Do Bright Car Headlights Pose a Safety Risk? Motorists Divided

It's no secret that driving is a necessary part of our daily lives, from errands and grocery trips to visiting loved ones, road trips and weekend getaways.

But with great power comes great responsibility - in this case, the responsibility is our safety.

Believe it or not, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reports that over 1.3 million people die yearly from road traffic accidents.

That's why we must prioritise safety whenever we hit the road. This means ensuring our vehicle is in tip-top shape, following traffic laws, avoiding distractions (yes, that means putting down the phone), and keeping an eye out for our fellow drivers.

Additionally, we must adapt our driving to changing conditions because the road can be unpredictable.

Speaking of unforeseeable circumstances, one issue divides motorists — the use of bright headlights.

pexels-photo-6494665.jpeg

Motorists are divided over the safety of bright car headlights. Credit: Pexels/KoolShooters.

Recently, a motorist raised this issue on social media by asking for the opinions of other drivers.

‘Bright white car headlights should be banned, change my mind,’ they wrote in a post on Reddit.

‘These things are so bloody dangerous. If you are driving towards me, I can’t see anything. I am absolutely blinded by the lights in front of me.’

‘If you’re driving behind me, I still can’t see anything.’

The motorist then questioned the legality of the headlights, asking whether this feature could ‘have been the cause of accidents in the past’.

The post captured the attention of many, who shared their experience with the ‘blinding’ lights.

One user wrote: ‘I totally agree; they're everywhere too. I actually thought at first I was being blasted by high beams until I saw it everywhere.’

‘I have been down this path recently looking for headlight brightness or wattage laws for QLD,’ another said.

‘Unfortunately, I could not find any laws around the brightness or what wattage you are allowed to have your headlights at.’

A third chimed in: ‘A lot of the time, it seems to be people constantly running their high beams without a care in the world.’

‘Can always tell on cars that have separate low and high bulbs and run them together for the high beams. A ton of it going on on super well-lit roads in the inner city.’

One motorist said they empathise with the challenges of winter driving. With early afternoon darkness and adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain, fog, or slushy snow, driving becomes difficult.

Unfortunately, the situation is made worse by inexperienced drivers or newcomers who use HID headlights, hi-beams, or full-light racks.

Despite the assumption that more light improves visibility, these drivers need to realise that blasting light into dense fog, shiny snow, or refracting rain only exacerbates the already nightmarish conditions of daily commutes.

Others pointed out that the problem did not lie with the headlights but with the angle at which they were positioned.

One person wrote: ‘It's not the lights. It's the cut-off level that isn't set properly. The other car needs to dial the angle lower.’

‘So I found on my car I can control the angle. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people have adjusted their upwards (blinding those in front of them) and not realised it,’ another said.

A third explained: ‘A lot of aftermarket HID lights aren't installed properly, and it's worse on 4x4s because they are higher.’

pexels-photo-3048526.jpeg

Some pointed out that the position of the headlights is to blame for its safety risk. Credit: Pexels/Aleksandar Pasaric.

Some confessed to opting for ‘retaliatory driving’ when they encounter cars with their headlights on, with one user admitting: ‘I start driving at 20 under the speed limit when that happens. Do you want to use wanker lights? Have fun sitting behind me for the next couple of ks at 30km/h.’

One person went as far as to say that they wear their sunglasses when they drive at night so that they can see the ‘light right before my eyes’.

Members, we do not encourage these acts as engaging in such behaviour could lead to an accident and cause more harm.

Fortunately, one commenter expressed concern regarding the retaliatory driving responses suggested by a few individuals in the discussion, ending the discussion about possible ways to counter drivers with headlights on.

They believed that such actions were not only unsafe but also irresponsible. The commenter also urged drivers to remember that other drivers cannot read their minds and may not understand what they are retaliating against.

Key Takeaways
  • The World Health Organisation (WHO) reports that over 1.3 million people die each year from road traffic accidents.
  • The use of bright headlights has recently been divisive among motorists.
  • HID headlights, hi-beams, or full-light racks made visibility worse in changing conditions such as dense fog, shiny snow, or refracting rain.
  • One commenter expressed concern regarding retaliatory driving and suggested ways to counter drivers with headlights on that were both safe and responsible.

Members, this is a contentious issue worth discussing - what are your thoughts on bright white car headlights? Should they be banned, or is there something else that can be done to keep our roads safe? Share your views in the comments below!

Sponsored
It's no secret that driving is a necessary part of our daily lives, from errands and grocery trips to visiting loved ones, road trips and weekend getaways.

But with great power comes great responsibility - in this case, the responsibility is our safety.

Believe it or not, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reports that over 1.3 million people die yearly from road traffic accidents.

That's why we must prioritise safety whenever we hit the road. This means ensuring our vehicle is in tip-top shape, following traffic laws, avoiding distractions (yes, that means putting down the phone), and keeping an eye out for our fellow drivers.

Additionally, we must adapt our driving to changing conditions because the road can be unpredictable.

Speaking of unforeseeable circumstances, one issue divides motorists — the use of bright headlights.

Motorists are divided over the safety of bright car headlights. Credit: Pexels/KoolShooters.

Recently, a motorist raised this issue on social media by asking for the opinions of other drivers.

‘Bright white car headlights should be banned, change my mind,’ they wrote in a post on Reddit.

‘These things are so bloody dangerous. If you are driving towards me, I can’t see anything. I am absolutely blinded by the lights in front of me.’

The motorist then questioned the legality of the headlights, asking whether this feature could ‘have been the cause of accidents in the past’.

The post captured the attention of many, who shared their experience with the ‘blinding’ lights.

One user wrote: ‘I totally agree; they're everywhere too. I actually thought at first I was being blasted by high beams until I saw it everywhere.’

‘I have been down this path recently looking for headlight brightness or wattage laws for QLD,’ another said.

‘Unfortunately, I could not find any laws around the brightness or what wattage you are allowed to have your headlights at.’

A third chimed in: ‘A lot of the time, it seems to be people constantly running their high beams without a care in the world.’

‘Can always tell on cars that have separate low and high bulbs and run them together for the high beams. A ton of it going on on super well-lit roads in the inner city.’

One motorist said they empathise with the challenges of winter driving. With early afternoon darkness and adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain, fog, or slushy snow, driving becomes difficult.

Unfortunately, the situation is made worse by inexperienced drivers or newcomers who use HID headlights, hi-beams, or full-light racks.

Despite the assumption that more light improves visibility, these drivers need to realise that blasting light into dense fog, shiny snow, or refracting rain only exacerbates the already nightmarish conditions of daily commutes.

Others pointed out that the problem did not lie with the headlights but with the angle at which they were positioned.

One person wrote: ‘It's not the lights. It's the cut-off level that isn't set properly. The other car needs to dial the angle lower.’

‘So I found on my car I can control the angle. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people have adjusted their upwards (blinding those in front of them) and not realised it,’ another said.

A third explained: ‘A lot of aftermarket HID lights aren't installed properly, and it's worse on 4x4s because they are higher.’

Some pointed out that the position of the headlights is to blame for its safety risk. Credit: Pexels/Aleksandar Pasaric.

Some confessed to opting for ‘retaliatory driving’ when they encounter cars with their headlights on, with one user admitting: ‘I start driving at 20 under the speed limit when that happens. Do you want to use wanker lights? Have fun sitting behind me for the next couple of ks at 30km/h.’

One person went as far as to say that they wear their sunglasses when they drive at night so that they can see the ‘light right before my eyes’.

Members, we do not encourage these acts as engaging in such behaviour could lead to an accident and cause more harm.

Fortunately, one commenter expressed concern regarding the retaliatory driving responses suggested by a few individuals in the discussion, ending the discussion about possible ways to counter drivers with headlights on.

They believed that such actions were not only unsafe but also irresponsible. The commenter also urged drivers to remember that other drivers cannot read their minds and may not understand what they are retaliating against.

Key Takeaways

• The World Health Organisation (WHO) reports that over 1.3 million people die each year from road traffic accidents.
  • HID headlights, hi-beams, or full-light racks made visibility worse in changing conditions such as dense fog, shiny snow, or refracting rain.
  • One commenter expressed concern regarding retaliatory driving and suggested ways to counter drivers with headlights on that were both safe and responsible.

Members, this is a contentious issue worth discussing - what are your thoughts on bright white car headlights? Should they be banned, or is there something else that can be done to keep our roads safe? Share your views in the comments below!
They should be banned they are far too bright.

Key Takeaways

I couldn’t agree more that strong headlights particularly at night are a major risk and lights that aren’t aligned correctly they are blinding and can cause bad fatalities and something should be done about it.

Key Takeaways

Yes some lights are to bright.Many years ago your headlights were checked as part of your annual registration check.
However more of a problem that I am sure has contributed to many acciden and even death,is the road surface.Newer roads have a extremely black surface that seems to absorb your lights,in rain this is further compounded and almost makes the road lines and markings almost impossible to see. A really great example of this is on the freeway near Lithgow.Of the 2 lanes heading into Lithgow one was recently resurfaced.With even light rain your visibility on the newer surface is vastly diminished ,however the original surface on the other lane your visibility is so much better.Is this newer road surface just a cost cutting or is the RTA just too stupid to notice it.

Yes some lights are to bright.Many years ago your headlights were checked as part of your annual registration check.
However more of a problem that I am sure has contributed to many acciden and even death,is the road surface.Newer roads have a extremely black surface that seems to absorb your lights,in rain this is further compounded and almost makes the road lines and markings almost impossible to see. A really great example of this is on the freeway near Lithgow.Of the 2 lanes heading into Lithgow one was recently resurfaced.With even light rain your visibility on the newer surface is vastly diminished ,however the original surface on the other lane your visibility is so much better.Is this newer road surface just a cost cutting or is the RTA just too stupid to notice it.
I agree. I started driving in the UK many years ago and I seem to remember the white lines were always easy to see, even in the wet. Maybe they used some kind of fluorescent paint. The paint used in Australia (in NSW anyway) seems to disappear as soon as it gets wet. Does anybody know more about why this happens?

High beam lights should automatically switch off if street lights or any other light is shining towards the car.
The new LED low beam lights are to bright. They blinding you in particular if there is a crest and or the car is loaded, so that the adjustments are not right. I had many occasions, where I didn't see the road for a couple of seconds anymore.

Definitely need to be banned
I drive for a living and am at a point now where I’m considering giving up just because of these lights. Some of them are so strong they burn my eyes. I have often wondered how many single vehicle accidents have in fact happened because the driver was blinded by these lights.

Key Takeaways

Key Takeaways

Not understand? How many times does it have to happen before they wake up?

Reactions: Marj53
I find them too bright when you are driving in the rain for instance and suddenly you have a bright light coming at you in the opposite direction you are temporally blinded. When that happens I slow down until they have passed so that I can then adjust my eyes, but note I only do that if there isn't any traffic behind me or I have plenty of space, cos if I am blinded by the lights then they too are having trouble seeing.

Key Takeaways

Only specialised service garages should be able to adjust the angle of these lights, but I know that would be impossible to do or to enforce. Another issue I have is with all the newer makes and models of cars having fancy shaped lights, brake lights all the way across the back and fog lights being used on a day to day basis. To use fog lights is illegal if there is no fog.

And here’s a beauty! (Not) I saw a car with fancy headlights behind us the other day - shaped like eyes and, believe it or not, it also had shaped and lighted up eyebrows. Now surely motoring authorities and the government’s head motoring authority have the power to stop these being imported. They were so perfect that I’m positive it was a manufacturing gimmick and could not have been installed by the owner. That would have taken a good bit of nouse, time and effort.

A few years ago I looked at upgrading my headlights. In the store there was a rig with 5 or 6 headlamp bulbs installed with switches for each lamp that allowed you to see the brightness of each bulb. The bulbs in the rig were arranged with a standard bulb, followed by increasingly brighter bulbs. The brightest 2 bulbs were intensely bright but were for rallying or some other motorsport. I was told that it was illegal to fit them for normal road use. Yet I could have easily bought them. While I chose the brightest legal bulbs for my car, I'm sure there are many people who fit the super bright bulbs.
In the meantime manufacturers have fitted ultra bright LED bulbs in the headlights of new cars. While they are great on your car they dazzle the f*^k out of oncoming drivers.
Good luck getting the police or anyone else to care about this issue. The best we can do is to concentrate on looking at the left side of the road rather then the oncoming dazzle. As suggested during our driving lessons.

Reactions: terri and Rob44
With all this stupid technology in cars the drivers just leave things as they are and don't control anything in the car. I especially hate the automatic lights that come on, people don't realise they can be adjusted and just drive them as is. Plus the other issue is as we get older our eyesight isn't always the best, a lot of people have eyes problems without realising. But something should really be done about these bright lights, why were manufacturers allowed to make them be so bright in the first place

Dam Fo

Key Takeaways

The other thing is dam fog lights, the only reason people have fog lights on the car in Australia is to show people they don't have the base model car. It is illegal to have them on during the day and yes bright now days headlights are a pain. The other thing is the bright headlights shining on those reflective signs out on the highway, they shine back in your face and you can hardly see a thing in front of you when there is a few of them together.

Key Takeaways