Discover affordable stores selling cheaper items than your supermarket!

The start of the year can be a financially challenging time for many Australian families. The festive season hangover is still lingering, and post-holiday expenses are piling up.

Add to this the high grocery prices and the enticing sales displays of hot cross buns and Easter chocolates, and it's clear that every dollar needs to be stretched to its maximum potential.

Like many others, you might have already started purchasing less expensive cuts of meat and ensuring that nothing you buy goes to waste, especially fruits and vegetables.

But what if there was a way to save even more on your grocery bill?

This week, 9Honey writer Jo Abi found herself in a dilemma many can relate to: her family had run out of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, dishwashing tablets, and other cleaning products all at once.

The thing is, most of these items can be a bit pricey, especially at supermarket stores.

So, Abi tried to find these items at lower costs outside of giant retailers, mainly at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 092503.png
Household items such as laundry detergents, dishwashing liquids and other cleaning products can be bought cheaper at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse. Image: Chemist Warehouse

‘I shop at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse, but mostly for other items. At the Reject Shop I usually buy affordable wrapping paper and gift cards, cat litter and photo frames. I also bought some great little colourful Japanese food bowls there,’ Abi shared.

‘Chemist Warehouse is perfect for when I need vitamins, cosmetics (mostly nail stuff), my son's Listerine, shampoo, conditioner and body wash.’

‘But have you ever noticed both The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse sell cleaning products? And really cheaply too,’ she added.

At The Reject Shop, Abi found Finish Classic dishwashing tablets selling 110 tab packs, 2 for $36.

They also had Handee Ultra paper towels, a six-pack for $8.50, and popular laundry capsules selling at two for $29.

Abi also went to Chemist Warehouse, where they were selling Finish dishwashing products for a fraction of what they cost, as well as White King bathroom cleaning products, Power Gel for $3.99 and Bleach Spray for $4.49.

By purchasing these products outside of supermarkets, Abi saved at least $40, which left her with more money to spend on food.

Furthermore, maybe you could try and take a look at what you are buying at your local supermarket and see if any of the non-food items you buy frequently can be purchased somewhere else each month for lower prices at The Reject Shop, Chemist Warehouse, and other discount outlets.

Supermarkets are designed to make you spend more. They employ a range of strategies to encourage you to fill your trolley.

One such strategy is the placement of essential items like milk and bread at the back of the store, forcing you to walk past a plethora of other tempting products.

It's also common for supermarkets to place more expensive items at eye level, while cheaper alternatives are placed on lower or higher shelves.

Supermarkets also capitalise on our tendency to associate larger packages with better value. However, this is not always the case, and it's important to check the unit price (the cost per litre, kilogram, or item) to ensure you're getting the best deal.

Lastly, supermarkets often place non-food items like cleaning products, toiletries, and pet supplies in the same area, making it convenient for you to pick them up during your grocery shop.

However, as Abi showed us, these items can often be found cheaper elsewhere.

Key Takeaways
  • 9Honey writer Jo Abi found herself in a dilemma of running out of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, dishwashing tablets, and other cleaning products at the same time.
  • Abi tried to find items at lower costs outside of giant retailers, mainly at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse.
  • Abi said that these discount outlets frequently offer great deals on products like dishwashing tablets, paper towels, laundry liquid, and bathroom cleaning products, saving her at least $40 more money to spend on food.
  • Taking a look to see if any of the non-food items you buy frequently can be purchased for lower prices at other discount outlets is a good way to save.

What are your tips for saving money on groceries? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
The start of the year can be a financially challenging time for many Australian families. The festive season hangover is still lingering, and post-holiday expenses are piling up.

Add to this the high grocery prices and the enticing sales displays of hot cross buns and Easter chocolates, and it's clear that every dollar needs to be stretched to its maximum potential.

Like many others, you might have already started purchasing less expensive cuts of meat and ensuring that nothing you buy goes to waste, especially fruits and vegetables.

But what if there was a way to save even more on your grocery bill?

This week, 9Honey writer Jo Abi found herself in a dilemma many can relate to: her family had run out of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, dishwashing tablets, and other cleaning products all at once.

The thing is, most of these items can be a bit pricey, especially at supermarket stores.

So, Abi tried to find these items at lower costs outside of giant retailers, mainly at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse.

View attachment 39535
Household items such as laundry detergents, dishwashing liquids and other cleaning products can be bought cheaper at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse. Image: Chemist Warehouse

‘I shop at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse, but mostly for other items. At the Reject Shop I usually buy affordable wrapping paper and gift cards, cat litter and photo frames. I also bought some great little colourful Japanese food bowls there,’ Abi shared.

‘Chemist Warehouse is perfect for when I need vitamins, cosmetics (mostly nail stuff), my son's Listerine, shampoo, conditioner and body wash.’

‘But have you ever noticed both The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse sell cleaning products? And really cheaply too,’ she added.

At The Reject Shop, Abi found Finish Classic dishwashing tablets selling 110 tab packs, 2 for $36.

They also had Handee Ultra paper towels, a six-pack for $8.50, and popular laundry capsules selling at two for $29.

Abi also went to Chemist Warehouse, where they were selling Finish dishwashing products for a fraction of what they cost, as well as White King bathroom cleaning products, Power Gel for $3.99 and Bleach Spray for $4.49.

By purchasing these products outside of supermarkets, Abi saved at least $40, which left her with more money to spend on food.

Furthermore, maybe you could try and take a look at what you are buying at your local supermarket and see if any of the non-food items you buy frequently can be purchased somewhere else each month for lower prices at The Reject Shop, Chemist Warehouse, and other discount outlets.

Supermarkets are designed to make you spend more. They employ a range of strategies to encourage you to fill your trolley.

One such strategy is the placement of essential items like milk and bread at the back of the store, forcing you to walk past a plethora of other tempting products.

It's also common for supermarkets to place more expensive items at eye level, while cheaper alternatives are placed on lower or higher shelves.

Supermarkets also capitalise on our tendency to associate larger packages with better value. However, this is not always the case, and it's important to check the unit price (the cost per litre, kilogram, or item) to ensure you're getting the best deal.

Lastly, supermarkets often place non-food items like cleaning products, toiletries, and pet supplies in the same area, making it convenient for you to pick them up during your grocery shop.

However, as Abi showed us, these items can often be found cheaper elsewhere.

Key Takeaways

• 9Honey writer Jo Abi found herself in a dilemma of running out of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, dishwashing tablets, and other cleaning products at the same time.
  • Abi tried to find items at lower costs outside of giant retailers, mainly at The Reject Shop and Chemist Warehouse.
  • Abi said that these discount outlets frequently offer great deals on products like dishwashing tablets, paper towels, laundry liquid, and bathroom cleaning products, saving her at least $40 more money to spend on food.
  • Taking a look to see if any of the non-food items you buy frequently can be purchased for lower prices at other discount outlets is a good way to save.

What are your tips for saving money on groceries? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
I like to reply, but so many bloody ads crowd the screen,
I lose the spot. Remove, or I'll close the subscription.

I like to reply, but so many bloody ads crowd the screen,
I lose the spot. Remove, or I'll close the subscription.
If you want less ads you need to pay for a membership. I hardly get any ads and the membership is very reasonable.
How do you think they cover their costs to run this forum without advertising income.
Very rude demand there at the end.
The choice is yours after all, either pay for a membership, put up with the ads or unsubscribe.

I buy shampoo and vitamins from Woolies when they come on special at half price. I don't have a reject shop near me and I also rely on delivery. Aldi dont' have what I want when I can get someone to take me there. And same with chemist warehouse need it delivered as well.

What is Silly Solly’s? Obviously they’re not in Tassie along with Aldi etc.
Stores are mostly in Qld NSW and Vic I believe. They sell many items that you would find in other outlets for a fraction of the price from household, gardening, food, clothing, gift lines, toiletries, and much more. I get all my solar lights sold else where for $15 same item, for $5 and they last really well!

If you want less ads you need to pay for a membership. I hardly get any ads and the membership is very reasonable.
How do you think they cover their costs to run this forum without advertising income.
Very rude demand there at the end.
The choice is yours after all, either pay for a membership, put up with the ads or unsubscribe.
Agreed, a great site and membership well worth it!