Remembering the lives of Grease actress Susan Buckner (72) and radio announcer Max Rowley (87)

The entertainment world mourns the loss of a beloved star as news breaks of the passing of Susan Buckner, the actress who played the iconic role of Patty Simcox in the 1978 hit musical Grease at 72 years old.

Meanwhile, Australia lost one of its most beloved broadcasting icons, Max Rowley, who passed away at 87 on Thursday, 2 May.

Her passing was announced by the family’s publicist, Melissa Berthier.

‘Susan died peacefully on May 2 surrounded by loved ones,’ she said in a statement. Buckner’s cause of death was not disclosed.

image (1).jpg
Hollywood actress Susan Buckner (left) and radio announcer Max Rowley (right) passed away. Credit: @_therealsusan_buckner / Instagram / Facebook

Her daughter, Samantha Mansfield, also remembered the late actress.

‘The light she brought into every room will be missed forever,’ Mansfield said. ‘She was magic, and I was very lucky to call her my best friend.’

Susan Buckner's journey to stardom began in Seattle, where she was born in 1952. Her early claim to fame was being crowned Miss Washington in 1971.

She soon became a familiar face on television as part of The Golddiggers on The Dean Martin Show, an all-female singing and dancing troupe that captured the hearts of audiences nationwide.

Her career blossomed as she graced a variety of shows, including The Mac Davis Show, Sonny and Cher, and The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.

However, it was her role as the perky and preppy Patty Simcox in Grease that solidified her place in cinematic history.

She starred alongside John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Barry Pearl, Dinah Manoff, Michael Tucci and the late Jeff Conaway.

The character of Patty Simcox was unforgettable, especially her famous cheer: 'Do the splits, give a yell! Show a little spirit for Old Rydell! Way to go, red and white! Go, Rydell, fight, fight, fight!'

Buckner did not reprise her role in the sequel Grease 2.

After Grease, Buckner continued to act, appearing in popular shows like Starsky & Hutch and The Love Boat and in the 1981 slasher film Deadly Blessing, which marked her final acting role.

In her later years, she dedicated herself to directing children's theatre and teaching dance, sharing her passion for the arts with the younger generation.

Buckner is survived by Mansfield, her son Adam Josephs, her grandchildren Oliver, Riley, Abigail, and Ruby, her sister Linda, daughter-in-law Noel Josephs, son-in-law Adam Mansfield, and her longtime partner Al.

You can watch the tribute to Susan Buckner below:

Credit: New York Post / YouTube

On the other hand, Max Rowley's voice was a staple in many Australian homes, his distinctive tone gracing the airwaves and television screens in a career that spanned several decades.

He was not just the voice behind the hit TV show Perfect Match but also lent his talents to It’s a Knockout, The Norman Gunston Show, and Great Temptation.

Rowley's family announced his death on Sunday, 5 May, saying, ‘With heavy hearts and deepest sorrow, the family of Max Rowley regret to announce his passing.’

Rowley's journey in the media industry began as an actor in radio serials at 2UE, 2GB, AWA, and ABC.

His transition from acting to announcing was seamless, and his voice quickly became one of the most recognised voices in the country.

But his contributions went far beyond his on-air work; he was also a mentor to many, shaping the future of Australian broadcasting through his guidance and expertise.

He trained and mentored a host of big industry names, including Brendan 'Jonesy' Jones and Rob Duckworth, at the Max Rowley Media Academy in Sydney.

His impact on these individuals was profound, as evidenced by the heartfelt tributes that have poured in from friends, colleagues, and former students.

WSFM presenter Jones shared a touching story about how Rowley reignited his passion for radio at a time when he had almost ‘given up’.

After completing Rowley's radio course, Jones worked on a building site when he came across Rowley in a carpark.

‘He said, “How’re you going with your dream?” and I said, “I don’t think it’s going to happen”,’ Jones said.

Rowley's encouragement led Jones to 'have another crack' at his dream.

‘Max sought me out in the carpark...he got me re-motivated, for that, I owe him a great debt,’ he said.

Adam Connelly from Radio 5MU described Rowley: ‘Max changed my life and set it upon a love affair with radio that’s so far lasted 20 years.’

‘One of the kindest, warmest and most generous men I’ve had the pleasure of knowing.’

‘His influence on our industry is immeasurable.’

Others in the industry echoed these sentiments, describing Rowley as a 'giant in the industry' and 'so generous.'

A funeral service to honour Max Rowley's life and contributions will be held at St Thomas’ Anglican Church in North Sydney on Wednesday, 8 May.
Key Takeaways
  • Susan Buckner, best known for her role as Patty Simcox in the movie musical Grease, has passed away at the age of 72.
  • Susan Buckner brought a magic presence to every room, and her light will be greatly missed, according to her daughter Samantha Mansfield.
  • Aside from Grease, Buckner had a career that included appearances in variety shows and other acting roles, and in later years she directed children's theatre and taught dance.
  • Max Rowley, a veteran Australian TV and radio announcer, passed away at age 87.
  • He was known for his distinct voice on shows such as Perfect Match, It’s a Knockout, The Norman Gunston Show, and Great Temptation.
  • Rowley was also a mentor to many in the industry through the Max Rowley Media Academy.
  • Tributes have poured in, describing him as a major influence in the broadcasting industry and a generous figure.
As we reflect on Buckner’s and Rowley’s careers, we are reminded of the joy and hope they brought and the impact they had had on those who knew them personally.

Their light, indeed, will be missed forever.

May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
I find that it's quite interesting news to a certain degree to know of particular celebrity persons who have passed away. Especially ones who you can relate to with ease. Often you read about celebrities who, in many instances you cannot relate to or have never never heard of passing away. e.g., does one know who "Chant" Romero was ? Well he wrote and sang the hit song, "Hippy Hippy Shake" who passed away about a week or two back in April. Another well known entertainer was Duane Eddy who passed away this month.

Reactions: gabbyj and Vicki.E.