Diner shares the ultimate trick to finding the best Chinese restaurants - ‘Trust me!’

If you’re a big fan of Asian food, recall what your favourite Chinese restaurant looks like… Does the menu look a wee bit worn down? What’s the quality of the dining chairs like?

You might think it’s silly but one diner and filmmaker claimed to know an effective trick for spotting the best Chinese restaurants in your vicinity – and the secret is a 3.5 out of 5-star rating. Here’s why it makes sense.

Freddie Wong, who is a self-proclaimed culinary expert, explained in a TikTok video that restaurants with 3.5 stars are the ‘sweet spot for authentic Chinese food’.

‘The easiest way to find authentic Chinese food–assuming you’re living in a major metropolitan area–is to look for restaurants with 3.5 stars,’ Freddie can be heard saying in a TikTok video.

dh6f74xgkzbTO8AXGXk4iqU3nPM8xOxD7dADc4bP6JiOsfrNXbDGgK7ccWl12sZCpyTms7yCAbh9ZRjVSZAoiJjxu07CCz6GK4CBJXmdBgTiw_UoYOi2QyXuWpmfx8VKc-ph-7or1x_qeF8cV53q2OBYt1Tv_esmg2E4DXzVqyw0mmMUfeAXfZXTFg
GeteS23kBV5DrEHCKDBXy69K91qJG-gH_xS5-RGUzCfpc7Ab6-W7z7Pe8bIbwPqhb1_u5e_EmuR2z4V3TB8tHOUIb41DktiNUVPCv4TDUWVe-3JY_jR6QtmZ995YuSs0rBJfkZKiis5z9tg9Q2GRjKBaA-YLMroo2Koe14ESVmM8qf6-J9b_dCc_MA

Freddie explained why the tip makes sense in a TikTok video. Source: @rocketjump

‘Exactly 3.5 stars. Not 3, not 4. It’s the sweet spot for authentic Chinese food. This is why I only go to Chinese restaurants with 3.5-star ratings.’

While browsing a selection of restaurants in his area, Freddie said that restaurants with 2.5 stars are ‘obviously bad’ while a 4-star rating meant that the food has been modified to appeal to the locals or tourists and can lose its charm.

‘The service will be great but the food probably is not as good as it could be.’ Freddie continued.

So why do 3.5-star Chinese restaurants reflect top-notch food quality?

‘Here’s my theory,’ Freddie said.

‘Cultural expectations for services are different in Asia. They’re not as proactive. They’re not going to come up to you and proactively give you refills. You need to flag down the waiters.’

‘People on Yelp…they’re digging on these restaurants because the service is bad. However, the food balances it out. That’s what I’m talking about, the 3.5 stars – that’s exactly what you want.’

‘It’s the sweet spot, trust me.’ he insisted.

IlanrZwFf_REa46qYYU0tqVU1i7UeF1_fFqoSbaxl_GfusCgUs4Pg6Xo1CqSPNRb3HlUIh37g2FauMi26AJDIFAaYRNFLTLafXrMGFVWUnh3fA5bsepoCFky2fWlCPdW7u-7NAOU3Wzxv891v8WutYMIef2dMlBBCiJlOqH8j_qeUfw6zpdgpelJGQ

Thousands agreed with the claim. Source: Broadsheet

His TikTok video has garnered over seven million views, with thousands agreeing with his theory in the comments.

‘I just checked the local places near me and this is 100 per cent accurate. My two favourites are both 3.5 stars.’ one woman wrote.

‘I’ve been saying this for years! Yes, I completely agree. OMG!’ another gushed.

Others pointed out the signs they look out for that help them indicate whether or not a Chinese restaurant is worth the shot.

‘If the bathroom of the restaurant doesn’t double as a storage space or utility closet, we’re not eating there.’ one teased.

‘I look for the quality of the chairs. If they have those faded pink pleather chairs and lots of Chinese movie posters, the food is going to be amazing!’ another chimed.

Source: @viciousvee22

‘I use the "welcome" rule. If you walk in and they greet you, just leave because the food probably isn’t authentic. I want the staff to ignore me like my high school crush did.’ a third joked, while a fourth added: ‘I use the “menu” rule. If there are faded pictures of food on the wall above the register, then the food is going to be fantastic!’

Agreeing with Freddie about good Chinese restaurants having ‘rude’ service, one diner shared: ‘This lady called me “stupid” for calling “bao buns” - “dumplings”, I almost cried while walking out… But the food was amazing.’

Several more thanked Freddie for the helpful tip.

‘I trust you with my life now. This is life-changing.’ one commented.

One more wrote: ‘This is the best advice ever.’

What are your thoughts about Freddie’s tip? Are you a fan of Chinese food? What’s your favourite Chinese restaurant and dish? Have you noticed any details at other restaurants that seem to correspond with quality? Let us know in the comments!

Watch Freddie’s full TikTok video below:

Source: @rocketjump

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
If you’re a big fan of Asian food, recall what your favourite Chinese restaurant looks like… Does the menu look a wee bit worn down? What’s the quality of the dining chairs like?

You might think it’s silly but one diner and filmmaker claimed to know an effective trick for spotting the best Chinese restaurants in your vicinity – and the secret is a 3.5 out of 5-star rating. Here’s why it makes sense.

Freddie Wong, who is a self-proclaimed culinary expert, explained in a TikTok video that restaurants with 3.5 stars are the ‘sweet spot for authentic Chinese food’.

‘The easiest way to find authentic Chinese food–assuming you’re living in a major metropolitan area–is to look for restaurants with 3.5 stars,’ Freddie can be heard saying in a TikTok video.

dh6f74xgkzbTO8AXGXk4iqU3nPM8xOxD7dADc4bP6JiOsfrNXbDGgK7ccWl12sZCpyTms7yCAbh9ZRjVSZAoiJjxu07CCz6GK4CBJXmdBgTiw_UoYOi2QyXuWpmfx8VKc-ph-7or1x_qeF8cV53q2OBYt1Tv_esmg2E4DXzVqyw0mmMUfeAXfZXTFg
GeteS23kBV5DrEHCKDBXy69K91qJG-gH_xS5-RGUzCfpc7Ab6-W7z7Pe8bIbwPqhb1_u5e_EmuR2z4V3TB8tHOUIb41DktiNUVPCv4TDUWVe-3JY_jR6QtmZ995YuSs0rBJfkZKiis5z9tg9Q2GRjKBaA-YLMroo2Koe14ESVmM8qf6-J9b_dCc_MA

Freddie explained why the tip makes sense in a TikTok video. Source: @rocketjump

‘Exactly 3.5 stars. Not 3, not 4. It’s the sweet spot for authentic Chinese food. This is why I only go to Chinese restaurants with 3.5-star ratings.’

While browsing a selection of restaurants in his area, Freddie said that restaurants with 2.5 stars are ‘obviously bad’ while a 4-star rating meant that the food has been modified to appeal to the locals or tourists and can lose its charm.

‘The service will be great but the food probably is not as good as it could be.’ Freddie continued.

‘Cultural expectations for services are different in Asia. They’re not as proactive. They’re not going to come up to you and proactively give you refills. You need to flag down the waiters.’

‘People on Yelp…they’re digging on these restaurants because the service is bad. However, the food balances it out. That’s what I’m talking about, the 3.5 stars – that’s exactly what you want.’

IlanrZwFf_REa46qYYU0tqVU1i7UeF1_fFqoSbaxl_GfusCgUs4Pg6Xo1CqSPNRb3HlUIh37g2FauMi26AJDIFAaYRNFLTLafXrMGFVWUnh3fA5bsepoCFky2fWlCPdW7u-7NAOU3Wzxv891v8WutYMIef2dMlBBCiJlOqH8j_qeUfw6zpdgpelJGQ

His TikTok video has garnered over seven million views, with thousands agreeing with his theory in the comments.

‘I just checked the local places near me and this is 100 per cent accurate. My two favourites are both 3.5 stars.’ one woman wrote.

‘I’ve been saying this for years! Yes, I completely agree. OMG!’ another gushed.

Others pointed out the signs they look out for that help them indicate whether or not a Chinese restaurant is worth the shot.

‘If the bathroom of the restaurant doesn’t double as a storage space or utility closet, we’re not eating there.’ one teased.

‘I look for the quality of the chairs. If they have those faded pink pleather chairs and lots of Chinese movie posters, the food is going to be amazing!’ another chimed.

‘I use the "welcome" rule. If you walk in and they greet you, just leave because the food probably isn’t authentic. I want the staff to ignore me like my high school crush did.’ a third joked, while a fourth added: ‘I use the “menu” rule. If there are faded pictures of food on the wall above the register, then the food is going to be fantastic!’

Agreeing with Freddie about good Chinese restaurants having ‘rude’ service, one diner shared: ‘This lady called me “stupid” for calling “bao buns” - “dumplings”, I almost cried while walking out… But the food was amazing.’

What are your thoughts about Freddie’s tip? Are you a fan of Chinese food? What’s your favourite Chinese restaurant and dish? Have you noticed any details at other restaurants that seem to correspond with quality? Let us know in the comments!

I love Cantonese food and when I lived in Melbourne there was an amazing Cantonse Restaurant not far from where I lived. I miss it greatly.

same as I do overseas (check for locals eating there), look inside... Chinese the majority, food must not be dumb down to so-called "European taste"