SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
DO NOT reply to this ATO scam text message!

As the important tax deadlines creep in, cyber criminals are taking the opportunity to steal more money from vulnerable Australians. And the best way we can fight this is by making others aware of the gimmick.

One person received an odd text message from a scammer pretending to be from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and so, they took to social media to advise others to keep their guards up.

“Be aware! ATO fraud phishing text messages going around.” they wrote in their Reddit post.

The fraudulent message read: “ATO GOV: We have banned your TFN, please provide the necessary information: bz-gov.pw. If you refuse or fail to provide, you may be subject to legal penalties.”

hz5-INzjz50OFr6AY1BVnLdUw7O48LTwt0lzfrTx0PrH3fDkNJoddamX_Tem8DPHZb57JBGYeocKELsg5srRuFzo9bv426pOwJ7q4sRTRhVXT2NGvu_BekZhKK9hegUbZq7VNB3H

Image Credit: news.com.au

It comes as the May 16 deadline for taxes draws nearer, with tax agents filing applications on their clients' behalf.

Tax season typically prompts a barrage of ploys carried out by scammers and usually, they do it in a way that’ll surely threaten people, manipulating them to think they’ll be punished if they don’t give in to their demands.

Some Reddit users tried to make light of the situation with a few jokes, with one saying: “Ban my TFN. Well, looks like I just can‘t pay taxes. That’s a shame.”

While another chimed: “Oh no. How will I ever pay my taxes again?”

A third user suggested that the recipient should text the scammer back, but others were quick to shut the idea down as even just messing around with a simple response may give the scammer more information about you, even if it’s just a matter of verifying your number to them.

ATO released a statement about the issue on their website stating: “The real ATO will never send you an SMS or email with a link to log in to our online services.”

“And while we may use SMS or email to ask you to contact us, we will never ask you to return personal information through these channels.”

“If you’re ever unsure whether it’s really the ATO, don’t reply. Phone us on 1800 008 540 to check.”

This isn’t the first time scammers tried to milk as much money with a coinciding tax deadline. Two months ago, cyber criminals impersonated the ATO, warning people that they were suspected of being involved in a cryptocurrency tax evasion.

And to prove their innocence, they were instructed to click on a link and connect their cryptocurrency wallet.

WTyNtG-YeGaOoAtlxwPS_K_BFGsLHu-tAA_vSHfL4y-RuaVVsxnCArQU8aoIWKEtuCBXfVrVkeyXrYun1sYoyY2af-WsVSQ6KmunBZ_rTZ5g9VknOhN3KUYSdPicXVQqc1P-5Zzo

Image Credit: news.com.au

“If you receive an SMS or email like this, don’t click on the link. It will take you to a fake myGov log on page, designed to steal your personal information,” the ATO advised.

The ATO regularly updates their website to warn others of the latest scams.

And because there are countless ways scammers attempt to trick us, it’s simply best to keep an eye out for suspicious text messages that prompt you to click a link, respond to them immediately, or provide private information.

One of the SDC members encountered just that and she courageously came forward to us about a message she received from scammers pretending to be from PayPal.

If you receive any dodgy text messages, feel free to contact us directly, share them in the comments, or post about it in the scam forum to warn others.

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci, BJM and Liz
We had a phone call some years ago about not paying our taxation. I knew it was a scam as we do not pay tax (pensioners) but the fellow was so convincing and said the police were coming to deport me in 45 minutes I still actually looked out the window at the time. I consider we are reasonably intelligent people so I could not help but think how distressing the calls etc must be for people who have English as a second language or are really elderly. Shame on the scammers

• Angry
Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
We had a phone call some years ago about not paying our taxation. I knew it was a scam as we do not pay tax (pensioners) but the fellow was so convincing and said the police were coming to deport me in 45 minutes I still actually looked out the window at the time. I consider we are reasonably intelligent people so I could not help but think how distressing the calls etc must be for people who have English as a second language or are really elderly. Shame on the scammers
OMG 😳 , please…we have had SO many warnings over the last few years about these types of scams…government agencies, banks, Telstra etc. NEVER request you to divulge your personal details over the phone, in emails or messages !!! Wake up!!! If you’re not sure contact whoever it’s meant to be directly, never put your info out there online!!

Reactions: Ricci
Ho hum. Another day, another scam. I no longer have a home phone as I got totally fed up with scam calls, my mobile screens for scam calls luckily so only about 1% gets through and I keep no personal information on my phone. My laptop is now the main recipient of unsolicited messages and any iffy emails I get are deleted without even opening them. It's getting to be a full time job just to keep yourself safe these days.:mad:

OMG 😳 , please…we have had SO many warnings over the last few years about these types of scams…government agencies, banks, Telstra etc. NEVER request you to divulge your personal details over the phone, in emails or messages !!! Wake up!!! If you’re not sure contact whoever it’s meant to be directly, never put your info out there online!!
OMG!!! "Wake up" yourself!!!

Possum Lover wasn't taken in by the caller and no harm was done. It was just an anecdote. It's a bit rude of you to assume they were fooled. Calm down and read what they wrote.

Reactions: Ricci