Discover the secret to snagging Australia's most elusive biscuit

Australia is a country known for its unique flora and fauna, bright sandy beaches, and warm, welcoming culture.

It is also the home of an elusive treasure—a deliciously crunchy, honey-flavoured treat that has been tantalising Aussies since the 1930s.

Despite being heralded as one of Australia's most popular biscuits, Arnott's Yo-Yo biscuits have remained surprisingly hard to come by, especially if you're living outside of South Australia.

Uncovering the story behind this elusive biscuit takes us back to the streets of Adelaide during the tumble and turmoil of the early 20th century.

SDC 2.png
Arnott’s Yo-Yo biscuits are mostly found in South Australian stores. Image source: Woolworths.

Originating from the creative minds at Adelaide bakery, grocery and confectionery company W. Menz and Co., these biscuits were born in 1932.

Its name was a clever nod to the popular pastime toy of that era, the yo-yos.

Coming into the possession of Arnott's in the early 1960s after the famous biscuit brand purchased W. Menz and Co.'s biscuit division, the Yo-Yos have sold under Arnott's brand ever since.

A brief hiccup in 1997 saw the Yo-Yos removed from the market to maintain 'national uniformity', but not for long—enthusiasts clamoured for their return, and Arnott's obliged, albeit only within South Australia.

A significant 95 per cent of the Yo-Yos produced find their way onto South Australian shelves, with the remaining 5 per cent scattered haphazardly across the country in specialty stores, IGAs, and border towns.

This scarcity beyond South Australia has stoked the fires of demand, with many biscuit fans bemoaning their inability to find these crunchy delights in their local stores.

'Bring them to Queensland. We had them for a very short time, the best biscuit on the planet,' one wrote.

'Wait. What now? These are only in SA? Colleagues must think I am madder than usual when I sing that jingle,' another replied.

'Love Yo-Yos. I have to rely on family bringing them to Queensland for me,' a third commented.

The good news, however, is that these treasured biscuits have been occasionally sighted outside South Australia.

A few astute shoppers have reported spotting Yo-Yos in Western Australian IGAs and even some Woolworths outlets in New South Wales and Melbourne.

'My favourites as a kid, saw them once in Woolies in NSW,' one user recalled.

'I see these in stores in Darwin all the time,' another added.

While a third shared: 'Have bought them in Melbourne in Woolworths.'
Key Takeaways
  • Arnott's Yo-Yo biscuits have been an iconic South Australian treat since the 1930s, but they are largely unavailable in other parts of Australia.
  • After being briefly taken off the market in 1997, Arnott's reinstated Yo-Yo biscuits due to demand from South Australians, and they remain a fond part of their local heritage.
  • 95 per cent of Yo-Yo biscuit production is allocated to South Australia, with the remaining 5 per cent being distributed to select specialty stores, IGAs, and towns near state borders.
  • Despite being a South Australian staple, consumers from other states have occasionally found Yo-Yo biscuits in their local supermarkets and recall them with nostalgic affection.
Have you ever tasted Arnott's' Yo-Yo biscuits? Have you spotted them in your local store? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
My IGA in mid north of S.A. has the shelf packed with them…
As children we would have these after school…I always had the ones with the wreath pattern all around the edge, my oldest brother had the ones with the lines running up and down and my youngest brother had the spiky edge one… worked for us, no arguments when yours were all gone!!
Arnott’s my biggest wish is that you please bring back Bush Biscuits permanently

Reactions: Davmes and Gsr
My IGA in mid north of S.A. has the shelf packed with them…
As children we would have these after school…I always had the ones with the wreath pattern all around the edge, my oldest brother had the ones with the lines running up and down and my youngest brother had the spiky edge one… worked for us, no arguments when yours were all gone!!
Arnott’s my biggest wish is that you please bring back Bush Biscuits permanently
Oh my dearest friend! I say bring back Iced Vo-Vos and Brockoff's Chicken Flakes! 😛

I would love to have honey snaps brought back. I used to make a sherrycake using them. Nothing rl

Reactions: Davmes
Re honey snaps. Nothing else tastes the same. Also there used to be a biscuit called I believe Golden Puffs. I think Peak Freans made them. they were flaky like puff pastry. We put sliced peaches and cream on them. Yum. !

Never seen or heard of them before - but then QLD is so backwards with what the supermarkets stock the shelves with. Always have been.

When I saw the headlines with Australian favourite biscuits , I was sure it would have been some kind of Tim Tams .
Never heard of Yo-Yo ‘s and not keen on Vo Vo’s . Too sweet for my likening . Rather make my own bikkies with natural ingredients.

Yes, remember Yo-Yo biscuits as a lad. Enjoyed them all the time. Haven't seen them in W.A. for a long time & now l know why. I need to travel to SOUTH AUSTRALIA to buy a packet or two or five.