Discovery of 'baby rat' in food can urges immediate investigation in Coles supermarket

Content warning: The article mentions graphic content and images that may be disturbing for readers. Discretion is advised.

Many believe that the food purchased from local supermarkets is safe and hygienic. Most would also assume that the food is free from foreign objects and matter that can potentially be hazardous to one’s health.

Sadly that expectation was busted recently when one Coles customer experienced a horror they'll never forget.

The shopper took to social media to share a very disturbing find inside a tin of chickpeas.

In the confronting video posted on social media, the customer is seen emptying the tin of chickpeas into a serving bowl, which then reveals what appears to be a baby rat in the liquid among the food.

Speaking to a news source, the South Australian shopper—who relies on the product for their daily meals—said they were horrified by the discovery.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 085901.png
Coles supermarket urges investigation as a ‘baby rat’ found inside their chickpeas product. Image: TikTok / @ecoenigma0

'I was horrified, I use these almost every day and was about to make my salad, but it ruined my day,' he said.

'It was on top. Looks like it’s half a rat—the other half must be in other cans.'

The shopper reached out to Coles regarding the matter as he was desperate to make certain that ‘no one gets sick eating from the same batch’.

When asked to comment on the matter, a Coles representative said that the supermarket is investigating the incident with their supplier and agreed that it shouldn't have happened and the foreign matter should have been identified and removed.

'Food safety is paramount at Coles,' the spokesperson said. 'We are concerned to hear about this customer’s experience and we are currently investigating with our supplier.’

'Our suppliers take great care when processing products and include a team that conducts quality checks during processing. This item in question inside this product should have been identified and graded out at the time of processing.’

'In this case, we have apologised to the customer for their experience.'

Screenshot 2023-12-05 085901.png
A Coles shopper made a gruesome discovery when he opened a can of chickpeas. Image: TikTok / @ecoenigma0

In a similar story, a former employee of Coles discovered a large number of rodents infested the facility at the company’s Forest Lakes distribution centre in Heathwood, southwest of Brisbane.

You can read the full story here.

Customers of Coles can return any item they’re not 100 per cent contented with to their nearest store for a replacement or a full refund.

The incident garnered attention on social media, and people voiced their concerns in the shocking discovery.

‘I eat these chickpeas all the time,’ said one.

Added another: ‘In chickpeas!?!?! Is literally anything safe anymore.’

Screenshot 2023-12-05 085922.png
The customer found what he assumed was a ‘baby rat’ and reported the incident to Coles. Image: TikTok / @ecoenigma0

‘I have a few of these in the pantry, and I’m in Adelaide, so I’ll go check tomorrow,’ one wrote.

One expressed: ‘I have now unlocked a new fear from canned chickpeas.’

Another said: ‘What the h*ll.’

It doesn't hurt to be extra mindful of what you’re eating. When you buy tinned goods, make sure you take a closer look as it's emptied out on your plate.

If you see anything suspicious, take it back to the store and ask for a refund and a replacement—that way, you don't have to worry about getting sick after eating it.

You can watch the shopper’s full video below. Fair warning, members, it is graphic:

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket customer claimed to find part of a baby rat in a can of chickpeas.
  • The South Australian shopper posted a video on social media showing the alleged rat’s half body and tail inside the chickpea tin.
  • The shopper said he had contacted Coles wanting to make sure 'no one gets sick eating from the same batch’.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that the supermarket is investigating the issue with its supplier, affirming that the foreign object should have been found and removed during processing.

What do you think of this story? Do you agree that the unidentified object is a baby rat? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Content warning: The article mentions graphic content and images that may be disturbing for readers. Discretion is advised.

Many believe that the food purchased from local supermarkets is safe and hygienic. Most would also assume that the food is free from foreign objects and matter that can potentially be hazardous to one’s health.

Sadly that expectation was busted recently when one Coles customer experienced a horror they'll never forget.

The shopper took to social media to share a very disturbing find inside a tin of chickpeas.

In the confronting video posted on social media, the customer is seen emptying the tin of chickpeas into a serving bowl, which then reveals what appears to be a baby rat in the liquid among the food.

Speaking to a news source, the South Australian shopper—who relies on the product for their daily meals—said they were horrified by the discovery.

View attachment 36637
Coles supermarket urges investigation as a ‘baby rat’ found inside their chickpeas product. Image: TikTok / @ecoenigma0

'I was horrified, I use these almost every day and was about to make my salad, but it ruined my day,' he said.

'It was on top. Looks like it’s half a rat—the other half must be in other cans.'

The shopper reached out to Coles regarding the matter as he was desperate to make certain that ‘no one gets sick eating from the same batch’.

When asked to comment on the matter, a Coles representative said that the supermarket is investigating the incident with their supplier and agreed that it shouldn't have happened and the foreign matter should have been identified and removed.

'Food safety is paramount at Coles,' the spokesperson said. 'We are concerned to hear about this customer’s experience and we are currently investigating with our supplier.’

'Our suppliers take great care when processing products and include a team that conducts quality checks during processing. This item in question inside this product should have been identified and graded out at the time of processing.’

View attachment 36638
A Coles shopper made a gruesome discovery when he opened a can of chickpeas. Image: TikTok / @ecoenigma0

In a similar story, a former employee of Coles discovered a large number of rodents infested the facility at the company’s Forest Lakes distribution centre in Heathwood, southwest of Brisbane.

Customers of Coles can return any item they’re not 100 per cent contented with to their nearest store for a replacement or a full refund.

The incident garnered attention on social media, and people voiced their concerns in the shocking discovery.

View attachment 36639
The customer found what he assumed was a ‘baby rat’ and reported the incident to Coles. Image: TikTok / @ecoenigma0

‘I have a few of these in the pantry, and I’m in Adelaide, so I’ll go check tomorrow,’ one wrote.

It doesn't hurt to be extra mindful of what you’re eating. When you buy tinned goods, make sure you take a closer look as it's emptied out on your plate.

If you see anything suspicious, take it back to the store and ask for a refund and a replacement—that way, you don't have to worry about getting sick after eating it.

You can watch the shopper’s full video below. Fair warning, members, it is graphic:

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket customer claimed to find part of a baby rat in a can of chickpeas.
  • The South Australian shopper posted a video on social media showing the alleged rat’s half body and tail inside the chickpea tin.
  • The shopper said he had contacted Coles wanting to make sure 'no one gets sick eating from the same batch’.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that the supermarket is investigating the issue with its supplier, affirming that the foreign object should have been found and removed during processing.

What do you think of this story? Do you agree that the unidentified object is a baby rat? Let us know in the comments below!

How can they hold coles responsible it goes back to the company who originally canned it they are the ones that should be held responsible due to health and safety regulations it must have been caught up in their equipment

View attachment 36637

View attachment 36638

View attachment 36639

Key Takeaways

The video did not appear - just a blank space so cannot comment!

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 36637

View attachment 36638

View attachment 36639

Key Takeaways

Seriously! You got your 5 minutes of fame and made a tiktok video about it also!!...what would you have done without social media?? Taken it back to the store and complained...maybe try that FIRST....

View attachment 36637

View attachment 36638

View attachment 36639

Key Takeaways

I find a dead animal in packaging. Every time I go to the meat department 😜

Thinking ahead will ensure you have a supply available from your freezer.
Soak overnight and cook dried chickpeas.
Drain, fill container or sandwich bags to desired amount. Freeze.
So much cheaper than canned. One cup dried = 3 cups cooked.
Same for kidney beans…and the list on.

View attachment 36637

View attachment 36638

View attachment 36639

Key Takeaways

Yuck.. I feel very much for people who do eat this product. It seems to be for foods generally, there is a risk of this type of incident becoming more prominent than before.
Do the companies still have Food Inspectors checking daily ? It doesn't give the consumer any real confidence
does it ?

Reactions: Leenie