 9th July 2014 , 5 months after my sister. Mum willed me her Janome sewing machine as I was the only girl left. I hated to sew on buttons,hems anything of a crafty nature . My Mum‘s machine sat in a room for 18 months when I finally decided I should show Mum’s gift more respect. I went and learnt patchwork quilting. I loved it even though I wasn’t that good at it but I was using Mum’s gift. Well that led me to knitting,crocheting, making clothes, long stitch,diamond dots….well just about anything 🤣I now have my own craft room with too much yarn,fabric,cotton etc etc but it gets me thru my down days. I would like to think Mum would be proud of me.
You can never have too much crafting supplies! My daughter and I always say when we come back in the next life we will own a Spotlight store!

A hobby I took up later in life was polishing up cow horns and treating them to make them drinking cups. Starts with hours of scraping them back until all the outer surface is off then sanding them back until all the natural grain is showing and smooth then using a wax to polish it up. Threating the inside is time consuming with several days of bleaching and washing and sealing them then engraving the outer with a medi evil design . Then another final polish. I sold these at the medi evil festival in Caboolture held in July. I loved doing these. The final result is different for everyone of them .
Wow 😮 that’s awesome👏 😍