Discover the 15-year-old's secret to slashing toll costs for Aussie drivers

While most 15-year-olds are probably more concerned about their homework or what's happening on social media, entrepreneur Henry Coward has been devising a creative way for Australian drivers to save on tolls in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. A talented Brisbane student, Coward has launched 'Tollz,' an ingenious cashback service that offers motorists money back to spend on tolls when they shop with participating retailers.

These retailers are no small fries either, with big names like Big W, HelloFresh, Subway, Virgin, and Liquorland among those taking part. The cashback amounts earned are then applied to the driver’s nominated Linkt toll account, helping them save money while still enjoying the convenience of using toll roads.

1684910166825.png
Brisbane student, Coward, launched Tollz, an innovative cashback service that rewards motorists with money back for toll expenses when they shop at participating retailers. Photo by Ryan West

The Tollz journey began when Coward won the University of Queensland Young Entrepreneurs competition, exclaiming, 'I am so grateful for the University of Queensland Young Entrepreneurs competition for pushing me to think outside the box.' Entrants were asked to find solutions to local problems, and Coward took inspiration from his own family's struggles with costly toll charges.

'My family uses Brisbane’s toll roads a lot, driving to and from work and ferrying me and my siblings to extra-curricular activities,' Coward said. 'Toll roads are a great way to save time and stress, but I know they are also expensive, so a big part of Tollz is making these roads accessible to more people by allowing them to turn their everyday expenses into free toll trips.'

Coward was excited when he first realised how toll costs could be covered through the cashback program, explaining, 'It was a no-brainer idea' that simultaneously supports local businesses, saves on transportation costs, and encourages people to use toll roads more efficiently. Coward's parents can attest to the usefulness of the system, having earned hundreds of dollars in toll credit so far, covering their next 30 toll trips at no extra cost. 'And all they had to do was sign up to Tollz.com.au and buy the clothes, coffees, food and travel they were spending money on anyway,' he said.

The young entrepreneur has teamed up with the cashback provider, Super-Rewards, and already boasts over 300 happy users of his Tollz system. But he’s not stopping there. Coward has big plans: 'We aim to expand the service to public transport in the coming months and offer cashback on Opal, Myki and Go Cards, as well.'

How can Aussie motorists take advantage of Coward's Tollz system, you ask? They'll need to create a Tollz account and link their Linkt toll account. From there, they can earn cashback by shopping via the Tollz website, through its promotional emails, or in-store with a participating retailer using a credit card linked to the Tollz system.

Cashback amounts vary depending on the retailer. For example, Big W offers a 1.75 per cent cashback with a minimum spend of $50. The cashback earned is then paid into the user's Linkt account on the next monthly payment date.

A Look at Australia's Toll Roads: History, Costs, and Benefits​

Toll roads have been an integral part of Australia's transportation infrastructure for centuries, from the 1850s-era Great North Road in Sydney to the present. Although they have been met with controversy due to their cost, there are some benefits to using them. For a start, toll roads can offer a faster journey and reduce congestion on other roads; they also generate revenue to fund road improvement and maintenance. Toll roads are also typically well lit, monitored, and have an extensive system of operator assistance across cities.

On the other hand, toll roads can be expensive. Depending on the route, time of day, and the type of vehicle, users can expect to pay anywhere from a few cents to over $20 per trip. To ease the burden, cashback initiatives such as Tollz tie the cost of toll roads to other expenses, allowing users to save on their journeys. By offering consumer incentives to use toll roads and covering the cost of tolls, initiatives such as Tollz can make public transport easier and more accessible.

Key Takeaways

• A 15-year-old entrepreneur named Henry Coward has created Tollz, a cashback service that helps Aussie drivers save money on tolls in Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne.
  • Participating retailers include Big W, HelloFresh, Subway, Virgin, and Liquorland, and the cashback is applied to the driver's nominated Linkt toll account.
  • Tollz has partnered with cashback provider Super-Rewards and currently has over 300 users.
  • Coward plans to expand the idea to public transport and offer cashback on Opal, Myki, and Go Cards in the coming months.
Let's all give young Coward a round of applause for bringing together the world of consumer spending and affordable travel. Not only has he found a way to make an impact on Aussie driver's pockets, but he's also inspiring us all to think outside the box when it comes to improving our lives—regardless of age.

Members, We're excited to hear your thoughts on the article! Share your comments and bright opinions by leaving them below!

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottyW
Sponsored
How much does it cost to join Tollz I wonder. As the businesses associated with this cashback scheme wouldn’t be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts I’m guessing the cost will be covered by increasing the cost of their goods. This in turn flows onto all their customers, whether or not you use toll roads. So in effect people who don’t use the toll roads are subsidising the costs of people who do use them. Another unnecessary slug to the pockets of country people to help support city people, a lot of whom already earn much more money.

What a smart young man.
There is hope for the future leaders and thinkers of Australia.
Such a simple thing, you have to wonder why the big shot movers and shakers have not thought of it themselves.
Good on the lad. I'm sure his family is super proud.

Reactions: millicent haha
How much does it cost to join Tollz I wonder. As the businesses associated with this cashback scheme wouldn’t be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts I’m guessing the cost will be covered by increasing the cost of their goods. This in turn flows onto all their customers, whether or not you use toll roads. So in effect people who don’t use the toll roads are subsidising the costs of people who do use them. Another unnecessary slug to the pockets of country people to help support city people, a lot of whom already earn much more money.
That's a very negative attitude.🙄 Big businesses have got lots of reasons to increase prices other then this trivial reason. Staff costs are the biggest expense of all businesses. Also rent, rates, energy costs etc. All these go towards the price of goods.

I assume you don't have supermarket loyalty cards as the points they give you must raise the prices of their goods to cover it? 🤔

It's free to join that scheme and this is what it says on their website....
"Retailers offer a variety of % cash back pending on the size of the offer and what they can afford. An example may look like this;

$1,000 everyday spending over the month X 5% avg toll cash back = $50 toll credit (approx. 7 “free” toll trips a month)"

As the article says they've only got about 300 people at the moment. Even if they all claimed something it certainly wouldn't raise any prices!!!

Reactions: terri