Discover the $5 magic secret: How this Woolworths shopper refreshed their air conditioner

Keeping our homes clean is important, and we often go to great lengths to ensure that everything is spotless.

However, one area we sometimes neglect is the maintenance of our appliances. A prime example of this is the air conditioner.

Over time, air conditioners accumulate dirt, dust and other debris in the air filters, often resulting in poor performance – or worse..

If you haven't cleaned your air conditioner in a while (or ever), then it's probably time to give it a once-over.

One savvy homeowner took to the popular Facebook group Mums Who Clean to share her air conditioner’s ‘deep clean’ method.

53d7c49ab3eef718dcd53f01b55d113b5d0f3217.png

The homeowner shared a photo of her air conditioning filter that was left uncleaned for two years. Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean.

'Here’s a picture of my air conditioning filters,' she wrote in the post.

'I have not cleaned them in two years, and you guys - they were DIS-GUS-TING!’

‘The dust actually turned to sludge the minute I tried to rinse it off. The high-powered spray nozzle on my shower head couldn’t even lift it.'

Using Lectric Washing Soda, water and a toothbrush, she was able to clean the filters until they looked 'good as new'.

‘I’ll definitely be keeping up on cleaning them regularly from now on,’ she added.

a45db362524d4d8e4b7d6a032f0c11ffcd178744.png

One area of the air conditioner’s air filter after the mum cleaned it using her method. Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean.

Lectric Washing Soda is available at Woolies for just $5, making this an affordable cleaning solution for every household.

We also previously covered a story about how homeowners used this cleaning product for a plethora of other purposes. So, it’s unsurprising that others are still raving about the product.

photo-11.jpg
Side-by-side comparison of the air filter before and after the cleaning process. Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean.

Other group members were grateful for the reminder to clean their air filters.

One person wrote: ‘I should probably do mine also.’

‘I’ve never cleaned mine either!’ another confessed.

The post also prompted a flurry of activity, with some members sharing their cleaning tips.

One user suggested: ‘You should vacuum them first before washing.’

‘I also cleaned air conditioner vents recently and found that soaking them in Napisan and hot water for a few mins (pouring it over them actually) made it much easier to get out,’ another shared.

‘I then rinsed with the hose and it all came out.’

A third chimed in: ‘I rub Domestos into the filters and let it sit for a couple of minutes, give a scrub and it comes straight off with really hot water.’

Key Takeaways
  • A homeowner discovered a shockingly dirty air conditioner filter, which she had not cleaned in two years.
  • The homeowner successfully cleaned the filter using Lectric Washing Soda, water, and a soft toothbrush.
  • Lectric Washing Soda is available at Woolworths for $5.
  • The Facebook post in the Mums Who Clean group prompted others to check and clean their air conditioning filters and share their cleaning tips.

No matter your preferred method, regular maintenance of your air conditioner filters is vital, ensuring your home stays clean and your appliances run smoothly.

So, there you have it, folks! Do you have other tips for cleaning air conditioners? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Keeping our homes clean is important, and we often go to great lengths to ensure that everything is spotless.

However, one area we sometimes neglect is the maintenance of our appliances. A prime example of this is the air conditioner.

Over time, air conditioners accumulate dirt, dust and other debris in the air filters, often resulting in poor performance – or worse..

If you haven't cleaned your air conditioner in a while (or ever), then it's probably time to give it a once-over.

One savvy homeowner took to the popular Facebook group Mums Who Clean to share her air conditioner’s ‘deep clean’ method.

The homeowner shared a photo of her air conditioning filter that was left uncleaned for two years. Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean.

‘The dust actually turned to sludge the minute I tried to rinse it off. The high-powered spray nozzle on my shower head couldn’t even lift it.'

Using Lectric Washing Soda, water and a toothbrush, she was able to clean the filters until they looked 'good as new'.

‘I’ll definitely be keeping up on cleaning them regularly from now on,’ she added.

One area of the air conditioner’s air filter after the mum cleaned it using her method. Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean.

Lectric Washing Soda is available at Woolies for just $5, making this an affordable cleaning solution for every household.

We also previously covered a story about how homeowners used this cleaning product for a plethora of other purposes. So, it’s unsurprising that others are still raving about the product.

Side-by-side comparison of the air filter before and after the cleaning process. Credit: Facebook/Mums Who Clean.

The post also prompted a flurry of activity, with some members sharing their cleaning tips.

‘I also cleaned air conditioner vents recently and found that soaking them in Napisan and hot water for a few mins (pouring it over them actually) made it much easier to get out,’ another shared.

A third chimed in: ‘I rub Domestos into the filters and let it sit for a couple of minutes, give a scrub and it comes straight off with really hot water.’

Key Takeaways

A homeowner discovered a shockingly dirty air conditioner filter, which she had not cleaned in two years.

The homeowner successfully cleaned the filter using Lectric Washing Soda, water, and a soft toothbrush.

Lectric Washing Soda is available at Woolworths for $5.

The Facebook post in the Mums Who Clean group prompted others to check and clean their air conditioning filters and share their cleaning tips.

No matter your preferred method, regular maintenance of your air conditioner filters is vital, ensuring your home stays clean and your appliances run smothly.

So, there you have it, folks! Do you have other tips for cleaning air conditioners? Share them with us in the comments below!

I would be so embarrassed to show this or admit that I never cleaned it in 2 years .

I clean mine at the start of summer and at the end. Abd every clean it actually doesn't look like it needs cleaning

I don't use it in winter as I have a Slow Combustion heater.
I share your embarressment Suzanne, I have not cleaned our filters in the 3 years that we have lived here, the reason sounds like I am just lazy but honestly it is because of the position of the air con on the wall. It is high enough that a ladder needs to be used (I can't climb a ladder) the other reason is our TV is positioned beneath it, too large and heavy for me to move. I guess it is a 2 person job, will have to persuade my husband to help by telling him it is not really house work (my job) but home maintenance (his job).

View attachment 16459

Key Takeaways

• A homeowner discovered a shockingly dirty air conditioner filter, which she had not cleaned in two years.
  • The homeowner successfully cleaned the filter using Lectric Washing Soda, water, and a soft toothbrush.
  • The Facebook post in the Mums Who Clean group prompted others to check and clean their air conditioning filters and share their cleaning tips.

No matter your preferred method, regular maintenance of your air conditioner filters is vital, ensuring your home stays clean and your appliances run smoothly.

I take my filters out twice a year before summer and winter. It’s amazing as to how dirty they get, even in that short time. I soak mine in hot water with dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush.

I share your embarressment Suzanne, I have not cleaned our filters in the 3 years that we have lived here, the reason sounds like I am just lazy but honestly it is because of the position of the air con on the wall. It is high enough that a ladder needs to be used (I can't climb a ladder) the other reason is our TV is positioned beneath it, too large and heavy for me to move. I guess it is a 2 person job, will have to persuade my husband to help by telling him it is not really house work (my job) but home maintenance (his job).
I'm lucky my dinning table is right underneath it so I climb onto the table and can reach it with ease .

Tell hubby it is part of home maintenance and he should do it.

By not cleaning regularly you won't receive the full performance of it and will also result in higher electricity cost.

Good luck hopefully hubby will help you

View attachment 16459

Key Takeaways

The filters are easy to clean and I clean my regularly. It's the blades and inside the air con that can't be accessed easily, if at all, that are hard to clean. They can accumulate mould, which is much worse and a health risk.

The filters are easy to clean and I clean my regularly. It's the blades and inside the air con that can't be accessed easily, if at all, that are hard to clean. They can accumulate mould, which is much worse and a health risk.
Do you need to clean those blades. I've tried and thought I would damage them

Last edited:
Our air conditioners get cleaned and tested once a year by professionals. Two guys turn up, one at the unit outside and one inside, they work their magic and disappear again till next year. The whole exercise takes about 15/20 minutes per house and we're good to go! :)

Our air conditioners get cleaned and tested once a year by professionals. Two guys turn up, one at the unit outside and one inside, they work their magic and disappear again till next year. The whole exercise takes about 15/20 minutes per house and we're good to go! :)
I say to hubby I'm sure something needs to be cleaned from the outside but he says no just the filters inside . Now you have ne questioning this . Maybe someone knows

Make sure at least three others are there whilst your husband climbs the ladder. Two to hold the tv in case it is accidentally knocked by your husband's feet. The other, you, to hold the ladder, plus guide your husband's feet especially when he comes down and to take the filters from your husband when he hands them to you. Then, when filters going back in, three again but in verse, You hand the filters to your husband when he places them back in and be ready to grab them in case one falls so it can be caught before it hits the tv, especially the screen.

I would be so embarrassed to show this or admit that I never cleaned it in 2 years .

I clean mine at the start of summer and at the end. Abd every clean it actually doesn't look like it needs cleaning

I don't use it in winter as I have a Slow Combustion heater.
I have just had mine professionally cleaned. I clean the filters every 6 months but was shocked by the mechanic saying it should be every 3 months. I suppose I can understand this in Queensland's climate. He left it smelling nice and clean and i got a spray from him that you can get at Bunnings called Glitz Green AntiBacteria Eucalyptus spray which you spray on the filters and the fins in the air conditioner. Leaves it smelling really nice. It is such a hard job getting up the ladder but well worth while.

From what I understand, the outside air-con motor is different from the inside air-con. If you need it for the outside of your house, then it's an air-con technician, not an air-con cleaning person. The cleaning is for the inside air-con.

Do you need to clean those blades. I've tried and thought I would damage them
Mine had built up chunks of mould. So I used a soft, thin, wide paint brush as the fan was spinning. It dislodged most of the chunks. I had sprayed it earlier with 1 part vinegar, 10 parts water, after doing online research. Later I sprayed it with antibacterial spray (Glen20 type).

The back of the air con still looks dirty, but hopefully any mould is dead.

Reactions: Ricci
Make sure at least three others are there whilst your husband climbs the ladder. Two to hold the tv in case it is accidentally knocked by your husband's feet. The other, you, to hold the ladder, plus guide your husband's feet especially when he comes down and to take the filters from your husband when he hands them to you. Then, when filters going back in, three again but in verse, You hand the filters to your husband when he places them back in and be ready to grab them in case one falls so it can be caught before it hits the tv, especially the screen.
Yeah I can just see that happening (Not) Husband thinks I am doubting his ability if I suggest someone to help him and I can just see him aiming a kick at me or anyone else who attempts to guide his feet on the ladder, my comment makes him sound like an a hole, he is not, honestly, he just thinks that anyone trying to help him with physical jobs is questioning his manhood. Sigh.......

Reactions: Ricci