Discover the ingenious trick a woman is using to slash her electricity bills!

As electricity prices continue to rise, many people are looking for clever ways to save money on bills.

Now, one Aussie mum has shared her simple trick for keeping her electricity bills down—and it’s one you probably haven’t heard before.

Taking to social media, Amber Paul shared her money-saving tip, and it all started with her taking a closer look at her bill.

photo (2).jpg
Amber Paul shared a technique on how to save money on electricity. Credit: @amberpaul.3/TikTok

'Maybe this is really obvious to everybody but me, but I have just discovered a way to save so much money on our electricity bill,' Amber began.

‘If you look at your bill, you will have a peak charge and an off-peak charge. So, what it doesn’t tell you on the bill is that the peak is between 3:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., seven days a week.’

‘During that six-hour peak, electricity costs double what it costs at any other time of day,’ she said.

Her video garnered mixed reactions from social media users.

One person was grateful for the knowledge, commenting: ‘I didn’t know that, thank you for that information.’

Another person affirmed her trick, saying: ‘I work in an energy company and the number of people that don't know this is crazy. Also, make sure you pool pump/spa, anything else that consumes.’

‘Our parents have been doing this our whole lives,’ a third user shared.

Meanwhile, some were not convinced of its effectiveness. A person wrote: ‘This a great tip for those in the same location/set up. However, this doesn’t apply to everyone and can vary with state, distributor and individual property.’

‘Not everyone has both options,’ a fifth user pointed out.

But others were determined not to walk away without learning.

‘I think the lesson is to check your bill properly to see when your peak and off-peak are. Everyone is different depending on who your provider is,’ another user said.

What is an off-peak rate?

Off-peak electricity pertains to the reduced and discounted pricing for electricity during particular periods of the day, typically coinciding with times when residential and commercial energy consumption is lower.

According to Finder energy expert Mariam Gabaji, off-peak times vary per location and distributor.

For example, Ausgrid designates its peak hours from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on weekdays during the summer season and from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on weekdays during the winter season.

On the other hand, the off-peak timeframe spans from 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., while the shoulder period falls between the peak and off-peak hours.

For times and rates applicable in your case, please check with your service provider through their official website or customer service channels.

Your eligibility for off-peak rates also varies and will depend on the type of your meter and its configuration.

Gabaji stated: ‘To be able to get a time-of-use tariff, you need to have a smart meter or a time-of-use meter because the retailer needs to know how much energy you’re using during different periods of time.’

Consumers may call their energy retailer to inquire if they can sign up for a time-of-use tariff.

How can I save money using the off-peak rate?

Aussies with off-peak prices can save by shifting their electricity usage to off-peak times. This includes running appliances like dishwashers, washing machines and dryers during the off-peak times.

But again, this may not apply to everyone, especially considering outside factors like temperature.

‘One thing to keep in mind is that 40 per cent of energy use goes into heating and cooling. So, that might be harder to control because if you are feeling really hot and you need to turn the air-con on, you won’t think about off-peak periods,’ Gabaji explained.

She also said Australians can save money by regularly comparing energy plans to make sure they are getting a good deal for their area, as well as thinking about upgrading old energy-inefficient appliances.

You can watch Amber’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum has shared a money-saving tip on social media, advising the use of electrical appliances during off-peak times to save on energy bills.
  • Many users were unaware of different rates for peak and off-peak electricity usage.
  • Off-peak electricity refers to lower electricity prices during certain times of the day, usually when usage is less. Whether a consumer is eligible for these rates depends on their type of meter and how it is set up.
  • According to Finder energy expert Mariam Gabaji, off-peak times vary per location and distributor.
  • Gabaji recommended regularly comparing energy plans and upgrading to energy-efficient appliances to save on electricity costs.

Perhaps this is the perfect time to inspect your electricity bills and ask your distributor if you can take advantage of those off-peak times!

What do you think of this story, members? Did you know about off-peak rates? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricki
Sponsored
I'll be honest.
I really don't care about the peak off peak aspect. Everyone I know is aware of it, especially those like me who were introduced to the world of off peak hot water systems in the olden days.
The only way I can effectively save in that area is to turn everything off, don't cook dinner, don't shower, and, sit in the dark until 9pm.
We fitted the solar panels, solar hot water system, solar battery and, most important of all, remain mindful of power use 24/7. We do not have a 2nd fridge, 2nd freezer, Spa, Pool or any other non essential play tools.
Because we have solar, any heavier use, like dishwasher, washing machine etc... happens when the sun is out. We turn things off that are not being used, and ,only use air con if absolutely necessary.
Our quarterly bill is pretty much as low as can be without living in a cave.

I have a 6.8 K.W solar system installed several years ago I am on premium feed in tariff, I live alone in the winter months the heat pump goes on in the morning about 6 am every day off about 9.30 -10.00pm every night solar panels covers the power plus credit each month plus tv computer lights etc.

I had a heat pump hot water system installed a couple of years ago that cut a chunk off the bill. If you get the opportunity to upgrade to the heat pump hot water system take my advice do it they are fantastic unlimited hot water they have a heat pump just like the air-conditioning system when you use the hot water the heat pump kick in and heats the water.
These are free all you pay for is the election and plumber and materials used.

About 2 years ago I changed company's I am with Sumo I did the comparison Sumo give me the best deal, I have not had to pay for power since I changed so I am very pleased with Sumo,.

It pays to do the comparison I would advise everyone to do so you may be surprised in the different prices.

Reactions: MariaG
I have a 6.4k solar system, my clothes dryer is a heat pump model, so is 8 star efficiency.
My bill for the last year was just over $150, after taking off the $250 government cost of living credit.