Discover this sophisticated scam targeting travellers - don't be the next victim!

The world of travel is filled with excitement, adventure, and unfortunately, scams. The Consumer Protection’s WA ScamNet team has recently issued a warning about a sophisticated new scam that could turn your dream holiday into a nightmare. This scam is particularly concerning as it targets unsuspecting travellers through what appears to be legitimate communication from their accommodation providers.

The Scam: A Two-Pronged Attack

This elaborate scam begins with the scammer posing as a genuine customer and targeting a hotel. They may claim to need assistance with downloading 'important' information related to their upcoming stay. For instance, they might say they suffer from allergies to certain cleaning products and need the hotel to cross-reference the substances used. Alternatively, they could request a map they've created to be printed off for their technologically-challenged parents.

Regardless of the excuse, the endgame remains the same. Once the hotel employee downloads the malware-infected documents, the scammer gains full access to their sensitive information. This includes login credentials, financial details, and contact information for their other customers.

image2.png
Beware of scammers! If in doubt, ask for help! Image: Freepik.

The second part of the scam involves the scammer sending a convincing message via a fake booking link to the hotel’s future guests, asking for additional credit card verification. The message appears to come from the hotel, making it seem legitimate and trustworthy.

The Dangers of Falling for the Scam

The sophistication of this scam is alarming, and even the most scam-savvy consumers could potentially fall victim to it. Handing over credit card details in response to these messages could lead to significant financial loss and a ruined holiday.

How to Protect Yourself

While this scam is indeed sophisticated, consumers can protect themselves by following WA ScamNet’s advice against malware and phishing. This includes:
  • Avoid clicking on unexpected or unsolicited links, even from trusted businesses. Instead, contact the company directly at an official email address or phone number to confirm the message's authenticity. Do not rely on contact details provided in an unexpected message.
  • Be suspicious of messages encouraging you to act quickly and never enter personal or banking details into any website unless you are certain it is genuine. Check the URL carefully for indicators of deception.
  • If you have provided your financial information through a suspicious link or in response to an unexpected message, contact your financial institution immediately and follow their guidance on securing your finances.

Essentially, it's important to remember that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. You should also be aware of the symptoms that a company or any website dealing with personal information has been compromised.

Key Takeaways
  • Consumer Protection's WA ScamNet team has issued a warning about a sophisticated scam that targets travellers and accommodation providers.
  • The scam begins with hackers posing as genuine customers who manipulate hotel employees into downloading malware-infected documents, which give scammers access to sensitive information.
  • The scammers then send fake booking links to future guests of the hotel asking for additional credit card verification.
  • People are advised to avoid clicking on unexpected links, to contact the company directly to confirm any requests, and to report any suspicious activity to their financial institution and WA ScamNet.

If you're a victim of this scam or any other suspicious website or online venture in general, it's always wise to call your local police or the Australian Cyber Security Centre with a hotline number 1300 CYBER1 (1300 292 371) to report the crime. You could also visit the National Anti-Scam Centre’s ScamWatch or the Australian Signals Directorate to reach for help. If you think your credit card details have been leaked, you should also contact your bank and be sure to check your accounts regularly for any unexpected activity or payments.

We also encourage our members to post about any scams they have come across on our Scam Watch forum. This way, our whole community can stay on top of the current scams circulating.

Finally, no matter how savvy you think you are when it comes to avoiding scams, never underestimate the skill and craftiness of scammers. Keep your guard up and be extra cautious, especially when it comes to travel and accommodation bookings! Always be vigilant, members! Let us know what you think in the comments below!

Sponsored
The world of travel is filled with excitement, adventure, and unfortunately, scams. The Consumer Protection’s WA ScamNet team has recently issued a warning about a sophisticated new scam that could turn your dream holiday into a nightmare. This scam is particularly concerning as it targets unsuspecting travellers through what appears to be legitimate communication from their accommodation providers.

The Scam: A Two-Pronged Attack

This elaborate scam begins with the scammer posing as a genuine customer and targeting a hotel. They may claim to need assistance with downloading 'important' information related to their upcoming stay. For instance, they might say they suffer from allergies to certain cleaning products and need the hotel to cross-reference the substances used. Alternatively, they could request a map they've created to be printed off for their technologically-challenged parents.

Regardless of the excuse, the endgame remains the same. Once the hotel employee downloads the malware-infected documents, the scammer gains full access to their sensitive information. This includes login credentials, financial details, and contact information for their other customers.

View attachment 33990
Beware of scammers! If in doubt, ask for help! Image: Freepik.

The second part of the scam involves the scammer sending a convincing message via a fake booking link to the hotel’s future guests, asking for additional credit card verification. The message appears to come from the hotel, making it seem legitimate and trustworthy.

The Dangers of Falling for the Scam

The sophistication of this scam is alarming, and even the most scam-savvy consumers could potentially fall victim to it. Handing over credit card details in response to these messages could lead to significant financial loss and a ruined holiday.

How to Protect Yourself

While this scam is indeed sophisticated, consumers can protect themselves by following WA ScamNet’s advice against malware and phishing. This includes:
  • Avoid clicking on unexpected or unsolicited links, even from trusted businesses. Instead, contact the company directly at an official email address or phone number to confirm the message's authenticity. Do not rely on contact details provided in an unexpected message.
  • Be suspicious of messages encouraging you to act quickly and never enter personal or banking details into any website unless you are certain it is genuine. Check the URL carefully for indicators of deception.
  • If you have provided your financial information through a suspicious link or in response to an unexpected message, contact your financial institution immediately and follow their guidance on securing your finances.

Essentially, it's important to remember that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. You should also be aware of the symptoms that a company or any website dealing with personal information has been compromised.

Key Takeaways

• Consumer Protection's WA ScamNet team has issued a warning about a sophisticated scam that targets travellers and accommodation providers.
  • The scam begins with hackers posing as genuine customers who manipulate hotel employees into downloading malware-infected documents, which give scammers access to sensitive information.
  • The scammers then send fake booking links to future guests of the hotel asking for additional credit card verification.
  • People are advised to avoid clicking on unexpected links, to contact the company directly to confirm any requests, and to report any suspicious activity to their financial institution and WA ScamNet.

If you're a victim of this scam or any other suspicious website or online venture in general, it's always wise to call your local police or the Australian Cyber Security Centre with a hotline number 1300 CYBER1 (1300 292 371) to report the crime. You could also visit the National Anti-Scam Centre’s ScamWatch or the Australian Signals Directorate to reach for help. If you think your credit card details have been leaked, you should also contact your bank and be sure to check your accounts regularly for any unexpected activity or payments.

We also encourage our members to post about any scams they have come across on our Scam Watch forum. This way, our whole community can stay on top of the current scams circulating.

Finally, no matter how savvy you think you are when it comes to avoiding scams, never underestimate the skill and craftiness of scammers. Keep your guard up and be extra cautious, especially when it comes to travel and accommodation bookings! Always be vigilant, members! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
This truly is becoming monotonous!
As I have said on many many many occasions now, it is only a scam if you are stupid enough to fall for it and click the link and hand over your details!
It is so damn simple!
If you receive one of the messages DO NOT RESPOND simply pick up the phone and contact the provider direct!
If you fall for any of these scams you are a BLOODY IDIOT and deserve to lose every $$ you have.

As I have said on many many many occasions now, it is only a scam if you are stupid enough to fall for it and click the link and hand over your details!
It is so damn simple!
If you receive one of the messages DO NOT RESPOND simply pick up the phone and contact the provider direct!
If you fall for any of these scams you are a BLOODY IDIOT and deserve to lose every $$ you have.
Boy oh boy you’re so arrogant. I hope you never get scammed via a SMS/email by a friend who you are regularly in contact thinking it’s he/she asking for info. This happened to me and I was scammed.
The scammers email carried on the conversation as if it was my friend. Did not notice any difference in the emails. Best is to phone before giving advice via email/SMS

Boy oh boy you’re so arrogant. I hope you never get scammed via a SMS/email by a friend who you are regularly in contact thinking it’s he/she asking for info. This happened to me and I was scammed.
The scammers email carried on the conversation as if it was my friend. Did not notice any difference in the emails. Best is to phone before giving advice via email/SMS
Well it’s that arrogance that will save me from any scam.
Even if it’s a “friend” I will not click on a link before checking with that “friend“!
If you are stupid enough to click on ANY link and passing on details without first checking then more fool you!

Reactions: LynS and Leenie
It is so damn simple!

It is so damn simple!
It's really sad that you show your stupidity by your very own comments...clearly your mind does not go beyond your own narrow mindedness, nor does your heart extend empathy...you may very well be scam savvy, but others may not, especially elder people...if you choose to think the way you do, & it's your choice to do so & I feel very sorry for your cold hearted soul, then perhaps it would be wise for you to keep unkind words to yourself...there is more encouragement on this platform than negative comments, so I would encourage anyone who has fallen victim to a scam, to bypass useless comments like this person has said, & look for comments that might just give helpful advice on how to avert the possibility of falling for a scam in the future...as for the person who clearly gave her unwanted & unhelpful advice, it might serve you well to find a part of your spirit that may be kinder than your words show you to be...if you can't, or won't, & again it's your choice, then remember, people matter & thankfully there are abundant people out there who think so...so to the person this scam happened to, simply ignore unhelpful BLOODY comments & focus on educating yourself about scams, so you can be helpful to others...happy days...😊

It's really sad that you show your stupidity by your very own comments...clearly your mind does not go beyond your own narrow mindedness, nor does your heart extend empathy...you may very well be scam savvy, but others may not, especially elder people...if you choose to think the way you do, & it's your choice to do so & I feel very sorry for your cold hearted soul, then perhaps it would be wise for you to keep unkind words to yourself...there is more encouragement on this platform than negative comments, so I would encourage anyone who has fallen victim to a scam, to bypass useless comments like this person has said, & look for comments that might just give helpful advice on how to avert the possibility of falling for a scam in the future...as for the person who clearly gave her unwanted & unhelpful advice, it might serve you well to find a part of your spirit that may be kinder than your words show you to be...if you can't, or won't, & again it's your choice, then remember, people matter & thankfully there are abundant people out there who think so...so to the person this scam happened to, simply ignore unhelpful BLOODY comments & focus on educating yourself about scams, so you can be helpful to others...happy days...😊
Stop using old age as an excuse.
I am 71 years old and I have taken the advice that is on every news service nearly every night of the week.
If it wasn’t for stupid people who are willing to click on links and hand over details there would be no scams!
But people continue to happily hand over personal info to unknown people then they cry and demand the banks pay them back.
It’s not hard to pick up the phone and enquire directly with the “provider”.
If you don’t know who the provider is simply delete the email / message!
How many times do people have to be told / warned about these scammers but continue to click and be scammed?

Stop using old age as an excuse.
I am 71 years old and I have taken the advice that is on every news service nearly every night of the week.
If it wasn’t for stupid people who are willing to click on links and hand over details there would be no scams!
But people continue to happily hand over personal info to unknown people then they cry and demand the banks pay them back.
It’s not hard to pick up the phone and enquire directly with the “provider”.
If you don’t know who the provider is simply delete the email / message!
How many times do people have to be told / warned about these scammers but continue to click and be scammed?
You're 71???...pardon my ignorance to think you were, to use your words, a "stupid idiot" in your 20's...perhaps your intellect didn't develop round 25 as medically it's been proven to, however, your comments did not specify an age group...no, I think this has nothing to do with age, it has to do with being, solely & souly, a decent & understanding person...be the latter two, regardless of age...

You're 71???...pardon my ignorance to think you were, to use your words, a "stupid idiot" in your 20's...perhaps your intellect didn't develop round 25 as medically it's been proven to, however, your comments did not specify an age group...no, I think this has nothing to do with age, it has to do with being, solely & souly, a decent & understanding person...be the latter two, regardless of age...
Firstly you know nothing about me.
I am an extremely decent person with understanding and empathy I am just sick and tired of people falling for these scams then crying and demanding the banks repay them for their stupidity!
Secondly, you are the one who mentioned aged and now you age has nothing to do with it.
Make up your mind.

Even if it’s a “friend” I will not click on a link before checking with that “friend“!
If you are stupid enough to click on ANY link and passing on details without first checking then more fool you!
Remember this is a forum and members have aright to have their say , we may not always agree. But have the right to have an opinion, so stop being so judgemental, and go. With the flow.

Reactions: Tervueren
Remember this is a forum and members have aright to have their say , we may not always agree. But have the right to have an opinion, so stop being so judgemental, and go. With the flow.
Exactly , and I have the same right to express my opinion!

It is so damn simple!
Yes, my sentiments exactly!!

It is so damn simple!
Don’t like your attitude, I have just been scammed by this type of scam. I checked everything and the message I received was and st
It is so damn simple!
i don’t like your attitude, I am extremely careful about scams. I received an email and the message I received was and still is on my booking.com account. By the time I realised it was a scam it was too late and I have now had to cancel my credit card. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I was confident I had done all the right things. Nobody deserves to loose their money shame on you for suggesting that

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and Tervueren
It is so damn simple!
Yes I agree to a point, but please try to remember, the aged people cannot always grasp onto new technology. Some months ago it almost happened to me, they claimed to be from E-Bay and were asking me all sorts of things, then after 3 hours he asked me to wait one min, I told him after 3 hours he only has 10 mins and I will disengage when he returned he requested identification details, it was then I realised what was going on and disengaged. The bloody arse hole was cheeky enough to call the next day but I immediately disengaged. I no longer take calls if they come on the mobile and am wary of calls on the landline.

Hi there, did you know your phone number is visible in your reply? Perhaps you may want to change what is displayed.

Wow, the story is about an unknown person as an example and warning, not someone in this community. So instead of literally blasting readers here, why not excercise some civility and restraint if you must comment.

Fyi I had my bank account hacked, discovered it yesterday afternoon, and proceeded to take immediate action. I received the money back from my bank this morning for a fraudulent Afterpay repayment. It was a larger amount not consistent with ANY purchases I have made.

I check my bank statements etc and exercise due diligence weekly with anything financial. My days of being a forensic accountant stay with me!
Of course I notified the Bank, had Afterpay check it out also...and yes it was a fraudulent payment done to God knows where! My banks security is onto it, card cancelled etc. I did nothing wrong at all.

Of course we may not agree, we are supposed to be civilised adults who can converse, debate without unwarranted judgements, vitriol, ad hominems etc.
My situation did not involve clicking of ANY links etc..I was purely and simply hacked.
Even Bank security told me it wasn't anything to do with me, it just happens. The person who worked in security told me she was done last week, and this Afterpay repayment fraud has been happening recently also to others in Australia.

There's enough awful shiz, nastiness going on in this twisted world right now, unnecessary judgements, belittling of others is not ok!

Don’t like your attitude, I have just been scammed by this type of scam. I checked everything and the message I received was and st

i don’t like your attitude, I am extremely careful about scams. I received an email and the message I received was and still is on my booking.com account. By the time I realised it was a scam it was too late and I have now had to cancel my credit card. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I was confident I had done all the right things. Nobody deserves to loose their money shame on you for suggesting that

Yes I agree to a point, but please try to remember, the aged people cannot always grasp onto new technology. Some months ago it almost happened to me, they claimed to be from E-Bay and were asking me all sorts of things, then after 3 hours he asked me to wait one min, I told him after 3 hours he only has 10 mins and I will disengage when he returned he requested identification details, it was then I realised what was going on and disengaged. The bloody arse hole was cheeky enough to call the next day but I immediately disengaged. I no longer take calls if they come on the mobile and am wary of calls on the landline.
Why would you engage with someone you don't know for three hours? If that doesn't raise a red flag, then nothing will. As for aged people not grasping new technology, if they don't understand it then they don't use it. If they use it then they should understand the implications of a scam!! By the way I am in my late seventies and have never been taken in by a scammer.

Reactions: Leenie

Did you contact the provider Booking.com (verbally) to check the authenticity!
I bet not. You deserve to be scammed!

What are you stating as Old?
I am 71 and people much younger than me are fallingfor these scams!

Reactions: Leenie