Discover the secret to living longer with simple tricks to improve your sleep!

There's no denying it – sleep is crucial for our health and well-being. A well-rested mind and body can perform better and live longer than a sleep-deprived one. But did you know that getting a good night's sleep can lead to a 40% lower chance of early death?

You read that right! Researchers at Harvard Medical School found that participants in a recent study who maintained a consistent and healthy sleep schedule had a significantly reduced risk of early death. This means getting between seven to nine hours of sleep regularly, in line with national recommendations.

shutterstock_1987462004 (1).jpg
Getting a good night’s sleep is more important than ever. Credit: Shutterstock

As Joon Chung, the study's lead researcher, explained in a press release: 'Results suggest [the] benefits of expanding the public conversation on getting ‘a good night’s sleep’ and broadening this goal to getting many good nights of sleep, in a row, on weekdays and weekends.'

The findings were presented at the Associated Professional Sleep Societies' meeting held in Indiana. It's especially relevant considering that a third of the US population suffers from sleep deprivation, with less than seven hours of sleep a night. Of course, this could easily translate across the globe to us Aussies, too.

Inadequate sleep is no laughing matter – it's been consistently linked to chronic health problems like heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, obesity, and even depression.

To draw these conclusions, the research team used data from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA), sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). They evaluated a total of 1,750 participants over a median follow-up of seven years, measuring their sleep patterns with wrist actigraphy devices.

As it turned out, around 1,015 participants were categorised as 'regular-optimal' sleepers. On the other hand, 744 were considered 'irregular-insufficient' sleepers, with 176 people passing away during the follow-up period.

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends maintaining a consistent bedtime and wake time – yes, even on weekends – to promote better sleep, and we couldn't agree more! As Joon Chung puts it: 'Getting adequate, regular sleep seems to be something that is good for all. I don't know of anyone who wouldn't benefit.'

Now, you must be wondering how to actually improve your sleep. Well, let us share some tips and tricks to ensure those much-needed Zs:

1. Stick to a sleep schedule. As mentioned earlier, going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at the same time every morning (even on weekends) helps regulate your internal clock and improves sleep quality.

2. Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Reading, having a warm bath, or listening to calming music before sleep can enhance sleep readiness.

3. Make your bedroom sleep-friendly. Keep the room cool, dark, and quiet, and invest in a comfortable mattress and pillows. A clutter-free, relaxing environment helps promote better sleep.

4. Limit screen time. Avoid using electronic devices like laptops and mobile phones at least an hour before bed, as their light can interfere with your natural sleep cycle and make it harder to fall asleep.

5. Watch your diet. Limit caffeine and alcohol consumption, as well as heavy or spicy meals close to bedtime, as they can disrupt your rest.

shutterstock_777145744 (1).jpg
A regular bedtime routine can improve your sleep. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Before we jump into some extra tips and resources, let's debunk some common sleep myths and misconceptions:

- Myth: Napping during the day will disrupt your nighttime sleep.

Truth: Short naps of 20-30 minutes can actually improve daytime alertness without affecting your night's sleep.

- Myth: Getting just one hour less of sleep per night won't affect your daytime performance.

Truth: Even a slight lack of sleep can impact your cognitive function and overall well-being.

Now, let's dive into some sleep-promoting products and practices:

1. White noise machines: These devices help block out external sounds, creating a quiet, soothing environment for sleep.

2. Weighted blankets: These heavy blankets provide gentle, calming pressure, similar to a comforting hug, helping to promote relaxation and easier sleep.

3. Sleep-enhancing supplements: Melatonin and valerian root are two examples of natural sleep aids that may help improve sleep quality. Always consult your doctor before trying any new supplements.

Key Takeaways
  • A recent study by researchers at Harvard Medical School found that maintaining a regular and healthy sleep schedule can lead to a 40% lower risk of early death.
  • The findings are crucial because about 34% of US adults are sleep-deprived, getting less than the recommended seven hours of sleep per night.
  • Chronic health problems such as heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, obesity, and depression are linked to a lack of sleep.
  • To improve sleep quality, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends going to bed and waking up at the same time daily, even on weekends.

We know many members may face unique challenges when obtaining quality sleep. Age-related health issues, medications, and reduced physical activity can all impact the ability to rest well. Acknowledging these obstacles and working with your healthcare professional to address them can help set you on the path to better sleep.

Finally, we would love to hear your experiences and tips related to sleep - whether it be challenges specific to seniors, personal success stories, or just some friendly advice. Share your thoughts with the Seniors Discount Club community, and let's continue learning from one another.

So, Seniors Discount Club members, if you want to live a longer and healthier life, remember that the key lies in simply catching those all-important Zs. Happy snoozing!

Sponsored
I tested a weighted blanket after getting out of the bag, and once it was on, I couldn't get it off. Panic. Returned it within the hour. Just use blankets.
As for melatonin and valerian- was on mega doses prescribed at different times, and it did nothing for me.
My room is cool and dark and uncluttered. and all devices off an hour before bed and nothing to eat after 7-8pm, and don't drink caffeine products.

I tried a weighted blanket and for several years it worked pretty well but for some reason this year I am finding it too heavy. We have early dinner, no alcohol, one coffee in the morning, go to bed at the same time every night, dark bedroom, no screens etc but sleep patterns very erratic. I find it very annoying. Try various things on youtube that work for a few nights then don't. It is like you have to vary these aids to get successful sleeps. All I want is to sleep 7 to 8 hours through the night, it should not be so hard but it seems most people struggle to do so!

Tried every natural sleep tablet/drink/herb etc and nothing works!!!! Struggle every night - aaaaagh!

I tested a weighted blanket after getting out of the bag, and once it was on, I couldn't get it off. Panic. Returned it within the hour. Just use blankets.
As for melatonin and valerian- was on mega doses prescribed at different times, and it did nothing for me.
My room is cool and dark and uncluttered. and all devices off an hour before bed and nothing to eat after 7-8pm, and don't drink caffeine products.
I too tried a weighted blanket and found it restricting and uncomfortable. I've tried all the things you have jennylolo and nothing works.I take about 1.5 has to fall asleep and then wake around 4 times a night for 30 - 40 mins. Quiet country town no noise or lights noreason to wake just do. This not sleeping is a bugger really.

I too tried a weighted blanket and found it restricting and uncomfortable. I've tried all the things you have jennylolo and nothing works.I take about 1.5 has to fall asleep and then wake around 4 times a night for 30 - 40 mins. Quiet country town no noise or lights noreason to wake just do. This not sleeping is a bugger really.
I average 1 1/2hr -2 hr cycles. Up 3-4x a night. I was on 20gm melatonin which is better heavy duty and only able to get 2gm form chemist = too expensive if I can't get from naturopath. Poor sleep hampers health in so many ways.