'Disrespectful and tricky?' Commonwealth Bank's major service plan draws speculation from customers

We rely on banks to keep our hard-earned money safe, especially during times of need.

Yet, with the rapid advancement of technology, banking services have adapted to digital ways of how they take care of their clients.

In a move that could change the banking experience for millions, a central Aussie bank's ambitious initiative raised concerns about the quality of customer service people receive.

The Commonwealth Bank (CBA) announced a major plan to integrate artificial intelligence (AI) into its customer service operations.

The bank started trials for Hey CommBank, an AI-driven platform designed to assist customers with their inquiries.

Commonwealth Bank staff, who are also customers, have been testing the AI-driven service.

compressed-commbank.jpeg
Commonwealth Bank's latest plans aim to include AI services for customer support. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Casimiro PT

Hey CommBank should be able to handle simple inquiries and provide conversational, ChatGPT-style answers to more complex banking questions customers may have.

The bank is the first to use an 'AI factory' developed in collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS).

CBA's chief data and analytics officer, Dr Andrew McMullan, stated that customers would be 'so familiar with using ChatGPT-style services that it becomes the way that they interact with the bank as well, through our digital channels'.

'We are trying to understand what engagement is like and how those agents interact with customers. We are making sure that we're very responsible,' Dr McMullan added.

However, the advancement raised eyebrows, as it could also change the workforce.

The Finance Sector Union criticised the bank's move, calling it 'disrespectful and tricky'.

'Once again, AI is being introduced into the workplace without any consultation with workers or customers,' the union's Assistant Secretary, Nicole McPherson, said.

She also stated that AI could have significant implications for employees and the quality of service.

Despite these concerns, CBA insisted that the AI tool should complement human staff.

Integrating Hey CommBank could free up employees and let them focus on more complex customer needs.

The bank also emphasised that they value their workforce and are committed to discussing any future changes that could impact them in the future.

To assure their customers, Dr McMullan highlighted CBA's consistent track record of investing in technology and its people.

They shared that a combination of AI tools and staff expertise should give better services to customers.

They also have 'safety guardrails' implemented to protect customers from fraud.

Apart from Hey CommBank, CBA also uses AI to monitor about 50,000 customer calls to its local call centres.

The AI could provide a transcript of a customer call in record time and assess if the caller had a satisfactory experience.

This development could promise faster and more efficient banking services, especially for tech-savvy customers.

On the other hand, there are genuine concerns about the impersonal nature of AI and how it could affect customers who are not as tech-savvy.

As the bank forges ahead with its AI-driven initiatives, many speculate about the future of the bank's services.
Key Takeaways

• Commonwealth Bank started trialling their AI customer service platform, Hey CommBank, which could assist customers through Chat-GPT style answers.
  • The move raised concerns about the potential replacement of local call centre staff.
  • Union representatives criticised the bank for a lack of consultation with workers and customers over the integration of AI into its systems.
  • The bank assured us that it has no intention of making such replacements and should complement human staff for a more efficient service.
How do you feel about Commonwealth Bank's introduction of AI in customer service? Do you think these AI services will affect the way you transact at your local bank? Please share your insights and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
All is good. F_k off the CBA and do your research about the Australian Citizens Party just getting approval through government for an Australian People's bank - to be ran through Australia Posts. Stay posted...

Agree with all the other comments!
They (& other banks) will not listen to what we the customer want unfort

You know I'm pretty cluey and I can manage fine in this digital age. However it really grates on my nerves when the chatbot can’t understand my query and I have to repeat that I want to speak with an operator, because an operator is the only one who can press the right buttons to satisfy my query. If/when AI eventually take over from a person, how in the world can an artificial intelligence make an informed decision, about how I felt about the discourse I had with it or how my emotions felt…..how on earth can a ‘non human’ make a decision about a real human. Also, there’ll be no room for any argument or negotiation…… It’ll be black or white……Future generations will be fine because they will have grown up with all the new technology and will no more speak to a human than fly to Mars…….I always manage to go with the flow….dear hubby hasn’t even left the shore yet…….But then I’ve never been an optimist 🤷‍♀️ :LOL:🥂

Reactions: IAN3005
You know I'm pretty cluey and I can manage fine in this digital age. However it really grates on my nerves when the chatbot can’t understand my query and I have to repeat that I want to speak with an operator, because an operator is the only one who can press the right buttons to satisfy my query. If/when AI eventually take over from a person, how in the world can an artificial intelligence make an informed decision, about how I felt about the discourse I had with it or how my emotions felt…..how on earth can a ‘non human’ make a decision about a real human. Also, there’ll be no room for any argument or negotiation…… It’ll be black or white……Future generations will be fine because they will have grown up with all the new technology and will no more speak to a human than fly to Mars…….I always manage to go with the flow….dear hubby hasn’t even left the shore yet…….But then I’ve never been an optimist 🤷‍♀️ :LOL:🥂
I thought I was the only one. Sometimes, I think I might take Swahili.
Vodafone is the worst yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Miss Chris
That's all well and good if you can find a local bank that is still OPEN these days....they have all closed heaps of local banks in all states....where is the SERVICE for customers these days...honestly it's an absolute disgrace.🤬🤬🤬
In 1974 I joined the then Savings Bank of South Australia. It had around 150 plus branches statewide. Today it trades as BankSA (a subsiduary of Westpac). A handful of those branches remain but they have been merged with Westpac branches and co-branded as Westpac/BankSA.. Most banks are now owned by the big four. For example Westpac own BankSA, Bank of Melbourne, St. George Bank, along with Rams home loans, Bankers Trust and many other financial subsiduaries.

I thought I was the only one. Sometimes, I think I might take Swahili.
Vodafone is the worst yet.
It happened again this afternoon, so I just typed a selection of letters and spaces…it answered ‘Would you like to be referred to a human’. Aah but you have to laugh sometimes :LOL::LOL:🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: IAN3005