Discover how a $2 Coin in your pocket could be worth $6,000!

The thrill of treasure hunting isn't confined to the high seas or the pages of adventure novels; sometimes, it can be as simple as sifting through your spare change.

For one lucky Australian, a routine transaction at a service station (servo) turned into an extraordinary find when he discovered a rare coin worth thousands.

And the best part? More of these valuable coins could be jingling around in pockets and purses across the country.

Imagine the surprise and excitement of paying for your petrol and snacks, only to receive a piece of change that could be worth thousands.

This isn't a far-fetched dream but a reality for a fortunate few who have encountered a rare and valuable minting error in their everyday coins.

An Australian recently posted a photo of his discovery on social media, igniting a wave of excitement among collectors.

‘Is this a rare find?’ he asked.

69921165_2378469552230166_105718975018565632_n.jpg
An Australian man found a rare $2 coin worth up to $6,000 in his change from a service station. Credit: Facebook / Australia Coins

The coin that has collectors and casual observers alike buzzing is the 2020 Firefighter $2 coin.

This special coin was initially minted to pay tribute to the brave firefighters who fought against the devastating bushfires that swept through Australia in 2019.

However, a minting mishap, now famously known as the ‘bullseye error’, has catapulted some of these coins to the status of highly coveted collectibles worth up to $6,000.

The bullseye error is characterised by the coin's flame design, which is supposed to be positioned between two firefighters but instead appears over Queen Elizabeth II's face.

This striking error has not only caught the attention of numismatists but also sparked a nationwide coin hunt.

What makes these coins exceptionally rare is the mystery surrounding their quantity. No one knows exactly how many error coins were produced and how many are currently in circulation.

While coin experts suggest that circulated versions, like the one found at the servo, might not fetch the full $6,000, they could still command a handsome sum of a few thousand dollars.

‘If this guy has got it from the servo, it sounds like it's probably been in a till, it may have been knocked around a bit, and all those things contribute to a value,’ explained coin expert Matthew Thompson.

The value of these coins hinges on their condition and authenticity.

With reports of counterfeit versions circulating, where unscrupulous individuals manually alter the flame design to replicate the error, it's crucial to approach any potential finds with a degree of scepticism.

To avoid disappointment and ensure you're not falling victim to a fake, it's recommended to have any coins you suspect might be rare verified by a professional.

So, the next time you're handed change at a servo or anywhere else, take a moment to examine your $2 coins. You never know, you might just be holding onto a small fortune.

And for our members here at the Seniors Discount Club, this could be an unexpected windfall or a delightful story to share with the grandkids.

While discovering a rare $2 coin worth $3,000 in your change might sound like a lucky fluke, it's not the only way to turn spare change into significant cash.

In another remarkable turn of events, a man managed to transform a humble 5-cent coin into a substantial $2,000.

These stories highlight how the small change we overlook can sometimes turn into surprising financial windfalls.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian man discovered a rare $2 coin worth up to $6000 in his change from a service station.
  • The 2020 Firefighter $2 coin with a ‘bullseye error’ could be worth thousands due to a minting mistake where the flame design is over the Queen's face.
  • Coin experts recommend getting the coin verified by a professional due to the possibility of counterfeit error coins.
  • It is unknown how many of these error coins are in circulation, adding to their rarity and value.
Have you ever come across a rare coin in your change? Do you have a habit of checking your coins for errors or unusual features?

We'd love to hear about your experiences and any tips you might have for fellow treasure seekers. Share your stories in the comments below, and let's celebrate the unexpected joys that can come from the most mundane moments.

Sponsored
I have hundreds of special coins been collecting them for many many years and I do have that one not selling they are for our kids inheritance because we will spend our money so they get the coins and the house

I have a two dollars coin (Which I saved) with on the one side it says "CAPTAIN FEATHERS WORD" with a red circle around it just like the one with the blue shown above. I have never seen this coin before hence why I kept it.
Does anyone here knows what it could be worth and, if not, where I could make a search.?

Reactions: SylviaK
I have a two dollars coin (Which I saved) with on the one side it says "CAPTAIN FEATHERS WORD" with a red circle around it just like the one with the blue shown above. I have never seen this coin before hence why I kept it.
Does anyone here knows what it could be worth and, if not, where I could make a search.?
Worth a staggering $5, according to Wynyard Coins.

I have hundreds of special coins been collecting them for many many years and I do have that one not selling they are for our kids inheritance because we will spend our money so they get the coins and the house
Done the same.
Got a windfall accident payout a few years back, and sank it into #Bitcoin when it was a fraction of today's price.

Got a bit more than Bank interest!

In my view, anyone who doesn't own a few Satoshi's has not looked into Bitcoin.
Nothing else to add, except the future is going to be digital, and Fiat money (paper) will be inflated to zero like it was in Zimbabwe and the Weimar Republic.

The US is in debt $35 Trillion, and devaluing at $1 Trillion every 100 days.
Start your journey by Googling that number.

This is more secure than looking for a ghostly $2 coin.

Listen to AudioBook here - it IS available, despite the quick "Video Unavailable" flashing up first ... allow a few seconds.

You're welcome to the change of topic.

Well, I might as well spend it. The point is....WHAT CAN I BUY TODAY WITH $2 DOLLARS.?
You can buy 2084 Satoshis. :D

It's just the way I think - but I believe every Australian should try to diversify into a little Bitcoin. - even $100 ... or a regular weekly amount with money that is not needed for other purposes immediately (coffee or lunch money is being used by a mate of mine - $11 a day.)
He calls it Dollar Cost Averaging into Bitcoin.
Forget the Alt coins - they are for gamblers who trade, and they are going to $zero.
There are honest brokers around.
But even so, they are known to collapse taking everything people own.

Honest dealers:
Bitaroo.com.au
Coinspot.com.au

Best is to transfer your Bitcoin to what is known as an off-line cold wallet.
No one can hack what is not online.
Best part - even if your cold wallet gets nicked, they cannot crack it, because only you hold the information needed to recover your holdings. Safer than a bank.

Happy to explain more - maybe in a dedicated thread - instead of my ruining this one.
And never disclose if you even have Bitcoin, or how much. This is not about bragging rights - it's your money and your security, and the less known, the better.

Last edited:
You can buy 2084 Satoshis. :D

It's just the way I think - but I believe every Australian should try to diversify into a little Bitcoin. - even $100 ... or a regular weekly amount with money that is not needed for other purposes immediately.
There are honest brokers around.
But even so, they are known to collapse taking everything people own.

Bitaroo.com.au
Coinspot.com.au

Best is to transfer your Bitcoin to what is known as an off-line cold wallet. No one can hack what is not online.
Best part - even if your cold wallet gets nicked, they cannot crack it, because only you hold the information needed to recover your holdings. Safer than a bank.

Happy to explain more - maybe in a dedicated thread - instead of my ruining this one.
And never disclose if you have Bitcoin, or how much. This is not about bragging rights - it's your money and your security, and the less known, the better.
I simply haven't got a clue. I don't know anything about Bitcoin or whatever else. Time permitting I will have to do a bit of research into it.

Reactions: SylviaK and Ingot
I simply haven't got a clue. I don't know anything about Bitcoin or whatever else. Time permitting I will have to do a bit of research into it.
Best if you do that.
Look into it, and ask questions.
Keep asking the hard questions - and don't take the advice from people on the Internet like me.

I am not a financial advisor.
That video link above about "The Bitcoin Standard" is the beginners starting point.
Talk about it to others - simply ask them if they hold Bitcoin, and why.
It begins a useful conversation.

Reactions: Kelpie and SylviaK
A fabulous find for me would be a $2.00 coin. Have non, want some but I only found a $1.00 coin and some pretty silver ones. Times are tough so if anyone has one of these rare $2.00 coins they do not want littering up their change pockets please send them to me and I will look after them!

Best if you do that.
Look into it, and ask questions.
Keep asking the hard questions - and don't take the advice from people on the Internet like me.

I am not a financial advisor.
That video link above about "The Bitcoin Standard" is the beginners starting point.
Talk about it to others - simply ask them if they hold Bitcoin, and why.
It begins a useful conversation.
Thanks, will do.

A fabulous find for me would be a $2.00 coin. Have non, want some but I only found a $1.00 coin and some pretty silver ones. Times are tough so if anyone has one of these rare $2.00 coins they do not want littering up their change pockets please send them to me and I will look after them!
Good one.