Discover the surprising daily habit that can fight against memory loss!

At Seniors Discount Club, we love sharing tips and tricks that our members can try to improve their health and well-being. We recently came across a fascinating study suggesting that a simple daily habit could help to maintain mental sharpness and stave off memory loss: napping!

shutterstock_2130084101.jpg
A quick nap could be the answer to your problems! Image source: Shutterstock.

For those of you enjoying the golden years, you may have noticed occasional 'senior moments' or memory slips. These can be a normal part of the ageing process, but there is now evidence that catching a few zzz's during the day might aid in keeping our minds sharper for longer.

The study, carried out by researchers at University College London, discovered that regular nappers may have a larger brain volume, meaning their brains may shrink less over time. Astonishingly, habitual nappers could have a brain 2.6 to 6.5 years younger on average than those who don't take regular naps!

According to the research, the brain diminishes by approximately 0.2 to 0.5% per year from the age of 35. After the age of 60, the rate of brain shrinkage increases even more, leading to issues such as cognitive impairment and dementia. The study found that among 35,080 participants in the UK, people with a predisposition for napping had larger brain volumes and potentially slower brain shrinkage.

Dr Victoria Garfield, the senior author of the study, said, 'Our findings suggest that, for some people, short daytime naps may be a part of the puzzle that could help preserve the health of the brain as we get older.' Additionally, she expressed her hope that studies like these would help to reduce the stigma that might still exist around daytime napping.

It's important to note that the study didn't find that regular nappers performed better in visual memory tests or had faster mental abilities. However, their larger brain volume could be attributed to the naps allowing them to catch up on vital sleep. As we know, sleep is crucial for protecting and maintaining the brain's health as we age.

The participants in this study ranged from 40 to 69 years old, and the research used genetic information to determine their predisposition for napping. People with 92 specific genetic differences were identified as regular nappers, and their brain size was compared accordingly.

Now, if you’re reading this and are thinking, maybe I need to take more naps? Then here are some tips for taking effective naps:
1. Find a quiet, comfortable location where you can truly relax.
2. Set an alarm to wake you up after 15 to 30 minutes, you can nap for longer if you need, but do your best not to sleep for too long and disrupt your night-time sleep.
3. Consider using a sleep mask to block out light and help you drift off more easily.

Aside from potentially maintaining mental sharpness, napping offers various other benefits for seniors, such as:
1. Reducing stress, which can have a significant impact on overall health.
2. Improving mood by giving your brain a brief rest.
3. Increasing alertness, allowing for better focus and performance.
4. There is some evidence to suggest a connection between napping and a reduced risk of heart disease, although further studies are needed.

Key Takeaways
  • Napping during the day may help older people maintain mental sharpness and reduce brain shrinkage.
  • A study suggests that regular nappers could have a brain 2.6 to 6.5 years younger on average compared to non-nappers.
  • More than a quarter of people over 65 and almost 14% of adults aged 16 to 64 nap during the day.
  • The benefits of a brief nap, lasting only five to 15 minutes, can reportedly last up to three hours.

If napping isn’t your thigh then there are various other activities and habits you can incorporate into your daily routine to maintain mental sharpness:
1. Engage in brain exercises, such as puzzles or learning a new skill.
2. Stay socially active, which encourages cognitive stimulation.
3. Stick to a healthy diet, including brain-boosting foods like nuts, berries, and fish.
4. Get regular physical exercise, which promotes overall well-being.

So, members, why not try incorporating a short nap into your daily routine? There's no harm in giving it a try, and you might just do your brain a favour. Remember to aim for brief daytime snoozes to maximise the cognitive benefits!

As always, it's essential to consult with your healthcare professional before making significant changes to your daily habits, in this case, if napping significantly alters your nighttime sleep routine it might be best to avoid it.

What do you think of this study members? Are you a napper? Or do you hate napping? Tell us all about it in the comments below!

Reactions: terri, janj and RTS
Sponsored
I have a regular 20-30 minute nap EVERY day. Have a little trouble getting to sleep quickly at night if the afternoon nap is too late in the day but I still get about 7 hours at night with a toilet break (sometimes two!) during the night.

I have the occasional Nanna nap if I have had a particularly restless night.
Don't mind it, but once I get down for the count, especially in winter, it can be difficult to motivate myself to move my bottom. Eventually, move it I do.
Still nice to find those moments to snooze and just be blissfully separated from the usual chores.

sounds good and I do have naps at times but I must add that it is just not the aged who need more memory and brain power as I have noticed memory fail of 25 to 50 year olds and even the boy next door of 11 I say is this more prevalent since COVID and the lockdowns as I believe everyone’s mental health has been effected by this .