Discover the secret of shopping at Costco in Australia without a $60 membership!

At the Seniors Discount Club, we all know the value of a good bargain. But one retail giant that’s always held exclusive discounts has until now required an annual membership. Shopping at Costco without spending $60 on a membership sounds like a dream come true, right? Well, today at Seniors Discount Club, we're here to let you in on a little-known secret that has sealed the deal for bargain hunters across Australia!

Bulk shopping at Costco can save you hundreds of dollars throughout the year, making it extremely popular among budget-conscious shoppers, especially those with large families. The catch is that you need to pay an annual membership fee of $60 to experience these fantastic deals. But a newfound trick has many Aussie shoppers saving big without the upfront cost of the membership.

Although you may be wondering if it’s worth the drive to your nearest Costco, let us paint the picture. Shoppers across the nation have raved about the huge savings they rack up at Costco, finding it a better spend than other major supermarkets like Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA. Not only are your wallet and pantry benefiting from these bulk buys, but the quality of the products—particularly meat—also tops the competition.

1684304215399.png
Source: Costco_Aus/Instagram

So, how do you get in the door without an official membership? The secret is using a Costco shop card. These preloaded cards can be filled with any amount between $25 to $999.99 and can be used in-store to make your purchases. The only catch is getting the shop card from a current member. And whilst you may be unable to use these special cards online or at fuel stations, they are most certainly your golden ticket to Costco's in-store deals.

1684304215496.png
Jess Ndenda, a mother of five, made an unusual shopping trip, spending $1,100 as she filled two shopping carts. Source: TheCEOmum/Tiktok

You might be asking yourself, 'How can using a shop card save me more than my usual trips to my local grocery store?' Customers have reported trimming hundreds of dollars off their grocery bills by stocking up at Costco. One ecstatic mum, who spent $593 on a recent trip, calculated she would have spent a total of $783 on the same items at Coles.

Mum-of-five Jess Ndenda filled two trolleys that totalled $1,100, saving her family hundreds on their monthly grocery spending. Check out the video here:

And it doesn’t stop there. Another mum shared her substantial Costco savings on snacks for her children’s lunches. A 40-pack of Jumpy's potato chips was priced at only $13.99 compared to Woolworth's offer of a mere five-pack for $4.15. A 42-pack of Tiny Teddies cost only $12.49, which was significantly cheaper per 100 grams than the price of individual packs at other supermarkets.

The Benefits of Wholesale Shopping​

Bargain hunters have been flocking to warehouse shopping clubs like Costco to take advantage of bulk deals, with shoppers frequently reporting massive savings on their grocery bills in comparison to supermarkets. But how exactly do warehouses like Costco keep their prices so low?

The main factor is their ability to buy items and products in bulk, often directly from the manufacturers. By doing so, they are able to pass on lower prices to their customers.

Another factor is the membership fees which enable Costco to cut their prices even more drastically. As members help to cover some of the overhead costs, as well as pay for staff and promotional materials, customers can enjoy extra savings while still getting the same quality products. In addition, warehouse clubs like Costco curb their costs by only stocking the most popular products and placing more emphasis on their own brands. The savings can be passed onto the consumer without the need to pay for added services such as online shopping, delivery fees and various other complimentary services.

By offering great savings without compromising on quality, warehouses are slowly becoming the go-to shopping destinations for savvy shoppers. With membership fees as low as $60 a year, anyone looking to make the most of their budget should seriously consider giving wholesaler shopping a go.

Key Takeaways
  • A money-saving expert has revealed that shoppers can shop at Costco without paying the $60 membership fee by using a shop card.
  • Shop cards can be preloaded with any amount from $25 to $999.99 and can be used in-store, but a current member must buy them.
  • Parents of larger families have reported saving hundreds of dollars on their grocery bills by buying in bulk at Costco.
  • Many shoppers claim that Costco's products' quality is better than other stores, particularly for meat and expensive dog food.
There you have it, Members! With 15 Costco stores across Australia, this little-known secret can improve your shopping experience and make that trip to Costco worthwhile. So why not team up with a current Costco member, get your hands on a shop card, and start reaping the rewards of bulk shopping without the need to pay a membership fee? It might just become your new favourite shopping destination!

What were your thoughts on the story? Do you have any Costco-saving tips or hacks of your own? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
only have one store in my state, and its 11/4 hours away. I won't spend fuel and round trip travel of 1 1/2 hours when I live in suburbia and would pass updeen dozen shops between them and me. Different when I was in the country to travel to shop. If its so great, why do they have only one store in the north and nothing south. Business can't be that great or popular. Went twice when visiting a family member whilst she shopped, and I could not find my staples and what I did pick up didn't actually save me.

There are SOME things that are cheaper at Costco, but most things are more expensive. This is especially when it comes to fruit and vegetables, meat, bread.

The sole reason why I keep paying $60 each year is their fuel. As I travel more than 500 km each week the savings on fuel more than compensates for the membership card. So when I get fuel, I also walk through the store and occasionally buy a few items that are reasonably priced.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we all know the value of a good bargain. But one retail giant that’s always held exclusive discounts has until now required an annual membership. Shopping at Costco without spending $60 on a membership sounds like a dream come true, right? Well, today at Seniors Discount Club, we're here to let you in on a little-known secret that has sealed the deal for bargain hunters across Australia!

Bulk shopping at Costco can save you hundreds of dollars throughout the year, making it extremely popular among budget-conscious shoppers, especially those with large families. The catch is that you need to pay an annual membership fee of $60 to experience these fantastic deals. But a newfound trick has many Aussie shoppers saving big without the upfront cost of the membership.

Although you may be wondering if it’s worth the drive to your nearest Costco, let us paint the picture. Shoppers across the nation have raved about the huge savings they rack up at Costco, finding it a better spend than other major supermarkets like Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA. Not only are your wallet and pantry benefiting from these bulk buys, but the quality of the products—particularly meat—also tops the competition.

View attachment 20015
Source: Costco_Aus/Instagram

So, how do you get in the door without an official membership? The secret is using a Costco shop card. These preloaded cards can be filled with any amount between $25 to $999.99 and can be used in-store to make your purchases. The only catch is getting the shop card from a current member. And whilst you may be unable to use these special cards online or at fuel stations, they are most certainly your golden ticket to Costco's in-store deals.

View attachment 20016
Jess Ndenda, a mother of five, made an unusual shopping trip, spending $1,100 as she filled two shopping carts. Source: TheCEOmum/Tiktok

You might be asking yourself, 'How can using a shop card save me more than my usual trips to my local grocery store?' Customers have reported trimming hundreds of dollars off their grocery bills by stocking up at Costco. One ecstatic mum, who spent $593 on a recent trip, calculated she would have spent a total of $783 on the same items at Coles.

Mum-of-five Jess Ndenda filled two trolleys that totalled $1,100, saving her family hundreds on their monthly grocery spending. Check out the video here:

And it doesn’t stop there. Another mum shared her substantial Costco savings on snacks for her children’s lunches. A 40-pack of Jumpy's potato chips was priced at only $13.99 compared to Woolworth's offer of a mere five-pack for $4.15. A 42-pack of Tiny Teddies cost only $12.49, which was significantly cheaper per 100 grams than the price of individual packs at other supermarkets.

The Benefits of Wholesale Shopping​

Bargain hunters have been flocking to warehouse shopping clubs like Costco to take advantage of bulk deals, with shoppers frequently reporting massive savings on their grocery bills in comparison to supermarkets. But how exactly do warehouses like Costco keep their prices so low?

The main factor is their ability to buy items and products in bulk, often directly from the manufacturers. By doing so, they are able to pass on lower prices to their customers.

Another factor is the membership fees which enable Costco to cut their prices even more drastically. As members help to cover some of the overhead costs, as well as pay for staff and promotional materials, customers can enjoy extra savings while still getting the same quality products. In addition, warehouse clubs like Costco curb their costs by only stocking the most popular products and placing more emphasis on their own brands. The savings can be passed onto the consumer without the need to pay for added services such as online shopping, delivery fees and various other complimentary services.

By offering great savings without compromising on quality, warehouses are slowly becoming the go-to shopping destinations for savvy shoppers. With membership fees as low as $60 a year, anyone looking to make the most of their budget should seriously consider giving wholesaler shopping a go.

Key Takeaways

• A money-saving expert has revealed that shoppers can shop at Costco without paying the $60 membership fee by using a shop card.
  • Shop cards can be preloaded with any amount from $25 to $999.99 and can be used in-store, but a current member must buy them.
  • Parents of larger families have reported saving hundreds of dollars on their grocery bills by buying in bulk at Costco.
  • Many shoppers claim that Costco's products' quality is better than other stores, particularly for meat and expensive dog food.
There you have it, Members! With 15 Costco stores across Australia, this little-known secret can improve your shopping experience and make that trip to Costco worthwhile. So why not team up with a current Costco member, get your hands on a shop card, and start reaping the rewards of bulk shopping without the need to pay a membership fee? It might just become your new favourite shopping destination!

What were your thoughts on the story? Do you have any Costco-saving tips or hacks of your own? Let us know in the comments!

I don't understand why people would balk at paying $60 when they are saving so much at the store?

Why not just pay the $60 membership and then you can shop freely all year without having to sponge off a current member that forked out for their membership. I have been a Costco member since they arrived in Australia and easily get my $60 membership fee back in one shop. As stated in the article, membership fees help to cover Costco’s overhead costs which in turn gives us the savings we want so just pay your membership and help us all to save on our shopping.

I love Cosco and I'm lucky there is one around 20 minutes drive.

I don't have a card but 2 of my daughters do and one if them I always go with her anyway.

For our family weekend / wedding away in 2 weeks we are going to stock up from Cosco including croissants and muffins

Also members can fill up at their servo next door and if you produce a card you get 30c of a litre.

Also a holder of the card can add one more person to their card

There are SOME things that are cheaper at Costco, but most things are more expensive. This is especially when it comes to fruit and vegetables, meat, bread.

The sole reason why I keep paying $60 each year is their fuel. As I travel more than 500 km each week the savings on fuel more than compensates for the membership card. So when I get fuel, I also walk through the store and occasionally buy a few items that are reasonably priced.
Same here!
I use 98 premium fuel & Costco price is always cheapest! So I will keep the membership 🤗

I have let my Costco membership lapse. When there was more than just me it used to be a day out as the nearest Costco is nearly two hours away. We would drive up, have lunch, spend the afternoon filling a trolley, fill the car up with cheap fuel and then drive home. This all seems much too much trouble to go for just me, I don't need the bulk buying anymore, and Woolies online shopping and delivery is far more suitable.

Yes it will! Been doing it for years!
Chezna, I have a question for you: If my sister gets me a 'shop card' loaded with say $100 and I then go to Cosco and spend $150, do I use my credit card to pay the balance of $50 OR can I only send what is on the card?
Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

I love Cosco and I'm lucky there is one around 20 minutes drive.

I don't have a card but 2 of my daughters do and one if them I always go with her anyway.

For our family weekend / wedding away in 2 weeks we are going to stock up from Cosco including croissants and muffins

Also members can fill up at their servo next door and if you produce a card you get 30c of a litre.

Also a holder of the card can add one more person to their card
Suzanne Rose, you said that a cardholder can add one more person to their card, does it matter if that one more person does not live with the main card holder?

Suzanne Rose, you said that a cardholder can add one more person to their card, does it matter if that one more person does not live with the main card holder?
The second cardholder MUST live at the same address.

I tried to get a second card for my partner, but we dont live at the same address, so I was told "NO"

No they don't have to be at the same address. My daughter said she can add me as her husband won't go unless she is with him

You can nominate anybody for the second card, you just use one address for the membership. But, you both have to be there when you sign up so you get your photos on the cards at the same time. If you do it separately the second person has to prove their identity and address, and that's when the problems start.
We dont mind paying membership, mainly because when the first one went into Brisbane it ended up being our local, so cheap petrol is great. Would we have done it without the petrol discount ?? We normally are there once every three to four weeks for petrol, I've had people turn up out of the blue and I have ducked in there, filled up with petrol, parked really quickly, run in grabbed a BBQ chicken and a Caesar salad and had lunch on the table in 45 mins, it depends on what day, and what time of day you go.
As for the meat, we have found it is either cheaper or on par with the Butcher shops, not Coles or Woolies etc. My husband has even run into a butcher in Costco who told him it was cheaper for him to get some cuts there than wholesale for the supplier. We fill our freeze about every two months with meat from Costco and know that we are getting top quality meat.

They are too far away even in Sydney from my home to the one in Auburn. By the time I drive there & back home, the use of fuel and car usage is not worth even if no free. They are actually missing out on millions of customers like myself who might call in if I was driving past. It's unlikely but can happen, but I don't go in and all because of the $60 annual fees. Just people wait, Costco will raise their annual membership fee to $75 or more real soon, which will mean world-wide as the $60 annual fees is the same in the USA. What will happen then, will some still pay the $75 per year. I'd like to see what's on offer and the prices but people that have posted on Costco Australia FB and other FB sites have released photos of expensive prices.

Reactions: Skeeta22 and Ricci
You can nominate anybody for the second card, you just use one address for the membership. But, you both have to be there when you sign up so you get your photos on the cards at the same time. If you do it separately the second person has to prove their identity and address, and that's when the problems start.
We dont mind paying membership, mainly because when the first one went into Brisbane it ended up being our local, so cheap petrol is great. Would we have done it without the petrol discount ?? We normally are there once every three to four weeks for petrol, I've had people turn up out of the blue and I have ducked in there, filled up with petrol, parked really quickly, run in grabbed a BBQ chicken and a Caesar salad and had lunch on the table in 45 mins, it depends on what day, and what time of day you go.
As for the meat, we have found it is either cheaper or on par with the Butcher shops, not Coles or Woolies etc. My husband has even run into a butcher in Costco who told him it was cheaper for him to get some cuts there than wholesale for the supplier. We fill our freeze about every two months with meat from Costco and know that we are getting top quality meat.
SGH, thank you for the card info. Do you know anything about this 'shop card' by chance? I am not a member, as Hubby isn't keen!
Thankyou for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Reactions: Ricci