Discover how Sunrise host Nat Barr plans to celebrate Mother’s Day

Mother's Day is a special occasion that prompts many to pause and reflect on the profound bond we share with our mothers and, for those who are mothers themselves, with our children.

It's a day filled with emotion, nostalgia, and, of course, the celebration of motherhood in all its forms.

This year, Sunrise host Natalie Barr is embracing the essence of Mother's Day by planning a heartwarming reunion with her youngest son, Hunter, who is currently studying in Canberra.

Nat Barr, a familiar face on Australian television, shared her excitement about the upcoming Mother's Day, revealing that she will be travelling to Canberra to spend quality time with 18-year-old Hunter.

The significance of this visit is not lost on Barr, who, like many parents with children who have flown the nest, feels the pangs of separation deeply.

36902-632aa19c38ea8612c26bb2adaa2dea21d7dbdb18.jpg
Cover of Australia Women’s Weekly 2021, featuring Natalie Barr and her sons. Image: Instagram (natalie_barr7) / Australia Women’s Weekly

Her eldest son, Lachlan, 22, is also forging his own path, leaving Barr and her husband, Andrew Thompson, adjusting to a quieter household.

The topic of Mother's Day plans came up during a segment on Sunrise, where ING Bank Money Expert Matt Bowen was discussing consumer spending trends in the lead-up to the annual celebration.

When asked about her own plans, Barr's response was simple yet poignant: 'I’m going to Canberra (for the day)—just spending time with your kids (is gift enough). I miss them so much. I’m going to see my little boy.'

In addition to her family visit, Barr mentioned that she would be joining a group of fellow mums at the Coffee Club, a testament to the shared experiences and support that mothers often provide one another.

Edwina Bartholomew, a newsreader and colleague of Barr's, chimed in with her own modest wish for Mother's Day: a 'hot meal and coffee' over more traditional gifts like a 'foot spa’.

This sentiment echoes the desires of many mothers who value simple pleasures and time spent with loved ones over material gifts.

Matt Bowen highlighted that the average spend on Mother's Day gifts this year is expected to be around $100, with flowers, gourmet food, champagne, and even a fresh set of pyjamas being popular choices.

Earlier this year, Barr penned a heartfelt column about her experience with motherhood and the transition to becoming an empty nester.

She reflected on the bittersweet nature of watching her children grow up and leave home, a journey that many parents can relate to.

'The house is quiet after years of noise and sweat and boy smell,' she wrote.

‘Our boys are men, and the sayings all the older parents have told me over the years are swimming through my mind: “The days are long, but the years are short”, “They grow up so fast.”’

‘I secretly hadn’t taken any notice of all those wise men and women. It didn’t feel like that all those years ago, life was so busy and beautiful, and wonderous, and exhausting and frustrating.’

‘But now, in the tidy house full of memories of the beautiful times, the next phase begins,’ she said.

Barr's words resonate with parents everywhere, especially those who have reached the stage where their children are embarking on their own independent lives.
Key Takeaways
  • Sunrise host Nat Barr plans to travel to Canberra for Mother's Day with her youngest son, Hunter, who is studying at university.
  • During a segment about Mother's Day spending patterns, Barr expressed that spending time with her children is a gift enough for her.
  • Finance Expert Matt Bowen revealed that most people are expected to spend an average of $100 on Mother's Day gifts, with flowers and gourmet food being popular choices.
  • Nat Barr reflected on motherhood and becoming an empty nester in a previous column, mentioning that it marks the beginning of a new phase in life as her youngest child moves away to university.
To our readers, we invite you to share your own Mother's Day plans or memories. How do you celebrate this special day? Do you have gift recommendations? Share them in the comments below!

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
Our local RSL is running a raffle. Prizes are from Michael Hill jewellery including watches! Have a stepson & step grandchildren but sadly they don’t acknowledge me even though I cared for them when they were young, so, I am taking myself to the club for lunch & to buy some tickets!😊

Reactions: marni
Our local RSL is running a raffle. Prizes are from Michael Hill jewellery including watches! Have a stepson & step grandchildren but sadly they don’t acknowledge me even though I cared for them when they were young, so, I am taking myself to the club for lunch & to buy some tickets!😊
💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐

Hope you win!

May your tickets be winners. No time for sad thoughts, celebrate yourself and the mothering you provided when they needed it.

Reactions: marni
Our local RSL is running a raffle. Prizes are from Michael Hill jewellery including watches! Have a stepson & step grandchildren but sadly they don’t acknowledge me even though I cared for them when they were young, so, I am taking myselfo to the club for lunch & to buy some tickets!😊
Good on you , there's so many families like that where children have distanced themselves from their parents. Some may have good reasons but some don't and it's so sad. I have friends in that position who can't understand what went wrong