Do you do any of these things at the checkout? A Coles cashier shares the most frustrating customer habits

We all know how frustrating it can be to wait in a long queue, whether we're at the bank or at the supermarket. And as much as we might like to believe that everyone is patient and understanding when they're standing in line, that's unfortunately not always the case.

Some people just can't seem to help but do things that drive those around them up the wall – especially cashiers and other customer service employees who have to deal with them daily.

A Coles cashier recently took to TikTok to reveal some of the most frustrating things customers do and say when they're at her checkout, and let's just say, we can definitely see where she's coming from (mostly)!

Sharing her views on TikTok, the cashier listed off her pet peeves, which included asking her to smile more, inserting their cards into EFTPOS machines instead of contactless paywave and using coupons for items that are not on sale.

486eb48895b73ba9295bfd56607e2ad5fc5b95ca-161x229-x0y88w814h1158.png

The Coles employee aired her grievances on TikTok, revealing some of the things that customers should not be doing. Credit: TikTok.

The TikTok user also added the hashtag #cashierproblems and #cashierlife in the caption of her video, urging customers not to do the things she mentioned.

So, without further ado, here are some of the things that checkout employees hate the most:

1. Placing heavy items on the conveyor belt

Heavy items should never be placed on the conveyor belt because it’s a hassle for check-out workers and can even be dangerous. Not only do they have to reach over the item to scan it, but they also have to lift it up to place it in a bag. If you are buying a lot of heavy items, it is best to leave them in your trolley so that the cashier can easily scan them from there.

2. Inserting their card into the EFTPOS machine

Some customers, instead of tapping their cards when checking out their items, insert their cards into the EFTPOS machine. They then have to wait for the machine to read them and process them, as well as enter their pin.

This makes the whole process longer.

3. Asking them to smile more

Some customers, besides asking the staff to give them a discount, also like to request some ‘emotional labour’.

Apparently, some shoppers want the staff to be ‘happy’, so when checking them out, they ask them to ‘smile more’. I’m sure any ladies reading this right now know exactly how it feels to be on the receiving end of that.

Other habits that were mentioned include:
  • Overpackaging your bags with your purchases
  • Going through a checkout that says ‘closed’
  • Not removing your card from the EFTPOS machine when it says to
  • Putting your Flybuys through at the end
  • Saying ‘You look bored, I’ll give you something to do.’
  • Paying for groceries and handing over cents at the last second after the cashier has entered the amount you tendered
As customers, we should be mindful of the supermarket employees as well. They are working in difficult environments, managing and stocking shelves, dealing with the public and keeping their colleagues safe. We need to respect their efforts and make their jobs a little bit easier.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles employee has revealed the most frustrating things customers do and say when they’re at the checkout.
  • Some of the most frustrating things include asking the employee to smile more and inserting their cards into EFTPOS machines instead of tapping.

There you have it, folks! For those of you who worked in retail before, do you share similar sentiments with the Coles worker? Better yet, have you experienced similar stressful situations in your retail shift before? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I don't use TikTok, and, in fact - I strongly dislike the lecturing, boasting & so-called 'influencing' which that platform encourages. In this particular instance - sadly bought to our attention - it seems that yet another person does not understand her employment in a service industry means she gets paid to put up with every single one of the matters she complains about. I daresay none of the people she is complaining about will read her post, care or change - and why should they??

Reactions: Jennylolo
I would like to speak up for checkout operators. Fancy telling someone to smile...who do some customers think they are? And if I had that (repetitive, tiring, thankless, low paid) job, I would get a bit testy with people who made it less efficient too! Yes, I have gotten the odd rotten egg but most are chatty and polite, which I'm cool with and appreciate. Their packing is much better than I could do and they are not there to make our day. It's a short interaction, so let's make it as mutually positive & pleasant as possible.
Then she could always ask to be put on Shelf packing, I'm sure she would change her attitude very Smartly

Reactions: Jennylolo
I always say "hello how are you today?" to the checkout person. I put my groceries on the conveyor in the way I would like them packed. eg all cold together with an insulated bag on top. I then say to the checkout person that Ive put them all together to help make it easier to pack. I always, without fail, get thanked and usually "I wish everyone would do that it is makes my job a lot faster" . Re tap or insert. Insert is safer and I believe that tapping incurs a fee for the retailer whereas inserting is safer and no fees for either??? If I am served by someone who is great, I make sure that I see the service desk and say what a pleasure it was to be served by that person. Luckily I have only once had a rude girl who wouldn't smile and so I just said hello to her and when she gave me the change (yep back in the money days), I just said to her how pretty she would be if she smiled at the customers and just said hello. I then walked away and stood outside and from that moment on, she said hello and smiled. Win win. Sometimes everyone just needs a bit of positivity.

I learnt a valuable lesson at Aldi last week, if buying multiples of one item put only one on the belt and tell the operator how many you have in your trolley e.g. cans of cat food/long life milk, one of each variety when buying multiples. Much quicker and easier to pack at the end of the line and now I only insert my card at Aldi because of the surcharge. Makes the mind think and remember the pin.;)
I do that regardless of which store I go in. Also avoids over heavy bags that they overfill

I always say "hello how are you today?" to the checkout person. I put my groceries on the conveyor in the way I would like them packed. eg all cold together with an insulated bag on top. I then say to the checkout person that Ive put them all together to help make it easier to pack. I always, without fail, get thanked and usually "I wish everyone would do that it is makes my job a lot faster" . Re tap or insert. Insert is safer and I believe that tapping incurs a fee for the retailer whereas inserting is safer and no fees for either??? If I am served by someone who is great, I make sure that I see the service desk and say what a pleasure it was to be served by that person. Luckily I have only once had a rude girl who wouldn't smile and so I just said hello to her and when she gave me the change (yep back in the money days), I just said to her how pretty she would be if she smiled at the customers and just said hello. I then walked away and stood outside and from that moment on, she said hello and smiled. Win win. Sometimes everyone just needs a bit of positivity.
I greet also and we often have a chat.

Reactions: Ezzy and Marj53
We all know how frustrating it can be to wait in a long queue, whether we're at the bank or at the supermarket. And as much as we might like to believe that everyone is patient and understanding when they're standing in line, that's unfortunately not always the case.

Some people just can't seem to help but do things that drive those around them up the wall – especially cashiers and other customer service employees who have to deal with them daily.

A Coles cashier recently took to TikTok to reveal some of the most frustrating things customers do and say when they're at her checkout, and let's just say, we can definitely see where she's coming from (mostly)!

Sharing her views on TikTok, the cashier listed off her pet peeves, which included asking her to smile more, inserting their cards into EFTPOS machines instead of contactless paywave and using coupons for items that are not on sale.

486eb48895b73ba9295bfd56607e2ad5fc5b95ca-161x229-x0y88w814h1158.png

The Coles employee aired her grievances on TikTok, revealing some of the things that customers should not be doing. Credit: TikTok.

The TikTok user also added the hashtag #cashierproblems and #cashierlife in the caption of her video, urging customers not to do the things she mentioned.

So, without further ado, here are some of the things that checkout employees hate the most:

1. Placing heavy items on the conveyor belt

Heavy items should never be placed on the conveyor belt because it’s a hassle for check-out workers and can even be dangerous. Not only do they have to reach over the item to scan it, but they also have to lift it up to place it in a bag. If you are buying a lot of heavy items, it is best to leave them in your trolley so that the cashier can easily scan them from there.

2. Inserting their card into the EFTPOS machine

Some customers, instead of tapping their cards when checking out their items, insert their cards into the EFTPOS machine. They then have to wait for the machine to read them and process them, as well as enter their pin.

This makes the whole process longer.

3. Asking them to smile more

Some customers, besides asking the staff to give them a discount, also like to request some ‘emotional labour’.

Apparently, some shoppers want the staff to be ‘happy’, so when checking them out, they ask them to ‘smile more’. I’m sure any ladies reading this right now know exactly how it feels to be on the receiving end of that.

Other habits that were mentioned include:
  • Overpackaging your bags with your purchases
  • Going through a checkout that says ‘closed’
  • Not removing your card from the EFTPOS machine when it says to
  • Putting your Flybuys through at the end
  • Saying ‘You look bored, I’ll give you something to do.’
  • Paying for groceries and handing over cents at the last second after the cashier has entered the amount you tendered
As customers, we should be mindful of the supermarket employees as well. They are working in difficult environments, managing and stocking shelves, dealing with the public and keeping their colleagues safe. We need to respect their efforts and make their jobs a little bit easier.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles employee has revealed the most frustrating things customers do and say when they’re at the checkout.
  • Some of the most frustrating things include asking the employee to smile more and inserting their cards into EFTPOS machines instead of tapping.

There you have it, folks! For those of you who worked in retail before, do you share similar sentiments with the Coles worker? Better yet, have you experienced similar stressful situations in your retail shift before? Share your stories with us in the comments below!
Having worked in retail banking for around 40 years I can relate to some of these comments, but others make me see red.
If you can’t smile and greet every customer like they are important (because they are, they’re why you have a job) then you’re in the wrong job.
If you encounter a tough customer, don’t take it out on the next one, it’s not their fault.
Two stories I would like to share, I had a particularly difficult customer some years back. My next customer had heard the abuse hurled at me and when he arrived at my counter told me what he wanted and then said he would be back shortly and disappeared outside. He did come back, with a bunch of flowers for me to make up for my bad experience. That really put me in tears.
Next story is very similar but has occurred many times and the words have always been similar, “how can you smile and greet me so warmly when you’ve just had to cope with that”. My answer, “because you aren’t them”.
As for getting annoyed about people who give change, I am one of those people. If I have the required 25 or 80 cents etc in my purse I will use it. It’s not my fault that staff can’t do simple mathematics. They should be ashamed of themselves, not blame the customer.
I may need to be educated on the next issue, but what difference does it make if you use your rewards card at the beginning or end, usually cashiers have half my groceries processed by the time my trolley is empty.
Tapping my card charges my credit card, inserting allows me the option of using my savings acc, surely this is the customer’s choice.

Reactions: Hughsie
Is the cashier doing the rant a young person? Judging from the spelling error & incidences mentioned l would have to think so. I think a mature adult would have more patience & wouldn't post something like this.

Just a small point:- On spelling errors too, l have often noticed that some folk do not know the difference between their & there. Their refers to something personal, their mail. There refers to distance (for example), the cat is over there. The mistakes I've seen are always when THERE is used in both situations.

The, the. That's all folks.

I never use self checkouts because I like the interaction with the operator. If I had that girl serve me all the time I would self checkout and she wouldn't have a job. I always insert my card because its "pending" if I don't .

I would like to reply to that Coles employee.
1. It doesn’t hurt to smile, I sometimes feel the employees would rather be somewhere else then serving customers.
2.It’s my card and I use it as I please.
3. Your job is to scan, no matter how heavy the item, ( I bet you’d wish you could scan something, when all checkouts are self serve and your out of a job.)
Now here are my 3 pet hates.
1. Allowing people (women mainly) speaking on the phone at the checkout and holding everybody up.
2. Allowing 20 items or more, to go through in the 12 items or less checkout.
3. When the cashier is having a long chat with someone they know and keeps everybody waiting.

Reactions: Hughsie