Discover these budget-saving Christmas tips that won’t make you a grinch!

We’re almost at the season when the joy of gift-giving is balanced by budget worries. It can be seriously pricey – even for those of us who are well aware of our current financial situation.

Luckily, Téa Angelos, CEO of Smart Women Society, shared what you need to know to make your budget survive Christmas!

First things first – work out a Christmas budget that won’t leave you in financial peril. Make a list of all the events you have and estimate how much money each will cost. That’ll help you set a total budget for gifts, food and drink, new outfits, transport and accommodation – plus a buffer for unforeseen expenses.

lady-with-laptop-near-plastic-card-gift-boxes_23-2147973969.jpg
Tired of squeezing a tight budget for Christmas? We got you covered! Image: Freepik.

Second, you need to decide who you’re buying for – and how much you’re willing to spend on each person. Once you have this list, it’s time to get creative with your spending. Instead of getting stuck for hours trying to work out the perfect present, why not give an experience such as babysitting or gardening instead?

If something homemade is the way to go, there are hundreds of crafty, cost-effective ideas on Pinterest. Some of them are really easy to make – and a much more personal gift than something store-bought.

It’s also beneficial to be honest with family or friends if you’re struggling to afford anything this year. If you approach it with sensitivity, there’s no need to get embarrassed. You can say something like, 'I wanted to let you know that I am not in the financial position to exchange gifts this Christmas. I hope you understand, and I hope we can still enjoy the holidays and spend quality time together.'

For all you shoppers out there, remember to take advantage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. There are some incredible sales and discounts to be had – if you’re prepared to put in some research. Make sure you compare shipping and delivery times, along with returns policies.

top-view-woman-seated-sofawith-laptop-coffee-surrounded-by-numerous-gift-boxes_1098-18597.jpg
You can also offer services as a gift or create a do-it-yourself craft for Christmas! Image: Freepik.

On top of that, cashback websites like Cashrewards and ShopBack can give you a bit extra when you shop online. All you need to do is find the store you want to shop at on the platform’s website, click through, and shop as usual, and your purchase could be eligible for cashback. You can read more about cashback websites here.

Key Takeaways
  • To survive Christmas on a tight budget, it's recommended to determine your total budget before shopping to ensure you won't incur debt or compromise financial stability. This budget should include gifts, food, drink, new outfits, and transport costs.
  • Getting creative with gifts, such as offering experiences or homemade items, can be more meaningful and cost-effective.
  • It's important to communicate openly with loved ones about any financial struggles, which will help foster understanding and prevent overspending or going into debt.
  • Utilising sales events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, seeking out discount codes, and using cashback websites can help save extra money during the holiday season. It's also suggested to establish a dedicated Christmas savings account at the start of the year and to automate transfers with each paycheck.

Finally, why not consider the old-fashioned gift exchange – popularly referred to as ‘Secret Santa’? All you do is have each person draw a name from a hat and buy a gift for their chosen recipient. You can also set a price limit – to make sure the gifts are relatively equal and keep spending in check.

You might also want to read this budgeting plan to relieve you from Christmas stress. Let us know of any of your genius money-saving tips in the comments!

Sponsored
Now all the grandchildren are no longer children, Ma and Pa don't run the gift gauntlet any more.
I start building up 2 hampers from mid October. First I buy a box or bag, esky, or tote or whatever is functional and fill them with male/female suitable small gifts and gift cards that can be utilised by each household.
Right now I am only 1 gift away from Xmas shopping being done.
We leave it up to the 2 families to divide the gifts between them.
Also, at our age we don't need more stuff, so, ask that no gifts be bought for us. We are happy to have breakfast at one house and dinner at another, with a nanna nap in between.
Figuring out what to buy for people can do your head in, whist trying to stick to a budget.
I'm so happy to have found my easy fix.

Reactions: marni and DLHM