Discover the Heartwarming Gift Queen Elizabeth Cherished from Prince Philip for 75 Years – Find Out What She Always Carried With Her!

Queen Elizabeth II, a figure of unwavering dignity and grace, was known for her steadfast adherence to royal protocol and her subtle yet significant ways of communicating with her staff through her handbag. But beyond the public eye, her handbag held a deeply personal significance, as it was the keeper of a tender memento from her beloved husband, Prince Philip, for an astonishing 75 years.

The late Queen's relationship with her handbag was multifaceted. It was not just an accessory but a tool for non-verbal cues during events and a repository for the essentials of daily royal engagements. However, the most touching aspect of her handbag's contents was a small metal make-up case, a gift from Prince Philip that served as a poignant reminder of their wedding in 1947. This item was not just a piece of vanity but a token of enduring love and shared history.

Phil Dampier, the author of 'What's in the Queen's Handbag: And Other Royal Secrets,' revealed to Hello! magazine the significance of this compact, which the Queen treasured as one of her most personal and prized possessions. It was a symbol of the private bond she shared with Prince Philip, a relationship that withstood the test of time and the scrutiny of public life.

18880078_10155166908167279_7457106620264460665_o.jpg
Queen Elizabeth always kept a metal makeup case, a sentimental gift from Prince Philip commemorating their 1947 wedding, in her purse. Credit: Facebook / Vogue

But the Queen's handbag was more than just a vessel for sentimental keepsakes. It also contained everyday items such as a handkerchief, reading glasses, and a pen, blending the practical with the personal. Moreover, she carried good-luck charms, including miniature dogs, horses, saddles, and brass horsewhips, gifts from her family that added a touch of whimsy and personal significance to her royal duties.

Phil Brown, the manager of the soccer team Hull City, once had the rare opportunity to glimpse inside the Queen's bag during a luncheon. He recounted to The Lady magazine his surprise at the contents, which included makeup, a coin purse, sweeteners for her coffee, and other 'normal stuff.' Brown's astonishment was not just at the contents but at the fact that the Queen carried a handbag at all, as he had assumed a lady-in-waiting would do so. For Queen Elizabeth, however, her handbag was akin to a comfort blanket, a piece of normalcy in the extraordinary life she led.

The revelation of the Queen's cherished gift from Prince Philip offers a glimpse into the personal life of a woman who was not only a monarch but also a wife, mother, and grandmother. It reminds us that behind the crown and the regal bearing, Queen Elizabeth II valued the personal connections and memories that shaped her life.

As we reflect on the Queen's legacy, it's heartwarming to consider the small, intimate ways in which she kept her loved ones close, even amidst the grandeur of her role. The small metal make-up case was more than just an object; it was a testament to a love story that spanned nearly eight decades, a story that continues to captivate and inspire.

Key Takeaways
  • Queen Elizabeth always kept a sentimental gift from Prince Philip in her purse, a metal make-up case to commemorate their 1947 wedding.
  • The compact was among her most personal and prized possessions, but her bag also contained everyday essentials like a handkerchief and reading glasses.
  • The Queen carried good-luck charms in her bag, including miniature dogs, horses, saddles, and brass horsewhips, gifts from her family.
  • Despite expecting her to have attendants carry her essentials, onlookers were surprised to find that Queen Elizabeth carried her own bag, which served as a form of comfort blanket for her.
Dear readers, as we cherish our own keepsakes and tokens of affection, let us remember the Queen's example of holding dear the gifts that speak to our hearts. What personal mementos do you carry with you, and what stories do they tell? Share with us in the comments below how you keep the memory of loved ones alive in your daily life.

Sponsored
I am now 67 years of age and continue to carry a part of my 21st birthday present from my Aunt and Uncle in Melbourne. {I live in Tasmania} . They sent me a dressing table set which originally consisted of a mirror on a long handle, with an attached brush with a handle, and a comb. This was an old dressing table gift given as a special present to a family member.

I still love my brush, now 46 years later, and will not part with it. Yes it does not have a handle anymore, looks 'grotty', but I keep it clean and it goes with me every day, everywhere. I will not part with it.

I have even advertised if anyone has an old-fashioned dressing table set, as it will not be long before I need to replace my very old hair brush.

Some young children have often asked is my hair brush a "dog brush'?" RUBBISH!!!!!! This brush does me justice and keeps my air well brushed and handy to place in my hand bag.

I will never forget my Auntie and Uncle's gift for my 21st birthday.

A thankful gift much appreciated for may years.

Jean Browning

Sorry but a book written about what the Queen carried in her handbag??? That would be an interesting read!

The queen also took her name as a keepsake from her husband. When Queen Elizabeth was very young, she could not pronounce her name as Elizabeth. Instead, she would say Lillybeth. The name stuck as an endearing love token between her and Prince Phillip.

If only Charlie would have taken a leaf out if his fathers book (if we can believe the story). He said very early in that he was not going to be the only king in history without a concubine.