Discover the secret to getting groceries at Woolworths for FREE!

As supermarket prices continue to rise and our wallets become increasingly stretched, we’re all looking for tricks to help us save a few dollars at the checkout.

One Woolworths shopper has discovered the ultimate bargain–free groceries!

As they proudly shared on social media, this savvy shopper stumbled across a little-known setting that could have your cupboards bursting with free groceries.

'Just found this little gem tonight in the “manage preferences” part of my account,' they wrote alongside a screenshot of the Woolies website.

'Never knew it existed. Wishing I knew sooner.'

photo (5).jpg
A feature on the Woolworths website can easily score shoppers free samples. Image source: Facebook (left), Shutterstock (right).

The setting is hiding beneath the option to substitute unavailable items, and when ticked, it reads: 'Sample (A whole lot of great food to try. Free!) Would you like to receive free samples from time to time?'

This news was music to the ears of countless Woolies customers, who were only too eager to share stories of their good fortune. 'I must have got free samples today,' one wrote. 'Got a box of chocolates and some cuddly fabric softener that I didn't order.'

'Maybe why I got blueberries yesterday,' another responded, while a third said, 'I have gotten stuff before. Mostly when my daughter was young, and I was buying nappies and formula etc. I'd get baby food samples and kid's vitamins.'

However, not all Woolies customers have been so lucky. There were countless shoppers who ticked the box, ready to receive these glorious freebies, though sadly never received any.

'I've always had it. Never ever had a sample,' one shopper complained.

'Mine is ticked “yes” for free samples. However, I shop weekly and have never received one sample,' another user said.

It also seemed the type of sample and the frequency of their delivery could vary depending on the store they shopped at.

'I think it depends on the store. We went on holiday to Townsville for three weeks and in that time got free milk and nappies yet get nothing when home in Victoria,' said one customer.

Even Woolworths’ staff were sceptical about the concept, suggesting that the free sample program is possibly a myth.

'I don't think this setting does anything,' a current employee said. 'If so, the workers don't know about it. There are never samples to give.'

Woolworths have yet to comment on the matter. Though enabling this feature on your settings now would be worth a try!

The Role of Free Samples

It might seem a little counter-intuitive to provide free samples, but giving away products for free is all about making good old-fashioned profit.

Promotional samples are integral to many successful retail strategies. They're a time-honoured marketing technique that encourages product trial and potentially allows the supermarket to introduce new products to its customers.

A free sample could end up being a gateway to full-size product purchases down the line and helps to foster consumer loyalty.

Sampling also gives supermarkets a chance to track customer behaviour and preferences. By studying how various samples are received by different demographics, they can fine-tune their product offerings to better cater to customer demand.

Key Takeaways

• A setting on the Woolworths website allows customers to opt-in to receive free samples while shopping.
  • Some customers have reported receiving unexpected free items, while others, despite having the option enabled, have not received any free samples.
  • Doubt exists among Woolworths employees about the functionality of the free sample program, with some saying they've never been supplied with samples to give out.
Let us know when you receive your freebies in the comments below! Happy shopping, dear members!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
This sounds good but not sure it's available everywhere.
I'm in Sydney and just did a woolworths on line shop and double checked and this feature wasn't available at my checkout
Screenshot_20230828_070624_Gallery.jpg

As supermarket prices continue to rise and our wallets become increasingly stretched, we’re all looking for tricks to help us save a few dollars at the checkout.

As they proudly shared on social media, this savvy shopper stumbled across a little-known setting that could have your cupboards bursting with free groceries.

'Just found this little gem tonight in the “manage preferences” part of my account,' they wrote alongside a screenshot of the Woolies website.

View attachment 28139
A feature on the Woolworths website can easily score shoppers free samples. Image source: Facebook (left), Shutterstock (right).

The setting is hiding beneath the option to substitute unavailable items, and when ticked, it reads: 'Sample (A whole lot of great food to try. Free!) Would you like to receive free samples from time to time?'

This news was music to the ears of countless Woolies customers, who were only too eager to share stories of their good fortune. 'I must have got free samples today,' one wrote. 'Got a box of chocolates and some cuddly fabric softener that I didn't order.'

'Maybe why I got blueberries yesterday,' another responded, while a third said, 'I have gotten stuff before. Mostly when my daughter was young, and I was buying nappies and formula etc. I'd get baby food samples and kid's vitamins.'

However, not all Woolies customers have been so lucky. There were countless shoppers who ticked the box, ready to receive these glorious freebies, though sadly never received any.

'Mine is ticked “yes” for free samples. However, I shop weekly and have never received one sample,' another user said.

It also seemed the type of sample and the frequency of their delivery could vary depending on the store they shopped at.

'I think it depends on the store. We went on holiday to Townsville for three weeks and in that time got free milk and nappies yet get nothing when home in Victoria,' said one customer.

Even Woolworths’ staff were sceptical about the concept, suggesting that the free sample program is possibly a myth.

'I don't think this setting does anything,' a current employee said. 'If so, the workers don't know about it. There are never samples to give.'

Woolworths have yet to comment on the matter. Though enabling this feature on your settings now would be worth a try!

The Role of Free Sample

It might seem a little counter-intuitive to provide free samples, but giving away products for free is all about making good old-fashioned profit.

Promotional samples are integral to many successful retail strategies. They're a time-honoured marketing technique that encourages product trial and potentially allows the supermarket to introduce new products to its customers.

A free sample could end up being a gateway to full-size product purchases down the line and helps to foster consumer loyalty.

Sampling also gives supermarkets a chance to track customer behaviour and preferences. By studying how various samples are received by different demographics, they can fine-tune their product offerings to better cater to customer demand.

Key Takeaways

• A setting on the Woolworths website allows customers to opt-in to receive free samples while shopping.
  • Some customers have reported receiving unexpected free items, while others, despite having the option enabled, have not received any free samples.
  • Doubt exists among Woolworths employees about the functionality of the free sample program, with some saying they've never been supplied with samples to give out.
Let us know when you receive your freebies in the comments below! Happy shopping, dear members!
Does this only happen to online customer?

Reactions: Linwar and Ashmenou

View attachment 28139

The Role of Free Sample

Key Takeaways

Am waiting patiently. Will definitely let you know.

View attachment 28139

The Role of Free Sample

Key Takeaways

View attachment 28139

The Role of Free Sample

Key Takeaways

I wouldn't even try as I don't like online shopping.

Reactions: Marj53 and Petra
They are copying Coles: except one had to click on a link in an email. Alas, the items were often no longer available. Coles did not do this often though.

I don't know about woollies,but I am just a regular shopper at Coles with regular flybuys card and have received on at least 6 different instances an offer of a free full sized item and all I had to do was activate the offer.From large boxes of Robert Timms coffee boxes to baby food,dog treats,last one was for poise panty liners for incontinence or regular use,I always pick them up as they are free no strings attached.Funnily no one I know ever has so go figure?

I don't know about woollies,but I am just a regular shopper at Coles with regular flybuys card and have received on at least 6 different instances an offer of a free full sized item and all I had to do was activate the offer.From large boxes of Robert Timms coffee boxes to baby food,dog treats,last one was for poise panty liners for incontinence or regular use,I always pick them up as they are free no strings attached.Funnily no one I know ever has so go figure?
I have on occasion scored a free item at Coles. As you stated you need to activate the offer on the flybuys app, mine comes on my iPad from flybuys. Then all I have to do is remember to pick up the item when shopping. Once all items are scanned the price of the free offer is deducted on your receipt before you pay.

View attachment 28139

The Role of Free Sample

Key Takeaways

You never said exactly where this is. I have been searching for Manage preferences for an hour and I cannot find it????? Can someone explain the exact route taken to get to Manage Preferences. Is it in the app or on the website. Do you have to place an order to get to this menu???? Please be exact.
I searched for ages to with no luck as well,,,,came back here to ask and saw it was for online shopping

Reactions: Linwar
I have been offered freebies twice but have to go to store to collect them. I shop on line and wonder why the freebies cannot be delivered with my shopping. Not everyone is able to go to a store.
Not everyone shops online either, some like to see what they are buying rather than having the same product all the time.

Reactions: Anoush
I shop in store and got free items several times - my favourite was when I was approached by a staff member and was given a beautiful bunch of flowers which was very convenient for my neighbour's birthday :)

Reactions: Anoush