Discover the $6 Bunnings tip that’s keeping Aussies safe amid a growing crime wave

As you know, we here at the Seniors Discount Club are always on the lookout for handy tips and tricks to share with our members. Today, we have a story of a clever and easy DIY solution, empowering Aussie homeowners and renters alike to take their home security into their own hands as we face a worrying increase in crime rates.

In Cairns, where crime has been steadily on the rise over the past two years, concerned renters are taking to social media to share how to 'add extra security' to their homes without breaking the bank.

One local resident has suggested a tried-and-tested tip that only requires 'doweling' or timber rods available at our favourite home improvement store Bunnings for a mere $6.

'Cut the doweling to the length of your closed window. It must fit tightly into where the window slides,' the savvy local offered.

'In addition to this, you can also buy sliding window lock tabs and put two on each window, one at the top and one at the bottom,' he continued.

1686201686584.png
An old tip involves using a piece of wood from Bunnings to secure windows and doors by jamming them shut. Source: Facebook/CairnsCrimesandAlerts

This simple yet effective solution is meant to deter 'opportunistic' thieves looking for a quick and quiet way to access your home. Bathroom windows should not be forgotten, as they are often overlooked and left unlocked.

The crime rates in Far North Queensland have shown a concerning upward trend, with unlawful entry offences more than doubling between 2020 and 2022.

Additionally, incidents of robberies and property damage have also witnessed an increase during the same period.

1686201686649.png
Cairns has been experiencing a significant increase in reported cases of vandalism and burglaries. Source: Facebook/CairnsCrimesandAlerts

The community has been deeply affected by recent incidents, including acts of vandalism by youths targeting properties and causing damage to windows in homes under construction. In light of these developments, residents are expressing a strong sense of urgency for finding a solution to address these issues.

The escalating crime rates have sparked an interest in DIY security measures, as well as calls for law enforcement and government involvement.

Queensland's government recently announced the construction of a new youth detention centre in response to the youth crime surge and is considering another one in Cairns.

More Security Measures​

If that $6 Bunnings tip isn't enough to put your mind at ease, there are a few more security measures to consider that cater to various budgets and needs.
  • Upgrade locks on main entry doors to more secure options, such as deadbolts
  • Install battery-operated alarms on windows and doors for added security
  • Invest in solar-powered or motion sensor lights for outdoor areas to deter criminals
  • Practise personal safety habits like regularly checking and replacing alarm batteries and ensuring all windows and doors are locked
  • Be a proactive community member by checking on neighbours and fostering a sense of togetherness
  • Consider joining or starting a neighbourhood watch group to collaborate against crime

Remember, combining these security measures can significantly enhance the safety of our homes.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie renters in Cairns are turning to a $6 Bunnings tip to feel safe as crime rates surge in the city.
  • A local resident suggested using doweling or timber to wedge into the door and window frames to prevent thieves from entering properties.
  • The number of unlawful entry offences has more than doubled between 2020 and 2022 in Far North Queensland, prompting residents to increase their home security.
  • The Queensland government announced plans to build a new youth detention centre in response to the rising youth crime rate.
It is important for communities to join forces and support one another in addressing these concerns, working collaboratively to create a safer environment for all.

Dear members, we encourage you to stay vigilant and look out for our neighbours. Also, we leave you with a question: what additional tips or strategies do you have for improving home security, especially for renters?

We value your insights and ideas in our collective effort to create a safer living environment. Let's continue sharing and learning from each other to make our homes more secure and our communities stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I think these wouldn't stop the thieves, if they wanted to get in they would smash the windows.

Lights won't deter them either

When I went away last weekend I told my best security I was going away ....my neighbour across the road

I think neighbourhood watch is the best thing and add signs that it is a neighbourhood watch area

we have had dowel pieces in our sliding doors for years. Thieves I magine look for the quickest, easiest places to get into and they want to donit quietly, not draw attention to themselves smashing windows. That just brings neighbours and police to them. For little expense it is worth it. No one has tried to break into our place and may it stay that way🤞

sensor lights are the best option, along with a fake security camera (but a good quality one) that has a blue light flashing to deter would be smash and grab thieves. Timer lights to mimic someone is home. A piece of dowel will stop someone that tries for the easiest target entry, but won't stop a quick smash and grab of items visible through windows. So many relatively inexpensive security cameras out there that connect to apps on mobiles to alert owner of any suspicious movements etc.

Many years ago my cousin who was living alone went to work and forgot her keys. She rang me to see if I could help. we tried many things but just could not budge any of the windows BECAUSE she had used the dowel idea eventually we had to get the window broken. Not one neighbour came to see what the noise was. My father many years before had advised this idea of the dowel but that was also in the days of very little break-ins.

As you know, we here at the Seniors Discount Club are always on the lookout for handy tips and tricks to share with our members. Today, we have a story of a clever and easy DIY solution, empowering Aussie homeowners and renters alike to take their home security into their own hands as we face a worrying increase in crime rates.

In Cairns, where crime has been steadily on the rise over the past two years, concerned renters are taking to social media to share how to 'add extra security' to their homes without breaking the bank.

One local resident has suggested a tried-and-tested tip that only requires 'doweling' or timber rods available at our favourite home improvement store Bunnings for a mere $6.

'Cut the doweling to the length of your closed window. It must fit tightly into where the window slides,' the savvy local offered.

'In addition to this, you can also buy sliding window lock tabs and put two on each window, one at the top and one at the bottom,' he continued.

View attachment 21822
An old tip involves using a piece of wood from Bunnings to secure windows and doors by jamming them shut. Source: Facebook/CairnsCrimesandAlerts

This simple yet effective solution is meant to deter 'opportunistic' thieves looking for a quick and quiet way to access your home. Bathroom windows should not be forgotten, as they are often overlooked and left unlocked.

The crime rates in Far North Queensland have shown a concerning upward trend, with unlawful entry offences more than doubling between 2020 and 2022.

Additionally, incidents of robberies and property damage have also witnessed an increase during the same period.

View attachment 21821
Cairns has been experiencing a significant increase in reported cases of vandalism and burglaries. Source: Facebook/CairnsCrimesandAlerts

The community has been deeply affected by recent incidents, including acts of vandalism by youths targeting properties and causing damage to windows in homes under construction. In light of these developments, residents are expressing a strong sense of urgency for finding a solution to address these issues.

The escalating crime rates have sparked an interest in DIY security measures, as well as calls for law enforcement and government involvement.

Queensland's government recently announced the construction of a new youth detention centre in response to the youth crime surge and is considering another one in Cairns.

More Security Measures​

If that $6 Bunnings tip isn't enough to put your mind at ease, there are a few more security measures to consider that cater to various budgets and needs.
  • Upgrade locks on main entry doors to more secure options, such as deadbolts
  • Install battery-operated alarms on windows and doors for added security
  • Invest in solar-powered or motion sensor lights for outdoor areas to deter criminals
  • Practise personal safety habits like regularly checking and replacing alarm batteries and ensuring all windows and doors are locked
  • Be a proactive community member by checking on neighbours and fostering a sense of togetherness
  • Consider joining or starting a neighbourhood watch group to collaborate against crime

Remember, combining these security measures can significantly enhance the safety of our homes.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie renters in Cairns are turning to a $6 Bunnings tip to feel safe as crime rates surge in the city.
  • A local resident suggested using doweling or timber to wedge into the door and window frames to prevent thieves from entering properties.
  • The number of unlawful entry offences has more than doubled between 2020 and 2022 in Far North Queensland, prompting residents to increase their home security.
  • The Queensland government announced plans to build a new youth detention centre in response to the rising youth crime rate.
It is important for communities to join forces and support one another in addressing these concerns, working collaboratively to create a safer environment for all.

Dear members, we encourage you to stay vigilant and look out for our neighbours. Also, we leave you with a question: what additional tips or strategies do you have for improving home security, especially for renters?

We value your insights and ideas in our collective effort to create a safer living environment. Let's continue sharing and learning from each other to make our homes more secure and our communities stronger.
Living at one of the northern beaches of Cairns, I can attest to the high crime rate hitting this area and we have been using dowels in our windows and doors for years.

I too have watchdogs but ours are never let in the house & they know not to try to come in. Bruce is allowed to come in if there is a Thunderstorm both for his sake & mine as they are both crossed with great Danes there is little room for them to be house dogs plus I don't like dogs in the house.

Reactions: Ricci
sensor lights are the best option, along with a fake security camera (but a good quality one) that has a blue light flashing to deter would be smash and grab thieves. Timer lights to mimic someone is home. A piece of dowel will stop someone that tries for the easiest target entry, but won't stop a quick smash and grab of items visible through windows. So many relatively inexpensive security cameras out there that connect to apps on mobiles to alert owner of any suspicious movements etc.
Whilst the sensor lights, dummy cameras and a blue flashing light etc might have been good deterrents in times gone by, I am not sure that is the case now, especially in parts of QLD. As we have seen recently on the nightly news the little thugs film themselves doing the crime and then post it to social media as a look at me boast! They also don't care about 'real' security cameras either. And when/if they are caught they are let off without even a slap on the wrist.

So all these tips and hacks for securing our property are really just to not make it easy for them. At least we can make them work for their ill-gotten gains and show our insurance companies that at least we tried to protect ourselves.

I've been doing this for years not only on my windows but also on all the sliding doors. Doesn't mean they little a*s*holes can't get in when you're not home coz they can always smash a window but it has detered them from getting in after breaking both the lock on the sliding front verandah screen door and glass door of my high set home when I was away one weekend last year.

I use Google and a number of smart devices to look after my house when I'm not home.

Lights in my family room, my bedroom and my son's former bedroom come on at a set time every evening (I change the time according to the time of year) and turn off at a set time. So it looks like people are home.

Smart globes are fantastic! Not only are they cheap to run, if there are several downlights on a single switch, each downlight can be managed independent of the others. So instead of having six lights on in the living room, I can choose to turn on the lights I really need.

At 7:30 am Google wishes me a good morning and tells me the weather before turning on the radio until 8:30 am.

I have motion sensors in the hallway opposite the front door and also in the family room and there is a sensor on the back door if it is opened. Any of them going off, alarms me on my mobile regardless of where I happen to be.

False sense of security. I used to put the dowels in the windows until my ex-defacto (a window installer) simply used his bare hands to slide the window up and off the rails and placed the window inside without breaking it. I learned from that experience and drilled tiny holes through the bottom of the frame and made sure to catch the bottom sash of the window. Then a simple small nail to capture both sides of the frame and window sash. You can drill holes at a little off the locked position to allow locking a small opening of the window for fresh air. Works every time. Have done this for 45 years. at every house I have owned.

I have these fitted at front and back doors/patio they can be set as door bell or alarm
there cheap and there not as loud as they say but they work well --enough noise to scare them away and let you know someone [or a dog or cat or even a bird is there
I have 3 and have recommended them to many people
I am a handyman [27 years] and in the last 6 months I have fitted more dead locks than in the last 20 years
it is really bad in cairns at present [and elswhere all over oz with kids out of control]
cheap and effective -use the key to lock the security screen at night not the little tab lever