DIY enthusiast shares tip for creating a chic piece of furniture using an unlikely Kmart item

We all know that budget retailers such as Kmart and Bunnings are good places to go for affordable home goods, but who knew you could also create stunning pieces of furniture from their kitchen products?

Aussie crafter Kristine Ham has proved that you can make beautiful furniture out of the most unlikely objects with her latest project – a bedside table made from two bamboo bread bins!

No need for a double take, folks! The DIY enthusiast actually built a bedside table using the $19 bamboo bread bins from Kmart. Talk about innovation!

818xsfpHBFQnsIWOuZvWCP4hZJEg6fDVTGJPrZpSG0mzLNFWFe6JNXl7hiJYC4jzpU3DHkXh5xPV55j-eMOib19a7rjXMHng1mY4l8gTL7Oab1APPJHNQZYgqFciMeM3oNrxmil6gvRVsr3q

Aussie crafter Kristine Ham created a ritzy-looking piece of furniture using an unlikely Kmart item. Credit: Instagram/@extra.ordinary.home.

Kristine shared the DIY on her Instagram page @extra.ordinary.home, and we were amazed by how stunning the piece turned out.

She wrote in her post: "Have I officially lost it? In short, yes. But also, I made a little side table using... Bread bins."

"Have I gone too far? Actually, don't answer that. Just behold my latest bizarre piece of furniture that was crafted by things that were absolutely NOT meant to be furniture."

So, how did Kristine do it?

The crafter said that the first thing she did was to glue and nail the bins together lengthways, emphasising that the bread bin handles should be positioned in the centre so the doors would slide outwards and can still be opened to allow for storage of items like chargers and books, which makes it a very practical bedside table.

S0m-idKrHhMRw6xIfC26_Nusbc37X0v8wjRMUEAhqv0bzISyybGi5JgUUrsm08mLf3vXd5MCMs6SFaQfMiAqxOQEdHkbxQYG5S90h29g1Ks8fh_nuhGG_gH5hRc73nSVziQKRVhwzSrp8vR3

Kristine glued and nailed the bread bins together to create the “base”. Credit: Instagram/@extra.ordinary.home.

Next, she constructed the legs of the table using wood offcuts before painting them with Bunnings' Feast Watson Prooftint in Oak.

Then, Kristine attached the legs to the "base" of the bread bins with nails.

Finally, she painted the bread bins with Porters Paints Eggshell paint.

The result? A stunning piece of furniture!

Instagram users gushed over the project, with many complimenting Kristine for her clever and creative trick.

One person wrote: "This is epic."

"This is the best hack ever!" another said.

A number of users could not resist making some jokes about the creation because they still couldn’t believe that an unlikely item can be transformed into a stunning piece of furniture.

One comment read: "Finally, a way to store my two-night loaves."

"I guess that's called thinking outside 'the bin'," another wrote.

ktMvoo2klC6Ki3PGIl0aPfjMploGSvXnAxUZ4t0I9ahi7uWs1skyuDwwvkypRXIrOLr4pEN0pnoyAj95bBWKML0Nn8vdJBMOTYhZvlJOEZWxjYF_DqMER8MhPD6vEnxmoXE02AG_-mectfQe

The legs are made from wood offcuts. Credit: Instagram/@extra.ordinary.home.

As it turned out, a number of users expressed their keenness to try making the project themselves, leaving Kristine to thank her Instagram followers.

"Are there any bread bins left at Kmart? I still need to make another to make my set match, so make sure you leave some for me!" she joked.

How about you? Are you looking forward to recreating this project yourself? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Some.people are very clever. That is really thinking outside the (bread) box. Looks great.

Reactions: Ricci
Myself no as I have no need for it but I think it is very original and certainly looks far more expensive to buy than what it cost to make.

That’s an example of a person with the right skills. I’m not sure I would use a piece of furniture like this myself, but that’s definitely good craftsmanship.
Unfortunately, I’m not that good at crafting and had to buy all the furniture in my house. My recent purchase is the garden furniture I got this Spring. It’s a nice set of six chairs and a table. The best is a sunny day in the garden when my kids visit me. You can click for more info here. They have many different designs, and maybe you will find something you need.
I recommend this furniture because it’s still new after the entire summer and fall of being actively used.

Last edited: