Discover the Jaw-Dropping Cost of a Typical Grocery Haul Amidst Soaring Food Prices

As the cost of living continues to rise, many people are finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the prices of basic necessities, including food.

Inflation has well and truly hit the prices of many common grocery items, leaving shoppers with less bang for their buck. As a result, many Aussies have been forced to adjust their grocery budgets and be more strategic with their shopping lists.

In fact, it's not uncommon to see fewer items in grocery trolleys these days as people prioritise essentials and make tough choices about what to buy.

This trend has been further highlighted by a viral grocery haul, which outraged many shoppers around the country.

A photo of the purchase — which included only a handful of items, such as a block of cheese, mince, cordial, eggs, and a packet of wraps — has made the rounds on social media after it was revealed that it cost the shopper $78.

68105205-11795961-This_shocking_photo_has_exposed_the_brutal_reality_of_Australia_-a-1_1677451564995.jpg

This alarming image reveals the harsh truth of Australia's cost of living crisis by illuminating how little consumers receive for their nearly $80 grocery bill at the moment. Credit: Reddit.

Many Aussies were shocked by the high price, given how little they were able to get for their money.

'Cheese is so expensive at the moment. It must be laced with gold or something. It definitely racked up your grocery bill,’ commented one shopper.

Many others pointed out how it’s increasingly difficult to make ends meet given that groceries now cost ‘an arm and a leg’.

One user shared: ‘Shopping just makes me sad these days. I do a lot of standing, looking at aisles and then walking away as everything is just too expensive.’

Others suggested that shoppers should make the switch and go to cheaper supermarkets such as ALDI.

'Go to ALDI. The prices have increased, but nowhere near the prices of Coles and Woolworths,' said one user comment.

'500g of beef mince is about six bucks at ALDI, less than half the price of Coles and Woolworths.'

Another shared: 'Last week, I ordered $200 worth of groceries, and I definitely didn't get that many things. Worse still, I'm on a fixed income and can't save any money. Most of it is being used up per fortnight.'

‘I genuinely feel like I'm getting robbed every time I shop at Woolies or Coles, but it's just not feasible for most people to go to the markets a couple of times a week or buy from four different shops, especially those who work big hours,’ a third added.

It's important to acknowledge that we have previously reported on stories about shoppers being outraged over a photo of an 'expensive' grocery haul.

However, what's concerning is that this recent photo seems to reflect the reality that most of us face — that over time, it appears we're buying fewer items while paying more for them.

This trend raises significant questions about the economic factors driving such a shift in consumer behaviour and warrants further investigation.

It's also worth noting that the recent price hike in grocery items is happening while Woolworths reported a 25 per cent increase in profit, and Coles recorded an 11 per cent increase in the last six months leading up to December.

This has lead many to wonder why the profits of these companies are rising while customers are getting less for their money.

Woolworths' CEO Brad Banducci observed that consumers were adjusting their shopping habits due to the impact of inflation on their household budgets, claiming that consumers were increasingly choosing cheaper private-label groceries.

He also added that there’s a shift towards the preference for canned foods and fewer people dining out.

Mr Banducci said: 'Inflation is continuing to affect how customers shop but the overall impact on our business at this stage remains modest.’

'Inflation is coming down but not as quickly as we would like. We remain very focused on ensuring that customers can get their money's worth through our various programs of price drops, low-price specials, personalised offers and range curation.'

Marion Kohler, the Reserve Bank of Australia's Head of Economic Analysis, is reassuring people that this inflation is temporary and will decrease soon.

However, it's uncertain how much relief this will bring to those struggling with higher prices.

Key Takeaways
  • A picture of an average grocery haul for $78.80 went viral, exposing the brutal reality of Australia’s cost of living crisis.
  • Many Aussies were outraged over how little they got for almost $80.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia has been hiking interest rates since May 2022 in response to soaring inflation.
  • Woolworths said they understand the cost of living pressures and have a new Price Dropped program with thousands of weekly specials and Own Brand products at low prices.

Members, if you're finding it challenging to save money and struggling with the ever-increasing prices of your weekly grocery shop, please know that you're not alone.

To help you keep your pantry stocked with quality ingredients without breaking the bank, we've put together a few tips for supermarket shopping:

1. Look out for specials: Keep an eye on sales and consider buying items in bulk to save money.
  2. Try your local independent grocer: Independent grocers often offer fresh produce and competitive prices.
  3. Buy frozen and canned products: Frozen and canned produce can cost 50-75 per cent less than fresh options but are just as nutritious.
  4. Don't shop when you're hungry: Shopping on an empty stomach usually leads to more impulse buys, so eat beforehand.
So what do you think, members? Have you recently noticed an increase in food prices here in Australia? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
As the cost of living continues to rise, many people are finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the prices of basic necessities, including food.

Inflation has well and truly hit the prices of many common grocery items, leaving shoppers with less bang for their buck. As a result, many Aussies have been forced to adjust their grocery budgets and be more strategic with their shopping lists.

In fact, it's not uncommon to see fewer items in grocery trolleys these days as people prioritise essentials and make tough choices about what to buy.

This trend has been further highlighted by a viral grocery haul, which outraged many shoppers around the country.

A photo of the purchase — which included only a handful of items, such as a block of cheese, mince, cordial, eggs, and a packet of wraps — has made the rounds on social media after it was revealed that it cost the shopper $78.

68105205-11795961-This_shocking_photo_has_exposed_the_brutal_reality_of_Australia_-a-1_1677451564995.jpg

This alarming image reveals the harsh truth of Australia's cost of living crisis by illuminating how little consumers receive for their nearly $80 grocery bill at the moment. Credit: Reddit.

Many Aussies were shocked by the high price, given how little they were able to get for their money.

'Cheese is so expensive at the moment. It must be laced with gold or something. It definitely racked up your grocery bill,’ commented one shopper.

Many others pointed out how it’s increasingly difficult to make ends meet given that groceries now cost ‘an arm and a leg’.

One user shared: ‘Shopping just makes me sad these days. I do a lot of standing, looking at aisles and then walking away as everything is just too expensive.’

Others suggested that shoppers should make the switch and go to cheaper supermarkets such as ALDI.

'Go to ALDI. The prices have increased, but nowhere near the prices of Coles and Woolworths,' said one user comment.

'500g of beef mince is about six bucks at ALDI, less than half the price of Coles and Woolworths.'

Another shared: 'Last week, I ordered $200 worth of groceries, and I definitely didn't get that many things. Worse still, I'm on a fixed income and can't save any money. Most of it is being used up per fortnight.'

‘I genuinely feel like I'm getting robbed every time I shop at Woolies or Coles, but it's just not feasible for most people to go to the markets a couple of times a week or buy from four different shops, especially those who work big hours,’ a third added.

It's important to acknowledge that we have previously reported on stories about shoppers being outraged over a photo of an 'expensive' grocery haul.

However, what's concerning is that this recent photo seems to reflect the reality that most of us face — that over time, it appears we're buying fewer items while paying more for them.

This trend raises significant questions about the economic factors driving such a shift in consumer behaviour and warrants further investigation.

It's also worth noting that the recent price hike in grocery items is happening while Woolworths reported a 25 per cent increase in profit, and Coles recorded an 11 per cent increase in the last six months leading up to December.

This has lead many to wonder why the profits of these companies are rising while customers are getting less for their money.

Woolworths' CEO Brad Banducci observed that consumers were adjusting their shopping habits due to the impact of inflation on their household budgets, claiming that consumers were increasingly choosing cheaper private-label groceries.

He also added that there’s a shift towards the preference for canned foods and fewer people dining out.

Mr Banducci said: 'Inflation is continuing to affect how customers shop but the overall impact on our business at this stage remains modest.’

'Inflation is coming down but not as quickly as we would like. We remain very focused on ensuring that customers can get their money's worth through our various programs of price drops, low-price specials, personalised offers and range curation.'

Marion Kohler, the Reserve Bank of Australia's Head of Economic Analysis, is reassuring people that this inflation is temporary and will decrease soon.

However, it's uncertain how much relief this will bring to those struggling with higher prices.

Key Takeaways

• A picture of an average grocery haul for $78.80 went viral, exposing the brutal reality of Australia’s cost of living crisis.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia has been hiking interest rates since May 2022 in response to soaring inflation.
  • Woolworths said they understand the cost of living pressures and have a new Price Dropped program with thousands of weekly specials and Own Brand products at low prices.

Members, if you're finding it challenging to save money and struggling with the ever-increasing prices of your weekly grocery shop, please know that you're not alone.

To help you keep your pantry stocked with quality ingredients without breaking the bank, we've put together a few tips for supermarket shopping:

1. Look out for specials: Keep an eye on sales and consider buying items in bulk to save money.
  2. Try your local independent grocer: Independent grocers often offer fresh produce and competitive prices.
  3. Buy frozen and canned products: Frozen and canned produce can cost 50-75 per cent less than fresh options but are just as nutritious.
  4. Don't shop when you're hungry: Shopping on an empty stomach usually leads to more impulse buys, so eat beforehand.
So what do you think, members? Have you recently noticed an increase in food prices here in Australia? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Woolworths CEO should remember it’s us seniors along with my parents who built Woolies to where it is today . Every week the prices go up and they say inflation. That is BS . How come your share holder are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense. Farmers are not making money, transport companies are running at a loss and consumers have to go without because we can’t afford to buy food at their inflated prices. Try shopping at ALDI and IGA

Key Takeaways

Except for the rocket. There was nothing healthy. Eating that kind of diet would lead to using more medication eventually. Disclaimer "Just an observation a d not a personal attack on anyone or anything".

Cheese is expensive enough but when you are too lazy to cut your own and only buy sliced then more fool you and don’t complain about cost (there are 2 packets of sliced cheese in the picture). Also “Brioche Gourmet” whatever they are !!!! Buying anything with the word Gourmet in the name is just asking to pay twice or three times what it’s worth. This is not a pensioners shop or anyone who is on a budget.

Except for the rocket. There was nothing healthy. Eating that kind of diet would lead to using more medication eventually. Disclaimer "Just an observation a d not a personal attack on anyone or anything".
Just did the same shop at Coles online and it came to $44.30 - I don't understand why people don't do their research. Their own fault methinks.

Key Takeaways

A picture of an average grocery haul for $78.80 went viral, exposing the brutal reality of Australia’s cost of living crisis.

Many Aussies were outraged over how little they got for almost $80.

The Reserve Bank of Australia has been hiking interest rates since May 2022 in response to soaring inflation.

Woolworths said they understand the cost of living pressures and have a new Price Dropped program with thousands of weekly specials and Own Brand products at low prices.

Look out for specials: Keep an eye on sales and consider buying items in bulk to save money.

Try your local independent grocer: Independent grocers often offer fresh produce and competitive prices.

Buy frozen and canned products: Frozen and canned produce can cost 50-75 per cent less than fresh options but are just as nutritious.

Don't shop when you're hungry: Shopping on an empty stomach usually leads to more impulse buys, so eat beforehand.

So what do you think, members? Have you recently noti$150ced an increase in food prices here in Australia? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Our fornighty shopping from Woolies used to be around

Key Takeaways

A picture of an average grocery haul for $78.80 went viral, exposing the brutal reality of Australia’s cost of living crisis.
Many Aussies were outraged over how little they got for almost $80.
The Reserve Bank of Australia has been hiking interest rates since May 2022 in response to soaring inflation.
Woolworths said they understand the cost of living pressures and have a new Price Dropped program with thousands of weekly specials and Own Brand products at low prices.

Look out for specials: Keep an eye on sales and consider buying items in bulk to save money.
Try your local independent grocer: Independent grocers often offer fresh produce and competitive prices.
Buy frozen and canned products: Frozen and canned produce can cost 50-75 per cent less than fresh options but are just as nutritious.
Don't shop when you're hungry: Shopping on an empty stomach usually leads to more impulse buys, so eat beforehand.
We used to spend around $150 per fortnight at Woolies (after Smaller shops at Aldi and the Fruit and Veg shop). But now we can't get under $200 at Woolies. BTW, Aldi and the F&V shop have gone up ridiculously as well.

They reduce prices on basics and have their specials, but they make up for it by substantially increasing other items. They don't mention those in their publicity, do they?

The increases more than absorb all the reductions....and then some. You've got to love marketing ploys and price manipulation. Always to the customers' detriment and shareholders' benefit.

We have just finished our pension day shopping. Today the bill was about twice the money it was last year. $254 compared to $146 in Nov 2022.
You wonder where they get their inflation figures from??? Looks like a lot more than 7.8% to me

Reactions: Ricci
I’ve just been to Coles and noticed at the checkout the bars and rolls of chocolates that have been just $1 for ages are now $1.50 so there goes that small treat ! And the say in the article above, prices will come down soon ….. I’ll believe that when I see it !

Reactions: Cherie Karl
I am on Newstart and live alone. I'm also on a special diet, due to liver disease. People will be getting sick. because of the cost of healthy food. I know that my daughter's. Grocery bill is about at least an extra $50 a week more now. I try to help where I can, and it's just crippling for most families, along with rent increase, etc etc. Shopping is no longer a nice experience.

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540
Why would you buy Brioche bread at 7 plus dollars [it's more like cake] double the price of normal bread?
Im not too sure but the Brioche Bread is an Aldi buy and other food stuff you get at Aldi, not too sure about Bickfords, so is this an Aldi Shop buy? I had to put stuff back at checkout as I went way over what money I had there last week, most embarrassing. I can really see the difference now in food shopping compared with this time last year.

I don’t know where those groceries came from, but where I shop they wouldn’t cost that much. You can also buy 10 litres of spring water for between $3-$3.50. Why would you buy two bottles.

Reactions: Babbie
This person has to be the worse shopper ever. But the stores supply items like brioche because some people are willing to pay the price. For the amount of money, I could have done amazing purchases and several meals in that amount. It cost me about $25 and made 16 Bolognese ready-made meals and 9 meat patties ready with with carrot, onion, French onion soup, tomato paste... Not bad. With some spaghetti and bread toast for some hamburgers with patties, side salads add $2. + $10 for salads. total cost $25 + $2 + $11 = $37.00 for 24 meals = $1.52 a meal. Woollies had drumsticks on sale for $2.50 per kilo about 2.5 weeks ago. 6 kilos = $15.00 or a little over. I made several meals. All frozen in freezer.