Discover the heartwarming reason this ALDI shopper buys gifts for checkout staff

We’ve all had experiences at the checkout that make us want to pull our hair out. It could range from dealing with a customer in front of us who’s taking too long to unload their trolley to witnessing an altercation in the middle of a shop.

However, it’s the retail workers who are often caught in the middle of these events. It’s easy to forget that staff are also people who may be dealing with personal troubles and just need someone to be kind to them at that moment.

That's why every little act of kindness we can do for one another is a breath of fresh air in this gloomy world. And one fun way to be kind is by giving gifts (or a smile) to people who are just doing their jobs – just like what this shopper did for a checkout staff member who was treated badly by another customer.

An ALDI shopper has been praised for her act of kindness after witnessing one of the retailer’s checkout employees being treated poorly.

The woman posted about her experience to the popular Facebook page, ALDI Mums, and reminded shoppers to always be kind to retail staff.

‘Today, I bought a KitKat bar for our ALDI register lady,’ she said.

gift1.jpg
The woman said she witnessed the checkout staff being mistreated. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

She continued: ‘Just before this, she’d been treated terribly by another customer, and it should never have happened. She was obviously new and handled it with so much professionalism, but I’d be biting back tears.’

Then, when the checkout worker scanned the chocolate bar, the shopper told her not to bag it as it was meant for the worker.

‘I said: “No, not bagging that one. That’s for you. That other (customer) treated you terribly, and I’m sorry. It shouldn’t happen, I’d have lost my biscuit, but you handled it so well.”’

The woman then urged others to ‘please think of doing this when you see the poor treatment of staff, anywhere’.

‘We’ve all been there, and it might mean a shining light in a darker moment for someone who you never know their story,’ she wrote before adding that people in the queue behind her also saw the poor treatment of the worker as well and offered kind words to the worker.

‘It was a moment of support for the amazing ALDI workers,’ she claimed.

‘Please always be kind. And when you see unkindness, turn it around with your (kindness),’ the woman said.

gift2.jpg
The shopper urged everyone to be kind. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

Hundreds of people who saw the woman’s post praised her kind act towards the ALDI employee.

‘Good on you for doing something special for that poor worker,’ one stated, while another said that what the shopper did was a ‘beautiful sentiment’.

A third wrote: ‘That’s so nice – what a lovely idea.’

Others shared their own efforts and experiences in thanking customer service staff.

One said that their 18-year-old son is currently putting himself through university by working at ALDI. ‘He gets some terrible customers and situations thrown at him,’ they added.

‘I mindfully make a real effort now to have a cheerful and meaningful interaction with everyone whom I encounter when I go shopping,’ they explained.

Another wrote: ‘I have done similar, bought a lady crying her eyes out at Macarthur Square a red love heart choccy and it totally turned her bad moment around with such a big smile and hug.’

A third commented and said they also witnessed the mistreatment of a worker at their local store recently. ‘I told the young girl working that she’s doing an amazing job and she shouldn’t be treated like that,’ they stated.

Others agreed and said it doesn’t cost much to be nice to others.

‘It doesn’t kill us to be kind and thoughtful,’ one more replied.

‘No one should ever be made to feel scared or belittled,’ someone else responded.

Workers in the retail industry have long suffered from unfair levels of abuse and mistreatment, Numerous reports of assault, including verbal, physical, and sexual, have also been reported in stores across the country.

This is why supermarket giant Woolworths took matters into its own hands to protect its team members from mistreatment by trialling body cameras in select stores. While the security measure was done to protect employees, it also divided customers who claimed that it was an invasion of their privacy. You can read more details about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper witnessed a checkout staff member being treated badly by another customer and decided to buy her a KitKat as a random act of kindness.
  • The woman shared her story on the popular Facebook page ALDI Mums, encouraging others to be kind to retail staff and support them when they see poor treatment.
  • Hundreds of people praised the woman's kind act towards the ALDI worker, and some shared their own efforts to thank the customer service staff.
  • The story highlights the importance of kindness and treating retail workers with respect, as they often face difficult situations with customers.
Do you have any stories of random acts of kindness you’ve witnessed or like to share? Tell us about them in the comments section!

Sponsored
We’ve all had experiences at the checkout that make us want to pull our hair out. It could range from dealing with a customer in front of us who’s taking too long to unload their trolley to witnessing an altercation in the middle of a shop.

However, it’s the retail workers who are often caught in the middle of these events. It’s easy to forget that staff are also people who may be dealing with personal troubles and just need someone to be kind to them at that moment.

That's why every little act of kindness we can do for one another is a breath of fresh air in this gloomy world. And one fun way to be kind is by giving gifts (or a smile) to people who are just doing their jobs – just like what this shopper did for a checkout staff member who was treated badly by another customer.

An ALDI shopper has been praised for her act of kindness after witnessing one of the retailer’s checkout employees being treated poorly.

The woman posted about her experience to the popular Facebook page, ALDI Mums, and reminded shoppers to always be kind to retail staff.

View attachment 16926
The woman said she witnessed the checkout staff being mistreated. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

She continued: ‘Just before this, she’d been treated terribly by another customer, and it should never have happened. She was obviously new and handled it with so much professionalism, but I’d be biting back tears.’

Then, when the checkout worker scanned the chocolate bar, the shopper told her not to bag it as it was meant for the worker.

‘I said: “No, not bagging that one. That’s for you. That other (customer) treated you terribly, and I’m sorry. It shouldn’t happen, I’d have lost my biscuit, but you handled it so well.”’

The woman then urged others to ‘please think of doing this when you see the poor treatment of staff, anywhere’.

‘We’ve all been there, and it might mean a shining light in a darker moment for someone who you never know their story,’ she wrote before adding that people in the queue behind her also saw the poor treatment of the worker as well and offered kind words to the worker.

‘Please always be kind. And when you see unkindness, turn it around with your (kindness),’ the woman said.

View attachment 16927

Hundreds of people who saw the woman’s post praised her kind act towards the ALDI employee.

‘Good on you for doing something special for that poor worker,’ one stated, while another said that what the shopper did was a ‘beautiful sentiment’.

Others shared their own efforts and experiences in thanking customer service staff.

One said that their 18-year-old son is currently putting himself through university by working at ALDI. ‘He gets some terrible customers and situations thrown at him,’ they added.

‘I mindfully make a real effort now to have a cheerful and meaningful interaction with everyone whom I encounter when I go shopping,’ they explained.

Another wrote: ‘I have done similar, bought a lady crying her eyes out at Macarthur Square a red love heart choccy and it totally turned her bad moment around with such a big smile and hug.’

A third commented and said they also witnessed the mistreatment of a worker at their local store recently. ‘I told the young girl working that she’s doing an amazing job and she shouldn’t be treated like that,’ they stated.

‘No one should ever be made to feel scared or belittled,’ someone else responded.

Workers in the retail industry have long suffered from unfair levels of abuse and mistreatment, Numerous reports of assault, including verbal, physical, and sexual, have also been reported in stores across the country.

This is why supermarket giant Woolworths took matters into its own hands to protect its team members from mistreatment by trialling body cameras in select stores. While the security measure was done to protect employees, it also divided customers who claimed that it was an invasion of their privacy. You can read more details about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper witnessed a checkout staff member being treated badly by another customer and decided to buy her a KitKat as a random act of kindness.
  • The woman shared her story on the popular Facebook page ALDI Mums, encouraging others to be kind to retail staff and support them when they see poor treatment.
  • Hundreds of people praised the woman's kind act towards the ALDI worker, and some shared their own efforts to thank the customer service staff.
  • The story highlights the importance of kindness and treating retail workers with respect, as they often face difficult situations with customers.
Do you have any stories of random acts of kindness you’ve witnessed or like to share? Tell us about them in the comments section!
My wife and I shop at Aldi Forster. There is a young bloke who works there and sometimes is working the checkout. Now I am retired so every day is a good day. He always greats with a cheery smile and asks how are going. I always reply back with “and how are going”. His reply always puts a smile on my dile;
“Living the dream” is always his reply

Bloody fantastic

I have a tendency to make cards. I do this as a hobby & I make a lot of Thank you cards to pass on to the deserving public . My doctor's surgery is a fine example of good service also the nurse's station so they are often the people I give the cards to. I always have a nice word to say to the shelf fillers & staff at my local Aldi. On this pension day, they will get Thank you cards as well.

View attachment 16926

View attachment 16927

Key Takeaways

I usually shop at Woolies and IGA, the checkout operators at both stores will often load my bags into the trolly for me (I don't ask them too) and I have been asked more than once iff I would like someone to help me into the car park and load my bags into the car, I am not disabled in any way, I just have grey hair so I guess that designates me as an older person, who may need help. So Thoughtful.

Bravo to everyone who appreciates the help and kindness they receive from supermarket checkout operators. I mainly have home deliveries due to challenging transport and health issues and I would like to add how terrific the Woolies drivers are. They are a great bunch always with a smile and they carry my groceries for quite a distance to my granny flat without question. I never thought of a card but what a good idea. It's right to thank them for their help, consideration, and happy countenances. Bless them all.

View attachment 16926

View attachment 16927

Key Takeaways

I agree that we all can be kind, it doesn't cost anything to be courteous. I am glad I have encouraged at least one person to think of a Thank you card. I have found that people like to hang on to reminders that they are appreciated. My doctor for instance still has the first Thankyou card I gave her on display in her rooms. As I have said I make cards for all occasions & at Christmas, I made 62 for the residents of the care home my granddaughter works at. She of course wrote a little message to each one in them. She tells me some of them still have them displayed in their rooms.

• Love
Reactions: Gaena
Politeness & kindness go further than being rude, ungrateful and just being a pain in everyone's backside. I remember once in Copperart store that a customer was being really rude and said to the employee "The customer is always right." I couldn't help myself and said "No they're not. In fact 99.99 of the time their wrong."

Yep, that lady went as silent as the grave and just paid up and left the store.