Discover the $3.50 secret that can easily clean multiple items at home

The secret to a sparkling clean home might be hiding in your bathroom cabinet, and it's not what you'd expect.

Forget about expensive, chemical-laden cleaning products.

The answer to your cleaning woes could be as simple as a $3.50 pack of 48 Denture Tablets from your local Woolworths.

Yes, you read that right.

Denture tablets, the effervescent tablets used to clean dentures, can be repurposed to clean various areas and items in your home, leaving them looking as good as new.

This budget-friendly cleaning tip is not only easy on your wallet but also a safer, less toxic alternative to many conventional cleaning products.

SDC Images (20).png
Denture tablets are a cheap way to clean common household items. Image source: Instagram/@lynsey_queenofclean.

The European Denture Centre explains that denture tablets contain ingredients like sodium bicarbonate (bicarb soda or baking soda), citric acid, and sodium carbonate (washing soda).

These ingredients are well known for their cleaning prowess.

They work by using chemical oxidants to remove stains and bacteria, even from hard-to-reach areas.

However, it's important to note that while denture tablets can be used for cleaning around the house, household cleaners should not be used to clean dentures.

Lynsey Crombie, also known as the Queen of Clean, is a big advocate of using denture tablets for household cleaning.

In a recent video posted on social media, she shared several ways to use these fizzy tablets to clean various items around the house.

Here are some of the cleaning tips Crombie shared:

1. Toilet bowl cleaner: Drop a tablet into the toilet bowl, let it fizz, and then scrub with a toilet brush.

2. Rangehood filters: Fill a sink with water, add a couple of denture tablets and your greasy rangehood filters, then lightly scrub.

3. Tea and coffee-stained mugs: Fill the mug with boiling water, add a denture tablet, let it fizz, then rinse and clean as usual.

4. Flower vases: Fill the vase three-quarters full with water, add a denture tablet, let it fizz, then empty and rinse.

5. Sponges: Place sponges in a tub, add hot water and a denture tablet.

6. Stained glass dishes: Fill the dish with hot water, add a denture tablet, let it fizz, then scrub off the baked-on food.

7. Toothbrush holder: Fill the holder with water, add a denture tablet, let it fizz, then rinse.

8. Descale a kettle: Fill the kettle with water, add a denture tablet, let it soak, then scrub if needed.

9. Stained plastic containers: Fill the container with warm water, add a denture tablet, let it soak overnight, then rinse and clean as usual.

10. Showerheads: Fill a plastic bag with warm water and a denture tablet, secure it over the showerhead, let it soak for a few hours, then scrub off any remaining mineral build-up.

11. Tiles and grout: Dissolve a few denture tablets in hot water, spray the solution over the area you want to clean, let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse off.

You can watch Lynsey’s full video below:

Video source: Instagram/@lynsey_queenofclean.

Key Takeaways
  • Denture tablets, which are inexpensive household items, can be used to effectively clean various areas and items in your home.
  • These tablets contain cleaning agents like sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, and sodium carbonate, making them suitable for removing stains and bacteria.
  • Lynsey Crombie, also known as the Queen of Clean, shared several cleaning tips using denture tablets in a video posted on social media.
  • The tips covered in the article include using denture tablets for cleaning items such as toilet bowls, rangehood filters, tea-stained mugs, and more.

Have you tried using denture tablets for cleaning? Do you have any other unconventional cleaning tips to share? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Love this idea! I've been using the Milton tablets that I used to use for baby bottles back in the day, but denture tablets sound like an even better idea

I’ve often done number 7, but I will be trying numbers 1, 3, 5 snd 8 can’t wait to get home and do my kettle, I was going to try coke and boil it up but I have dentures and buy tablets every month so using a few for cleaning won’t hurt 😜

I’ve often done number 7, but I will be trying numbers 1, 3, 5 snd 8 can’t wait to get home and do my kettle, I was going to try coke and boil it up but I have dentures and buy tablets every month so using a few for cleaning won’t hurt 😜
white vinegar and water for your jug half fill it boil let it sit and bingo clean.

Reactions: Liz
Another use for denture tabs is to run one through your espresso coffee machine when the line needs cleaning. Denture tabs are a much cheaper option to commercial coffee machine tablets or liquid, which can cost up to $15.

pretty expensive way ...try about an egg cup full of bleach and leave for a while and then rinse out...a $2 bottle of bleach will last about 6 months...also good for cutting boards etc...just leave on for a while and will self clean, I do all my mugs and glasses weekly... just dont use metal containers and utensils ...it will kill the the bleach

I use them to clean the seals around fridge and freezer and front load washing machine - works well.

Putting half a lemon in your jug, or just lemon juice and boiling it is also a great cleaning method.

Yep just DON"T use them on Dentures! (actually DON'T use any brand on your dentures) The denture cleaner tablets and paste can erode/weaken your dentures! This info was told to me by my dentist as i have a top set. Instead use a brush and Sunlight Soap or a mild soap, scrub and rinse well. This cleans them and does not harm them at all - no pitting or erosion and no weakness in them plus they come out clean!

Dentures are not cheap and if you get them free you can only do so every so many years and often the next set does not fit right (well that can happen after any reline too but eventually they fix it). So if you can save damage to them a,ll the better!

As for cleaning a lot of things i use EXIT SOAP - harmless to most surfaces and very effective. Just not on the dentures (don't think that one would work to well considering where they go)