I

Ivan Medina

Discover how this supermarket can fill your trolley with groceries for just $25!

With grocery prices soaring due to inflation, many Australian families are struggling to put food on the table. But there's a little-known supermarket that is providing much-needed relief.

Lighthouse Care, located in Loganholme and Hillcrest in Queensland, offers groceries at discounts of up to 70%. Shoppers have been amazed that they can fill a whole trolley for just $25.

This is a lifeline for households impacted by the rising cost of living. Grocery prices have risen 9.3% in the last year, putting pressure on family budgets. The average weekly grocery spending is at $163 – according to a survey as of August 2023.

unnamed.jpg
Need an affordable grocery haul? Lighthouse care has got you covered! Image: Lighthouse Care

Lighthouse Care began in 2004 when a group passionate about helping others started delivering bread in a small van to disadvantaged locals. Five years later, they were assisting 300 families per week.

Today, the non-profit provides food relief to a staggering 500,000 people annually across its two locations. The discounted groceries are available to anyone in need.

The $25 trolley contains a wide variety of essentials. Shoppers report trolleys packed with veggies, fruit, milk, cereal, sausages, juice, snacks, pasta sauce, and more. While the contents change daily based on availability, you'll get a hearty haul.

Stunned customers have shared images on social media of their bounty. 'I'm amazed at how much they can fit in for $25,' said one shopper. Another called it ‘a 'lifesaver' during tough times.’

‘Compared to mainstream supermarkets, the savings are incredible. A basket of groceries that costs $80 at Coles or Woolworths goes for just $25. One kg of pasta sauce is $2 vs $3.50 elsewhere.’ said another shopper.

For those truly struggling, Lighthouse Care also offers free grocery trolleys in emergency situations through their 'Free Trolley Initiative.'

food-cart_1098-14618.jpg
A trolley full of groceries only for $25 at Lighthouse Care! Image: Freepik.

While currently limited to two locations in Queensland, demand is high for the nonprofit to expand. 'Please open one in NSW!' one shopper pleaded on Facebook. Another called it 'such a good idea' that more areas need it.

Though Lighthouse Care makes a commendable contribution in providing affordable groceries, the national stage hosts a range of other budget-friendly supermarkets that make it easier for households around Australia to keep the pantry well-stocked. These supermarkets have helped families combat price hikes and inflation, and are certainly worth a look.

One spectacular instance is ALDI. The supermarket has made massive strides Down Under, with more than 500 locations throughout the country, providing Aussies with high-quality, budget-friendly groceries. Shoppers laud ALDI's own-brand groceries, which include everyday staples and gourmet products. The supermarket chain also emphasises sustainability, only stocking seafood that’s been sustainably caught or responsibly farmed.

While comparing it to other supermarkets, the national brand products cost on average $145.23 at Coles and $141.83 at Woolworths (including specials), while a same basket of Aldi brand products is $80.75 (including specials). That's a saving of $61.08 – $64.48! If you opt for even more budget options available, you could save as much as 54% when buying your groceries from ALDI, rather than shopping at Coles and Woolworths.

So while the inflation race goes on, these lesser-known yet resourceful supermarkets are providing a vital lifeline of affordability and choice to the rising number of financially stressed Australian households. Shopping around – literally – could save you a significant sum on your weekly grocery bill. Although Lighthouse Care undoubtedly holds an admirable place in the context of discount groceries, always keep an eye out for these other hotspots of savings.

Key Takeaways

• Lighthouse Care, a non-profit organisation, is gaining popularity for offering trolleys full of groceries for just $25.
  • They sell necessities, including toilet paper, pre-made meals, and laundry powder, at a significantly lower cost than major supermarkets; occasionally, free fresh produce is also available.
  • Each day, Lighthouse Care offers a pre-packed $25 trolley with a variety of goods that differ based on daily availability; there is also a 'Free Trolley Initiative' for families in dire need.
  • The non-profit organisation, originating from Logan in 2004, assists around 500,000 people annually across their two locations in Loganholme and Hillcrest, Queensland.

Have you discovered any little-known budget supermarkets? Share your tips and tricks for affordable groceries below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent years trying to tell certain family members how much cheaper it was to.shop at Aldi.
They would whinge about having to pack your own groceries, not a big enough range, don't know where anything is, etc.
They all now shop at Aldi.
You don't need dozens of one particular item to choose from, and of course you don't know where things are but you soon learn and if people are too precious to pack their own groceries then go and shop at the other two but stop bloody complaining about being ripped off.
I only shop at Coles for the few things I can't get at Aldi and then only buy them in bulk when they are half price.
There are many ways to cut back on the cost, it just takes a little bit of common sense and organisation.
I know many people who say they don't have time to go to different shops (I must admit mine are all close together) or they don't have time to spend organizing their shopping beforehand.
Same people spend endless hours watching the idiot box, playing with their phones, etc but don't have "time"?????

So these places are probably doing a great job but they really are just perpetuating the problem. Take a look at what is in the trolley in the picture. No protein. Just junk fruit drinks, fruit and veg. We don't need to be filling up on garbage like pasta and rice and bread if we are watching our money and trying to stay healthy. We need good sources of protein to survive and that means eggs, meat, fish. Surely they could include some eggs and chicken pieces at the very least and maybe some mince meat

It’s a shame there is nothing on the Northside or for people like myself who can’t get out of the house. I am disabled living solely on DSP in rental on my own.
That is dreadful. There needs to be some sort of support especially if you are too young for aged care packages or for whatever reason you can't access NDIS. So many gaps in these programs. They should be setting up community groups for those who need help to get out for grocery shopping and medical appointments

Reactions: Babybird
A bit different if you live in the country. No Aldi, Coles or Woolworths just the local shop. Try surviving out there.
Yes I do feel for you guys. I live in what can be described as a rural area but it is still a bit like suburbia. We have IGA about 5 minutes away and walking distance to a Woolworths. But sometimes the Woolworths doesn't have a lot of choices and meat can be hit and miss. IGA is a bit more expensive too

Reactions: Ezzy
It’s a shame there is nothing on the Northside or for people like myself who can’t get out of the house. I am disabled living solely on DSP in rental on my own.
So hard for you. I live in the country in WA and take a lady in a similar situation shopping with me. I saw her struggling at the local shop one day (extremely expensive) so I gave her a hand and then asked her if she would like me to take her shopping with me, it's quite a trip but she looks forward to it.
I now pick her up once a week and take her to my place for a few hours, a coffee and a chat.
Just a little thing but I think she looks forward to getting out a bit.

So these places are probably doing a great job but they really are just perpetuating the problem. Take a look at what is in the trolley in the picture. No protein. Just junk fruit drinks, fruit and veg. We don't need to be filling up on garbage like pasta and rice and bread if we are watching our money and trying to stay healthy. We need good sources of protein to survive and that means eggs, meat, fish. Surely they could include some eggs and chicken pieces at the very least and maybe some mince meat
Some people have no option than to purchase foods that are cheapest and fills their bellies. The carbs you mentioned, (rice and pasta) are versatile foods and quite cheap. There are other protein foods apart from animal products, that are cheap such as lentils and beans. I’d not heard of “Lighthouse” before so I don’t know what their grocery range is, but they’re probably a life saver for many. Just the idea behind it to enable people to buy food at a reduced price is wonderful.

So hard for you. I live in the country in WA and take a lady in a similar situation shopping with me. I saw her struggling at the local shop one day (extremely expensive) so I gave her a hand and then asked her if she would like me to take her shopping with me, it's quite a trip but she looks forward to it.
I now pick her up once a week and take her to my place for a few hours, a coffee and a chat.
She must be so very appreciative! What a lovely way to help someone out! 🥰

Some people have no option than to purchase foods that are cheapest and fills their bellies. The carbs you mentioned, (rice and pasta) are versatile foods and quite cheap. There are other protein foods apart from animal products, that are cheap such as lentils and beans. I’d not heard of “Lighthouse” before so I don’t know what their grocery range is, but they’re probably a life saver for many. Just the idea behind it to enable people to buy food at a reduced price is wonderful.
I agree, this place is a.lifesaver for those in need.
I don't know what planet this person lives on suggesting meat and fish, probably the two most expensive
things. This is a charity for heaven's sake. People would.be grateful for rice, pasta, vegs etc.

You are a true gem , not many like you any more.

I don’t see anything wrong with the food items ,it is a trolley I would be happy with , she could have her own chickens ,eggs as people do .

My sister lives in a country town and although she can still drive she has a lot of difficulty walking due to hip operations having gone wrong she is so grateful to people in her town as well as some shops for helping her put the groceries in her car. She lives alone too. It is wonderful what some people will do to help another

Lizzie1149 - I think you might need to have your eyes checked. First of all, there is a quantity of fruit and vegetables in that trolley. Check it out again, enlarge the picture if you cannot see properly. By the way, pasta, rice and bread are not rubbish (or garbage, as you put it).

All this food is being provided at a huge discount to the shopper. I’d like to see you buying protein rich foods like chicken, meat, fish and eggs and get even one of each of the aforementioned for just $25. Check out the trolley again - bananas, pineapple, capsicum, melons, apples, carrots and even milk, besides what you call the ‘garbage’ foods. How can you assume that those bottles contain ‘junk fruit drink’? There may even be some meat somewhere under there that we cannot see.

I guess you are not struggling financially, at all, like so many, many others. Fortunately my husband and I can afford to eat reasonably well AND we make twice yearly cash donations to 26 charities, besides contributing to our church every week. So please don’t belittle the charitable organisations who provide help to those less fortunate. They also do so at some cost to themselves, and have many volunteers who help out in the shops as well.

Discover how this supermarket can fill your trolley with groceries for just $25!

With grocery prices soaring due to inflation, many Australian families are struggling to put food on the table. But there's a little-known supermarket that is providing much-needed relief.

Lighthouse Care, located in Loganholme and Hillcrest in Queensland, offers groceries at discounts of up to 70%. Shoppers have been amazed that they can fill a whole trolley for just $25.

This is a lifeline for households impacted by the rising cost of living. Grocery prices have risen 9.3% in the last year, putting pressure on family budgets. The average weekly grocery spending is at $163 – according to a survey as of August 2023.

View attachment 34968
Need an affordable grocery haul? Lighthouse care has got you covered! Image: Lighthouse Care

Lighthouse Care began in 2004 when a group passionate about helping others started delivering bread in a small van to disadvantaged locals. Five years later, they were assisting 300 families per week.

Today, the non-profit provides food relief to a staggering 500,000 people annually across its two locations. The discounted groceries are available to anyone in need.

The $25 trolley contains a wide variety of essentials. Shoppers report trolleys packed with veggies, fruit, milk, cereal, sausages, juice, snacks, pasta sauce, and more. While the contents change daily based on availability, you'll get a hearty haul.

Stunned customers have shared images on social media of their bounty. 'I'm amazed at how much they can fit in for $25,' said one shopper. Another called it ‘a 'lifesaver' during tough times.’

‘Compared to mainstream supermarkets, the savings are incredible. A basket of groceries that costs $80 at Coles or Woolworths goes for just $25. One kg of pasta sauce is $2 vs $3.50 elsewhere.’ said another shopper.

For those truly struggling, Lighthouse Care also offers free grocery trolleys in emergency situations through their 'Free Trolley Initiative.'

View attachment 34969

While currently limited to two locations in Queensland, demand is high for the nonprofit to expand. 'Please open one in NSW!' one shopper pleaded on Facebook. Another called it 'such a good idea' that more areas need it.

Though Lighthouse Care makes a commendable contribution in providing affordable groceries, the national stage hosts a range of other budget-friendly supermarkets that make it easier for households around Australia to keep the pantry well-stocked. These supermarkets have helped families combat price hikes and inflation, and are certainly worth a look.

One spectacular instance is ALDI. The supermarket has made massive strides Down Under, with more than 500 locations throughout the country, providing Aussies with high-quality, budget-friendly groceries. Shoppers laud ALDI's own-brand groceries, which include everyday staples and gourmet products. The supermarket chain also emphasises sustainability, only stocking seafood that’s been sustainably caught or responsibly farmed.

While comparing it to other supermarkets, the national brand products cost on average $145.23 at Coles and $141.83 at Woolworths (including specials), while a same basket of Aldi brand products is $80.75 (including specials). That's a saving of $61.08 – $64.48! If you opt for even more budget options available, you could save as much as 54% when buying your groceries from ALDI, rather than shopping at Coles and Woolworths.

So while the inflation race goes on, these lesser-known yet resourceful supermarkets are providing a vital lifeline of affordability and choice to the rising number of financially stressed Australian households. Shopping around – literally – could save you a significant sum on your weekly grocery bill. Although Lighthouse Care undoubtedly holds an admirable place in the context of discount groceries, always keep an eye out for these other hotspots of savings.

Key Takeaways

• Lighthouse Care, a non-profit organisation, is gaining popularity for offering trolleys full of groceries for just $25.
  • They sell necessities, including toilet paper, pre-made meals, and laundry powder, at a significantly lower cost than major supermarkets; occasionally, free fresh produce is also available.
  • Each day, Lighthouse Care offers a pre-packed $25 trolley with a variety of goods that differ based on daily availability; there is also a 'Free Trolley Initiative' for families in dire need.
  • The non-profit organisation, originating from Logan in 2004, assists around 500,000 people annually across their two locations in Loganholme and Hillcrest, Queensland.

Have you discovered any little-known budget supermarkets? Share your tips and tricks for affordable groceries below!
The cottage at swansea in the council champers free bread and fruit and vegi on Mon and Wednesday 1pm, also clothes and shoes. In nsw. Life church at pelican all at no cost that's near swansea
Woywoy vinies assist with vouchers and food hampers, at Gosford life Church does the same and also at Gosford food pantry in Mann's St for donation of 5 you get a hamper.

in port macquarie food4life does the same half price, bread free, fruit and vegi gold coin donation for low earners and pensioners

wecare2 in hervey bay bfast in lions park Monday Wednesday Friday 630 to 8am also their shop in main St all food half price they assist with bills too, free bread and vegi and fruit 930 to 2pm, to join 5 a year.
Bread and vegetables be early as they go quick

The cottage at swansea in the council champers free bread and fruit and vegi on Mon and Wednesday 1pm, also clothes and shoes. In nsw. Life church at pelican all at no cost that's near swansea
Woywoy vinies assist with vouchers and food hampers, at Gosford life Church does the same and also at Gosford food pantry in Mann's St for donation of 5 you get a hamper.

in port macquarie food4life does the same half price, bread free, fruit and vegi gold coin donation for low earners and pensioners

wecare2 in hervey bay bfast in lions park Monday Wednesday Friday 630 to 8am also their shop in main St all food half price they assist with bills too, free bread and vegi and fruit 930 to 2pm, to join 5 a year.
Bread and vegetables be early as they go quick
A little booklet from neighhood center tells you what areas and where to access food for half price and some at no cost..for low earners or people on pension. Salvos at belmont nsw. every Tuesday after 1030 at no cost food and bread and fresh vegetables, in Newcastle 2 to 3 centres beside salvo do the same, in Fairfield nsw the same for small donation Liverpool the same at no cost but bring pension card. Etc any neighhood center has a booklet of centers available to assist homeless low income families and pensionets

Lizzie1149 - I think you might need to have your eyes checked. First of all, there is a quantity of fruit and vegetables in that trolley. Check it out again, enlarge the picture if you cannot see properly. By the way, pasta, rice and bread are not rubbish (or garbage, as you put it).

All this food is being provided at a huge discount to the shopper. I’d like to see you buying protein rich foods like chicken, meat, fish and eggs and get even one of each of the aforementioned for just $25. Check out the trolley again - bananas, pineapple, capsicum, melons, apples, carrots and even milk, besides what you call the ‘garbage’ foods. How can you assume that those bottles contain ‘junk fruit drink’? There may even be some meat somewhere under there that we cannot see.

I guess you are not struggling financially, at all, like so many, many others. Fortunately my husband and I can afford to eat reasonably well AND we make twice yearly cash donations to 26 charities, besides contributing to our church every week. So please don’t belittle the charitable organisations who provide help to those less fortunate. They also do so at some cost to themselves, and have many volunteers who help out in the shops as well.
Well said

Well said
Agree food harvest delivers to those charities all volunteers, in turn donated to struggling people. And pensioners who turn up
You can get a booklet from neibourhood center it will have these centres and their phone numbers and location to find out what days and times they are open.
Also the vegi collected from Coles and Woolies at the end day goes to those charities delivered by ausharvest also their bread is collected for the needy.
All the charities for the fruit and vegi and bread by gold coin donation.
The grocers in some centres are free like the salvo and life church but the other charities are letting you have it at a fraction of shop prices, be grateful. And if everyone of us volunteer 1 day a week that would be tremendous help as they are run off their feet.

Last edited:

View attachment 34968

View attachment 34969

Key Takeaways

ALDI have been in Australia for about 12 years. What have they done differently?
Cunning advertising, not strictly accurate but then they don't care.

2kg washing power advertised at (all prices are mine and not necessarily accurate) $4.00 against Omo etc at $12.00 not a lie but not accurate.

Corn Flakes $2.00 Kellogg's $4.00 .

EVERY ALDI item compared against brand prices. Not once do they compare ALDI Brands against Woolies & Coles house brands, which are the same or lower (particularly if you factor the credit card surcharge and no rewards program).

At last the public is waking up, by generic at you main grocery. Stop the Aldi con job.