Discover the Incredible Innovation Helping Disabled Women Take Back Their Dignity Every Day!

In a world where the fashion industry often overlooks the needs of people with disabilities, one Australian mother's ingenuity has sparked a revolution in accessible clothing, starting with something as fundamental as a bra. Rachel Whittaker, the founder of BraEasy, has turned personal adversity into a beacon of hope for women with disabilities, proving that necessity truly is the mother of invention.

Fifteen years ago, Rachel Whittaker might not have been an expert in the mechanics of bras, but life had other plans. When her daughter Jamie-Lee McNamara developed a brain tumour and experienced strokes at the tender age of nine, Rachel was thrust into a world where everyday tasks became monumental challenges. Among these was the simple act of putting on a bra, a rite of passage and a symbol of independence for many women.

1724384536868.png
BraEasy founder Rachel Whittaker created an accessible bra to help women with disabilities dress independently. Credit: BraEasy Official / YouTube

The quest for a solution led Rachel to an astonishing discovery: bras are typically assembled from 25 parts, and those that open on the side could significantly benefit people with limited mobility. This revelation was more than just a design insight; it was a call to action. Rachel understood that independence in dressing could profoundly impact a person's life, affecting their self-esteem, comfort, and expression of personality.

The journey wasn't easy. Rachel spent countless hours searching for a suitable bra for Jamie-Lee, only to come up empty-handed. Undeterred, she channelled her 'innate' determination into creating a solution herself. She experimented by cutting up her own bras and even ventured into hardware stores for materials. The result was a bra that opens with velcro on each side, allowing it to be put on with one hand. This bra, affectionately named after Jamie-Lee, was not just an undergarment; it was an 'engineering feat.'

Rachel's creation was more than a personal victory; it was the seed that grew into BraEasy, an NDIS-registered online store that has sold thousands of accessible bras to people with disabilities and those with limited mobility since its inception four years ago. The impact of her work is immeasurable. 'When you know that you've changed someone's life for the better, just by doing something as simple as that, it just means the world,' Rachel said.

The bras, now manufactured overseas, are still packed by Rachel, who often consults with customers to find the most suitable fit. She recalls the story of a woman who suffered shoulder subluxation after a stroke. The solution was a front-closure racerback bra, which prevented the straps from slipping off her lowered shoulder. It's stories like these that highlight the profound difference accessible clothing can make in a person's life.

The benefits of such innovations extend beyond personal comfort. Paralympian and president of People with Disability Australia, Marayke Jonkers, emphasizes that accessible clothing can also be cost-effective. When individuals can dress themselves, they save on the expenses of hiring support workers, which can be over $50 an hour.

After four years of dedication, Rachel has decided to pass the leadership of BraEasy to her sister-in-law Julie, who shares her passion for accessible clothing. Yet, Rachel's advocacy doesn't end here. She continues to push for more designers to join the movement and create clothing that is more accessible to all.

Rachel's story is a testament to the power of innovation and empathy. It's a reminder that in the pursuit of inclusivity, the fashion industry has a significant role to play. For the members of our Seniors Discount Club who may face similar challenges or know someone who does, BraEasy represents a step towards a world where dignity and independence are accessible to all.

Key Takeaways
  • BraEasy founder Rachel Whittaker has developed an accessible bra designed to help women with disabilities and limited mobility dress themselves independently.
  • The innovative design incorporates strong velcro and side openings, allowing for easy use with one hand, and came about after Whittaker's daughter needed an alternative following a brain tumour and strokes.
  • BraEasy has become an NDIS-registered online store, selling thousands of accessible bras since its inception, offering support to those who may struggle with conventional undergarments.
  • The article highlights the importance of accessible fashion in promoting self-esteem and independence, as well as saving costs on personal support for dressing, as underscored by Paralympian and president of People with Disability Australia, Marayke Jonkers.
We invite you to share your thoughts and experiences with accessible clothing. Have you or a loved one found innovative solutions to dressing independently? Let's discuss the importance of inclusivity in fashion and celebrate the victories, big and small, that bring us closer to a world where everyone can express themselves freely and comfortably.

Sponsored
I think all bras should be front opening, or just like sports bras that can be put on over the head with no closures at all. When I had my babies I always found the front opening maternity bras to be much more comfortable than normal bras, and I continued to wear them for many years even though I didn’t need a maternity bra. Now I just wear crop top type bras with no opening at all. Very easy to manage.

I have been wearing bras that are front-closing for some years. Best idea I have found. So much easier when your hands don’t work very well. I would like to know more about BraEasy.
I had my bras brought out from the US as my 'size' needs specially made to fit orders at a huge cost. I had one that hooked between the boobs but never liked it. I think best for those with smaller to normal sizes and the velcro idea sounds wonderful as I am sure it would be secure and not scratch. I buy mine on eBay from Viki in Germany. They are well-made and cheaper for the same quality than most sold here. Best ever.

a bra is the most difficult piece of clothing even with two arms and hands. well done rachel. i hope your daughter is doing well. my best.

I think all bras should be front opening, or just like sports bras that can be put on over the head with no closures at all. When I had my babies I always found the front opening maternity bras to be much more comfortable than normal bras, and I continued to wear them for many years even though I didn’t need a maternity bra. Now I just wear crop top type bras with no opening at all. Very easy to manage.
just great when you are sweaty from a shower.