Do you do this too? An ALDI worker reveals the customer habit that leaves them shocked!

It seems like a harmless habit, however, no one likes the feeling of being ripped off, especially at the supermarket. And it’s exactly this feeling that many grocery store employees feel when they see customers eating produce, such as grapes or giving yoghurt pouches to children before paying for them.

An ALDI worker recently took to Reddit’s ‘Retail Hell’ thread to discuss this behaviour and to find out how regular customers and fellow employees feel about it.

1681956833642.png
Do you think it is okay to pick and eat produce here and there at the supermarket? Image source: Shutterstock.

'I work at ALDI. Obviously not a type of situation where you pay for food after you've eaten like a restaurant etc. I am interested to hear what others think about people consuming grocery store food before they have bought it? And if you do it yourself, what is your justification?' they asked.

The employee went on to explain that it 'astounds' them how many people open food and begin to eat it before paying.

'The worst two habits for me are people eating grapes, which are priced by weight, or giving their children items such as yoghurt pouches to eat to “keep them quiet” and then handing them over to be scanned all 'slimy' and 'slobbery',' they wrote.

This message struck a chord with other employees from a range of different supermarkets, who shared their own experiences of witnessing similar behaviour.

'I work at ALDI too and stealing grapes, I don’t really care about. It’s the people that steal and eat cherries that gets me,' they said.

'That produce is FILTHY and they are stupid for eating it without washing it first,' another added.

Humorously, one worker sent a warning out to 'people who graze the produce aisle like they’re a goat', while another joked: 'If they clean up after themselves, I don’t care if they eat a whole rotisserie chicken in front of me.'

Meanwhile, on the other side of the debate, some shoppers explained a few valid reasons for tasting or eating produce before paying.

'I always taste a grape,' one said. 'They are expensive and I don't want to buy grapes that don't taste good. But again, this is only one grape.'

Another customer said, ‘I will snatch a grape because I've bought a whole bag that, only when I got home did I realise every one of them was very very bitter. So, I just make sure I'm not buying sh**** grapes.’

At the end of the day, regardless of your opinion on the matter, we are all responsible for our own behaviour and etiquette when shopping at the supermarket! I think we can all agree there are certain behaviours that are acceptable, but there are some that cross the line…

So, members, what’s your take on acceptable behaviours in the supermarket? At what point do you think tasting produce at the supermarket is crossing the line? Or, do you think considering the cost of living you should be able to take something here and there? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
It seems like a harmless habit, however, no one likes the feeling of being ripped off, especially at the supermarket. And it’s exactly this feeling that many grocery store employees feel when they see customers eating produce, such as grapes or giving yoghurt pouches to children before paying for them.

An ALDI worker recently took to Reddit’s ‘Retail Hell’ thread to discuss this behaviour and to find out how regular customers and fellow employees feel about it.

View attachment 17818
Do you think it is okay to pick and eat produce here and there at the supermarket? Image source: Shutterstock.

'I work at ALDI. Obviously not a type of situation where you pay for food after you've eaten like a restaurant etc. I am interested to hear what others think about people consuming grocery store food before they have bought it? And if you do it yourself, what is your justification?' they asked.

The employee went on to explain that it 'astounds' them how many people open food and begin to eat it before paying.

'The worst two habits for me are people eating grapes, which are priced by weight, or giving their children items such as yoghurt pouches to eat to “keep them quiet” and then handing them over to be scanned all 'slimy' and 'slobbery',' they wrote.

This message struck a chord with other employees from a range of different supermarkets, who shared their own experiences of witnessing similar behaviour.

'I work at ALDI too and stealing grapes, I don’t really care about. It’s the people that steal and eat cherries that gets me,' they said.

'That produce is FILTHY and they are stupid for eating it without washing it first,' another added.

Humorously, one worker sent a warning out to 'people who graze the produce aisle like they’re a goat', while another joked: 'If they clean up after themselves, I don’t care if they eat a whole rotisserie chicken in front of me.'

Meanwhile, on the other side of the debate, some shoppers explained a few valid reasons for tasting or eating produce before paying.

'I always taste a grape,' one said. 'They are expensive and I don't want to buy grapes that don't taste good. But again, this is only one grape.'

Another customer said, ‘I will snatch a grape because I've bought a whole bag that, only when I got home did I realise every one of them was very very bitter. So, I just make sure I'm not buying sh**** grapes.’

At the end of the day, regardless of your opinion on the matter, we are all responsible for our own behaviour and etiquette when shopping at the supermarket! I think we can all agree there are certain behaviours that are acceptable, but there are some that cross the line…

So, members, what’s your take on acceptable behaviours in the supermarket? At what point do you think tasting produce at the supermarket is crossing the line? Or, do you think considering the cost of living you should be able to take something here and there? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
I always try one grape to make sure they are sweet, I try nothing else.

I don't taste food I feel it.

As for mums letting their chikd eat a yoghurt pouch my daughter sometimes does this but she always buys more than one so she will tell the checkout person to swipe an extra one. Never has she purchased just one and would never think about getting them to scan a used one.

Above is completely different from stealing

What I class as stealing is when you see someone grab a handful of nuts , that is my pet hate

No. Unequivocally. If a supplier decides to have bowls out with a sign saying tasting plate, that’s different.

I’m fairly certain that those who do this would be very angry if they paid full price for something, only to discover another person had ‘sampled’ his or her food prior to him or her purchasing it and paying full price for it.

That’s where you miss the greengrocer they were only too happy to have a cut apple, a peeled orange or mandarins or anything else for tasting before you bought although it wasn’t needed as the fruit and veg was always fresh not having sat in cold storage for who knows how long.

Not something I’ve ever done, maybe working in a supermarket many years ago has made me aware of others doing this. Mind you I did have to open a packet of band aids the other week when I sliced my finger whilst shopping and it wouldn’t stop bleeding I actually felt so guilty lol. I made sure they were the first thing I gave the checkout operator with an explanation of why I had used a couple.

C

View attachment 17818

ant stand people doing that and when the kids were little they had to wait until we left the store

View attachment 17818

I have witnessed this and find it disgusting.

View attachment 17818

Absolutely disgusting habit. I saw a bag of grapes half eaten. I have seen children take fruit with a parent nearby who said nothing. Do they realise that they are stealing? It seems not!
I am always vocal when someone near me starts tasting fruit. I don't care if they get offended.

I dont like it. Checking grapes, perhaps. But I find giving kids yoghurts to eat annoying. It teaches the child that they are allowed to do this and if they cant wait till they get in the car, or home, then snacks should be brought from home to satisfy their desperate need for food. It is an instant gratification society. We need to teach how to be patient...

View attachment 17818

Definitely should try grapes...wipe it first tho!

most places have a try before you buy the supermarkets you can take it back and aske for a refund if you dont think they are nice so may be it is better to try before you buy in some cases but not half one is enough I think

View attachment 17818

Apparently higher prices at the checkout can be attributed to theft?? But I'm guessing if no one were to thieve from supermarkets they would continue to thieve from their customers (& prices would not suddenly fall because no one was stealing!)
Having said that i dont steal - its a bit hard when you get home delivery lol although i did try to get s refund on a bag of "missing" groceries this week (& after the refund was processed i found them damn it & went to the trouble (ever tried chatting to chat to a chat bot-ggrrf?), but my honesty was appreciated & i was thanked for letting them know!

View attachment 17818

I understand that if every customer takes a grape, the store could be down an entire kg or more at the end of a day. But, by the customer taste testing a grape their sales could go up. If you try it and it is good, you buy it. Increase in sales. As for giving the child a yoghurt pouch, I see no harm in this practice if the customer is paying for it at the end. I have many times taken a juice, a bottle of water or soft drink and drank it while shopping as I was feeling dehydrated. However, I always pay for it at the end. That is not stealing.

• Wow
Reactions: Reaper123

View attachment 17818

So, members, what’s your take on acceptable behaviours in the supermarket? At what point do you think tasting produce at the supermarket is fore you consume. crossing the line? Or, do you think considering the cost of living you should be able to take something here and there? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Pay before you consume or it equals theft, no matter have small you believe it is.

View attachment 17818

With the crap service at Aldi I recon its any thing goes, I am sick and tired of going to the store to find advertised specials are not available on the opening day, would it be too much to place a sign up letting customers know.
I had an experience a Greensborough Vic where ALL the check outs were closed, When I yelled out at top of my voice that every one should walk out without paying you should have seen the pricks crawling out of the woodwork. There check out policy of not opening another checkout if there is less than 8 people at the only one open really gets up my clacker. Pack them up and send them back to Germany or where ever they came from.

• Wow
Reactions: TheBear and debjane
Apparently higher prices at the checkout can be attributed to theft?? But I'm guessing if no one were to thieve from supermarkets they would continue to thieve from their customers (& prices would not suddenly fall because no one was stealing!)
Having said that i dont steal - its a bit hard when you get home delivery lol although i did try to get s refund on a bag of "missing" groceries this week (& after the refund was processed i found them damn it & went to the trouble (ever tried chatting to chat to a chat bot-ggrrf?), but my honesty was appreciated & i was thanked for letting them know!
That's the sort of thing that I do. Not many of us left🤔