Discover the bizarre truth behind microwave popcorn before it's cooked

We've all been there – it's a quiet night at home, and you're itching for a tasty treat. In those moments, microwave popcorn often comes to the rescue, filling our homes with that irresistible aroma and satisfying our craving for warm, buttery goodness.

But have you ever stopped to ponder what microwave popcorn looks like before the magic happens?

We’re always looking for interesting tidbits to keep you informed and entertained, and we recently came across some surprising information on social media about what microwave popcorn looks like before it's cooked.

Instead of the fluffy, mouth-watering pieces we've grown to love, the contents can only be described as… Well, gross.

Hold onto your hats, folks! It turns out that before the microwave works its magic, that bag contains a congealed chunk of salty corn kernels in hardened oily butter.

popcorn1.jpg
This photo was shared online. Credit: Reddit

However, not everyone was put off by the buttery mass, with some people believing it was ‘obvious’ what would be inside the bag.

Many were taken aback by the discovery, while others jokingly mentioned that opening a popcorn bag before microwaving it feels ‘illegal’.

Reactions on social media ranged from shock and surprise to seemingly knowing nods.

‘Thanks, I hate it,’ one user replied, while another chimed in: ‘This almost ruined popcorn for me. Almost.’

Some users were downright puzzled. 'Why is this the first time in history that someone has done this?' one pondered.

‘How did I never think to open up a microwave popcorn bag and look inside in my whole life? Now that I see the inside, I’d prefer to go back to thinking magic things happen inside,’ another stated.

popcorn2.jpg
One said the butter looked like white chocolate. Credit: Megha Mangal/Pexels

Someone else replied that they thought the butter looked like white chocolate, while a second said that after seeing the photo, they now know why butter is always ‘evenly distributed’ over the popcorn.

On the other hand, some popcorn enthusiasts were unfazed.

‘Don't know what else you were anticipating,’ one person said, and another added, ‘[It’s] exactly what you'd expect, right?’

‘It's exactly what it feels like. Do you people not massage the bag before you put it in the microwave?’ Someone else inquired.

Of course, knowing the way food is processed and prepared can sometimes be eye-opening, if not a bit unnerving.

So, for those who may now be seeking alternatives, some users suggested transferring the buttery kernels to a pot on the stove to cook them for a more traditional taste and feel.

One foodie recommended, ‘Transfer to a pot on the stove. Pop covered. Adds a little something, you’ll see.’

Others suggested using alternative fats for cooking, such as olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee, claiming it turns out even better.

Here's an added bonus for those who love microwave popcorn. One social media user wrote: ‘Fun fact, that little slit opening on the top of the bag after popping isn't just for steam to escape. If you turn the bag over and shake, the unpopped kernels will fall out.’
Key Takeaways
  • Foodies were surprised to discover what microwave popcorn looks like before it's cooked, with many describing the inside of the bag as containing a chunk of salty corn kernels in hardened, oily butter.
  • Some users were shocked and disgusted by the appearance, while others thought it was obvious what the contents of the bag would look like.
  • The discovery led to a discussion about the best ways to cook popcorn, with some recommending transferring the kernels to a pot on the stove for better results.
  • One person shared a popcorn trick, suggesting that the small opening at the top of the bag can be used to shake out any unpopped kernels after microwaving.
So, what are your thoughts on this surprising revelation? Will it change the way you look at microwave popcorn, or is it just part of the journey from bag to bowl? Let us know in the comments below!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricki and Shane/#
Sponsored
I will stick to my popcorn maker that uses heat and air alone. Maybe not to everyone’s taste but a lot healthier by far.

Would never buy this stuff I prefer to pop corn in a little oil a covered saucepan or a special popcorn popper ..not fats as shown or anything else included in the cooking. ew ew ew. It is a lazy era for food today and the most unhealthy with the excess of additives, fats and sugar so far..
Look around at all the chubby children now. As well as older folks. USA here we copy yet again..

Reactions: DrivingGirl
Would never buy this stuff I prefer to pop corn in a little oil a covered saucepan or a special popcorn popper ..not fats as shown or anything else included in the cooking. ew ew ew. It is a lazy era for food today and the most unhealthy with the excess of additives, fats and sugar so far..
Look around at all the chubby children now. As well as older folks. USA here we copy yet again..
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Such a nice snack and healthy too - when cooked as you suggest.

We've all been there – it's a quiet night at home, and you're itching for a tasty treat. In those moments, microwave popcorn often comes to the rescue, filling our homes with that irresistible aroma and satisfying our craving for warm, buttery goodness.

But have you ever stopped to ponder what microwave popcorn looks like before the magic happens?

We’re always looking for interesting tidbits to keep you informed and entertained, and we recently came across some surprising information on social media about what microwave popcorn looks like before it's cooked.

Instead of the fluffy, mouth-watering pieces we've grown to love, the contents can only be described as… Well, gross.

Hold onto your hats, folks! It turns out that before the microwave works its magic, that bag contains a congealed chunk of salty corn kernels in hardened oily butter.

View attachment 21029

However, not everyone was put off by the buttery mass, with some people believing it was ‘obvious’ what would be inside the bag.

Many were taken aback by the discovery, while others jokingly mentioned that opening a popcorn bag before microwaving it feels ‘illegal’.

Reactions on social media ranged from shock and surprise to seemingly knowing nods.

‘Thanks, I hate it,’ one user replied, while another chimed in: ‘This almost ruined popcorn for me. Almost.’

Some users were downright puzzled. 'Why is this the first time in history that someone has done this?' one pondered.

‘How did I never think to open up a microwave popcorn bag and look inside in my whole life? Now that I see the inside, I’d prefer to go back to thinking magic things happen inside,’ another stated.

View attachment 21030

Someone else replied that they thought the butter looked like white chocolate, while a second said that after seeing the photo, they now know why butter is always ‘evenly distributed’ over the popcorn.

‘Don't know what else you were anticipating,’ one person said, and another added, ‘[It’s] exactly what you'd expect, right?’

‘It's exactly what it feels like. Do you people not massage the bag before you put it in the microwave?’ Someone else inquired.

Of course, knowing the way food is processed and prepared can sometimes be eye-opening, if not a bit unnerving.

So, for those who may now be seeking alternatives, some users suggested transferring the buttery kernels to a pot on the stove to cook them for a more traditional taste and feel.

One foodie recommended, ‘Transfer to a pot on the stove. Pop covered. Adds a little something, you’ll see.’

Others suggested using alternative fats for cooking, such as olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee, claiming it turns out even better.

Here's an added bonus for those who love microwave popcorn. One social media user wrote: ‘Fun fact, that little slit opening on the top of the bag after popping isn't just for steam to escape. If you turn the bag over and shake, the unpopped kernels will fall out.’
Key Takeaways

• Foodies were surprised to discover what microwave popcorn looks like before it's cooked, with many describing the inside of the bag as containing a chunk of salty corn kernels in hardened, oily butter.
  • Some users were shocked and disgusted by the appearance, while others thought it was obvious what the contents of the bag would look like.
  • The discovery led to a discussion about the best ways to cook popcorn, with some recommending transferring the kernels to a pot on the stove for better results.
  • One person shared a popcorn trick, suggesting that the small opening at the top of the bag can be used to shake out any unpopped kernels after microwaving.
So, what are your thoughts on this surprising revelation? Will it change the way you look at microwave popcorn, or is it just part of the journey from bag to bowl? Let us know in the comments below!
Definitely, I'm making my own now and drizzle with melted butter after.

View attachment 21029

View attachment 21030

Key Takeaways

Don't eat it only the coloured stuff when I can get it

It's funny how we never really think about what's inside the bag before it gets all fluffy and delicious. It's like a behind-the-scenes look at the popcorn magic!
The reactions on social media are pretty entertaining, too. Some folks seem genuinely surprised, while others are taking it in stride like it's no big deal. 😄
As for alternatives, transferring the buttery kernels to a pot on the stove sounds like a tasty idea for a more traditional popcorn experience. And thanks for the tip about shaking out unpopped kernels through that little slit on top – that's a game-changer!
I wanted to mention that once, we threw a party and found a popcorn machine rental Montreal for our event. It was a hit, and everyone loved the fresh popcorn!

Last edited: