Discover the best cooking oil to elevate your dinner experience!

Did you know that the type of oil you choose for cooking can upgrade the taste of your dish?

From oils made from pressing seeds and nuts all the way to olive oil, each oil has its distinct flavour and pairs best with different types of meals.

So, how do you find the right type of oil for the dinner recipes you love?

Read on to see which type of oil would be best for your dinner tonight!

photo.png
Certain types of oils are best used for certain types of dishes. Image source: fabrikasimf on Freepik.

AVOCADO OIL

What it's best for: Mayonnaise, fried eggs, crispy onions, and pan-seared fish.

Avocado oil has a mild, buttery, fruity flavour and none of the bitterness of olive oil. Look for one with a high smoke point, such as The Grove Gourmet Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. Plus, its more neutral taste means it won't swamp the flavours of your dish.

SESAME OIL

What it's best for: Marinated tofu, stir-fried pak choi, peanut butter, noodles, and rice.

Ah, the wonderful nutty and toasty taste of sesame oil! Its forever-favourable flavour is great for lifting the taste of bland rice dishes, but also makes for a great dressing when mixed with other condiments.

‘Combined with rice vinegar, it makes a strong-tasting dressing. A few drops in soy sauce or teriyaki makes a dip for steamed buns or gyozas,’ Chef Claire Bannerman said.

You can check out Lee Kum Kee’s Pure Sesame Oil for your next stir-fry dinner!

COCONUT OIL

What it's best for: Broccoli soup, mild curries, brownies, and vegan cookies.

Coconut oil solidifies and becomes opaque at room temperature, and has a sweet flavour that works perfectly with dishes with a bit of spice, such as mild curries. But you can also use it to make vegan bakes instead of butter!

Check out this Macro Organic Virgin Coconut Oil from Woolworths for your next brownie bake!

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

What it's best for: Green salads, mozzarella, tomatoes, pasta dishes, dark chocolate, and vanilla ice cream.

Yes, extra virgin olive oil is a great option not only for savoury dishes such as salads and pasta but desserts too! Drizzle it over vanilla ice cream, or pair it with a dark chocolate dessert and some sea salt.

We recommend going for Woolworths’ Extra Virgin Olive Oil to get the best value for your money.

RAPESEED OIL

What it's best for: Crab, roast potatoes, breaded chicken goujons, and winter salads.

Rapeseed oil comes with lots of Omega 3 goodness. It has a tasty mellow taste and can be used for cooking and baking. The smoke point of rapeseed oil is high, making it perfect for roasting vegetables and more!

You may have heard people referring to rapeseed oil as canola oil. Are they similar?

Canola oil is indeed rapeseed oil, just with less erucic acid and glucosinolates, making it safe for consumption. You can try this Canola Oil from Woolworths for your next winter salad dish!

Key Takeaways
  • The oil we choose can enhance the flavour of our meals, much like the wine we pair with our food.
  • Distinct oils are recommended for specific dishes; for instance, avocado oil is great for pan-seared fish and fried eggs, while sesame oil is ideal for stir-fried pak choi and rice dishes.
  • Other oils frequently used in cooking include coconut oil for mild curries and vegan cookies, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil for salads and pasta dishes, and rapeseed oil for roast potatoes and breaded chicken goujons.
Do you have any other tips on using the different types of oils available in the supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Shane/#
Sponsored
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I use none of those. I use either sunflower oil or canola oil. I want an all purpose oil or butter 🤷‍♀️

I don’t deep fry, so basically the only oil I use is olive oil, with the exception of a little sesame oil in Asian recipes.

Did you know that the type of oil you choose for cooking can upgrade the taste of your dish?

From oils made from pressing seeds and nuts all the way to olive oil, each oil has its distinct flavour and pairs best with different types of meals.

View attachment 28496
Certain types of oils are best used for certain types of dishes. Image source: fabrikasimf on Freepik.

AVOCADO OIL

Avocado oil has a mild, buttery, fruity flavour and none of the bitterness of olive oil. Look for one with a high smoke point, such as The Grove Gourmet Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. Plus, its more neutral taste means it won't swamp the flavours of your dish.

SESAME OIL

What it's best for: Marinated tofu, stir-fried pak choi, peanut butter, noodles, and rice.

Ah, the wonderful nutty and toasty taste of sesame oil! Its forever-favourable flavour is great for lifting the taste of bland rice dishes, but also makes for a great dressing when mixed with other condiments.

‘Combined with rice vinegar, it makes a strong-tasting dressing. A few drops in soy sauce or teriyaki makes a dip for steamed buns or gyozas,’ Chef Claire Bannerman said.

COCONUT OIL

Coconut oil solidifies and becomes opaque at room temperature, and has a sweet flavour that works perfectly with dishes with a bit of spice, such as mild curries. But you can also use it to make vegan bakes instead of butter!

Check out this Macro Organic Virgin Coconut Oil from Woolworths for your next brownie bake!

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

What it's best for: Green salads, mozzarella, tomatoes, pasta dishes, dark chocolate, and vanilla ice cream.

Yes, extra virgin olive oil is a great option not only for savoury dishes such as salads and pasta but desserts too! Drizzle it over vanilla ice cream, or pair it with a dark chocolate dessert and some sea salt.

We recommend going for Woolworths’ Extra Virgin Olive Oil to get the best value for your money.

RAPESEED OIL

What it's best for: Crab, roast potatoes, breaded chicken goujons, and winter salads.

Rapeseed oil comes with lots of Omega 3 goodness. It has a tasty mellow taste and can be used for cooking and baking. The smoke point of rapeseed oil is high, making it perfect for roasting vegetables and more!

You may have heard people referring to rapeseed oil as canola oil. Are they similar?

Canola oil is indeed rapeseed oil, just with less erucic acid and glucosinolates, making it safe for consumption. You can try this Canola Oil from Woolworths for your next winter salad dish!

Key Takeaways

• The oil we choose can enhance the flavour of our meals, much like the wine we pair with our food.
  • Distinct oils are recommended for specific dishes; for instance, avocado oil is great for pan-seared fish and fried eggs, while sesame oil is ideal for stir-fried pak choi and rice dishes.
  • Other oils frequently used in cooking include coconut oil for mild curries and vegan cookies, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil for salads and pasta dishes, and rapeseed oil for roast potatoes and breaded chicken goujons.
Do you have any other tips on using the different types of oils available in the supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!
I still use lard or dripping depending on what cooking, thats what I was taught to use. If I was having beef then roast my spuds in dripping, pork or chicken I'd use lard, mind you I've since had my stomach removed!!!!!.

I am surprised that Rice Bran oil was not explained . I use it for stir fries as it is baked very fast and I turn up the gas to high . Rice Bran oil has a very high smoking point . I also like peanut oil . When I make some good crackers I add some sesame oil, gives a lovely taste . Olive oil I use for salads and dressings. Coconut oil for baking if required .

View attachment 28496

AVOCADO OIL

SESAME OIL

COCONUT OIL

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL

RAPESEED OIL

Key Takeaways

Oils an't oils 🛢 Sol 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The person who wrote this - are they a Naturopath. If not, the have no right to recommend any oil