Did your electricity bill hike up, too? 75 per cent of Australians are experiencing the same

If your latest electricity bill made your eyes water, you're not alone. A new report has found that a staggering 75 per cent of Australians have copped a hike in their power bills over the last few months.

Earlier this month, The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) released its ‘State of the Energy Market’ report for 2023 and warned that Australians could face rising power prices for years as the country struggles to switch to more sustainable and renewable energy sources.

This was later confirmed by a financial comparison website, Canstar Blue, as they reported that 75 per cent of households saw an increase in their electricity bills in the past few months.

andrey-metelev-qpAOxji4dAo-unsplash.jpg
The Australian Energy Regulator warned that Australians could face rising power prices for years. Credit: Andrey Metelev/Unsplash

They also revealed that 72 per cent have been reducing their electricity usage, but 52 per cent are still expecting to receive higher electricity bills.

As of July 1, AER increased the default market offer from 20.8 per cent to 23.9 per cent without controlled load and from 19.6 to 24.9 per cent with controlled load, depending on the region.

Canstar Blue explained that residents could save up to 30 per cent on their bills if they compare prices from different energy companies and see who offers the best deal.

For example, residents from Victoria using Covau Energy could see a 27 per cent savings in their annual bill compared to the state’s default officer.

Customers of Simply Energy in Victoria could save up to 26 per cent, while those with OVO Energy could see a 25 per cent savings.

Clare Savage, Chair of AER, mentioned the importance of finding ways for residents to use other energy sources like solar panels or small-scale batteries.

‘This will require effective whole-of-system integration, which would avoid more costly alternatives of additional grid and generation investment,’ she explained.

Low-income consumers have been facing the brunt of this issue. According to Canstar Blue’s report, electricity bills as a proportion of income are at least double those of average-income earners.

And it looks like it would persist for a while as it was reported that the temporary bill relief from the government ends.

Energy bills have risen from 9 to 20 per cent for all households—excluding Western Australia and the Northern Territory—covered by the National Electricity Market (NEM) in 2022-2023.

However, the ‘greatest challenge’ lies in the delivery of big transmission projects, which have been progressing more slowly than planned

Ms Savage said: ‘These projects face challenges including escalating costs, slower than planned progress and the need to address the concerns of the communities that host them.’

On the bright side, the impact of renewable generation and household solar continued to grow nationwide. The rooftop solar output has doubled in the last five years, accounting for nine per cent of total generation in 2022.

Based on the forecasts by the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), residential rooftop solar capacity could supply up to 80 per cent of the energy demand in mainland NEM regions by 2025.

But Canstar Blue’s report warned that if no action is made to manage the energy resources, AEMO would struggle to deliver adequate system strength, inertia, voltage management and frequency control with the present operational tools.

Key Takeaways
  • Around 75 per cent of Australians have experienced an increase in their electricity bill in the past few months, according to Canstar Blue.
  • Despite 72 per cent of Australians significantly reducing their electricity usage, over half still expect to receive higher bills.
  • It was found that households could save almost 30 per cent on electricity bills by shopping around for companies offering the best deals.
  • The Australian Energy Market Operator forecasts residential rooftop solar capacity to supply
    up to 80 per cent of the underlying customer demand in mainland National Electricity Market regions by 2025.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have tips that can help others to save on their energy bill? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
If your latest electricity bill made your eyes water, you're not alone. A new report has found that a staggering 75 per cent of Australians have copped a hike in their power bills over the last few months.

Earlier this month, The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) released its ‘State of the Energy Market’ report for 2023 and warned that Australians could face rising power prices for years as the country struggles to switch to more sustainable and renewable energy sources.

This was later confirmed by a financial comparison website, Canstar Blue, as they reported that 75 per cent of households saw an increase in their electricity bills in the past few months.

View attachment 32261
The Australian Energy Regulator warned that Australians could face rising power prices for years. Credit: Andrey Metelev/Unsplash

They also revealed that 72 per cent have been reducing their electricity usage, but 52 per cent are still expecting to receive higher electricity bills.

As of July 1, AER increased the default market offer from 20.8 per cent to 23.9 per cent without controlled load and from 19.6 to 24.9 per cent with controlled load, depending on the region.

Canstar Blue explained that residents could save up to 30 per cent on their bills if they compare prices from different energy companies and see who offers the best deal.

For example, residents from Victoria using Covau Energy could see a 27 per cent savings in their annual bill compared to the state’s default officer.

Customers of Simply Energy in Victoria could save up to 26 per cent, while those with OVO Energy could see a 25 per cent savings.

Clare Savage, Chair of AER, mentioned the importance of finding ways for residents to use other energy sources like solar panels or small-scale batteries.

‘This will require effective whole-of-system integration, which would avoid more costly alternatives of additional grid and generation investment,’ she explained.

Low-income consumers have been facing the brunt of this issue. According to Canstar Blue’s report, electricity bills as a proportion of income are at least double those of average-income earners.

And it looks like it would persist for a while as it was reported that the temporary bill relief from the government ends.

Energy bills have risen from 9 to 20 per cent for all households—excluding Western Australia and the Northern Territory—covered by the National Electricity Market (NEM) in 2022-2023.

However, the ‘greatest challenge’ lies in the delivery of big transmission projects, which have been progressing more slowly than planned

Ms Savage said: ‘These projects face challenges including escalating costs, slower than planned progress and the need to address the concerns of the communities that host them.’

On the bright side, the impact of renewable generation and household solar continued to grow nationwide. The rooftop solar output has doubled in the last five years, accounting for nine per cent of total generation in 2022.

Based on the forecasts by the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO), residential rooftop solar capacity could supply up to 80 per cent of the energy demand in mainland NEM regions by 2025.

But Canstar Blue’s report warned that if no action is made to manage the energy resources, AEMO would struggle to deliver adequate system strength, inertia, voltage management and frequency control with the present operational tools.

Key Takeaways

• Around 75 per cent of Australians have experienced an increase in their electricity bill in the past few months, according to Canstar Blue.
  • Despite 72 per cent of Australians significantly reducing their electricity usage, over half still expect to receive higher bills.
  • It was found that households could save almost 30 per cent on electricity bills by shopping around for companies offering the best deals.
  • The Australian Energy Market Operator forecasts residential rooftop solar capacity to supply
    up to 80 per cent of the underlying customer demand in mainland National Electricity Market regions by 2025.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have tips that can help others to save on their energy bill? Let us know in the comments below!

My Electricity bill was up $240 and we did absolutely nothing differently. We never used a heater at all as we have a wood heater.
They did install smart meters in homes in my area but said they couldn't get to ours as a boat was blocking the way , which was a lie. So I'm wondering if this had something to do with it .

We need a smart meter installed as we are now getting solar panels installed in 2 weeks

My Electricity bill was up $240 and we did absolutely nothing differently. We never used a heater at all as we have a wood heater.
They did install smart meters in homes in my area but said they couldn't get to ours as a boat was blocking the way , which was a lie. So I'm wondering if this had something to do with it .

We need a smart meter installed as we are now getting solar panels installed in 2 weeks

At least Santa is off the hook this time. Blame a mighty Putin as our politicians are not accountable. They just not doing their job but can't get fired for it.

Reactions: Leenie

We had solar panel installed many years ago. We had the old meter and it was fun to watch it go backwards. We didn’t get a bill but they owed us money. We had to get a smart meter installed but it’s not smart for the home owner. We have had a bill ever since. We have 36 panels and a battery. When the sun’s out it charges the battery so we use that at night. In the summer we have been cut off the grid and then my solar and battery don’t work. Don’t be in a hurry for a smart meter.

We had solar panel installed many years ago. We had the old meter and it was fun to watch it go backwards. We didn’t get a bill but they owed us money. We had to get a smart meter installed but it’s not smart for the home owner. We have had a bill ever since. We have 36 panels and a battery. When the sun’s out it charges the battery so we use that at night. In the summer we have been cut off the grid and then my solar and battery don’t work. Don’t be in a hurry for a smart meter.
The solar place said we needed to have it installed within 14 days of getting them otherwise we won't see the benefits. Do you understand what they mean ? 🤔

The solar place said we needed to have it installed within 14 days of getting them otherwise we won't see the benefits. Do you understand what they mean ? 🤔
No l don’t know what they mean . It my be due to your excess power that is feed back to the grid so you get a solar credit. If l had my way l would have the old meter any day watching it go backwards

We installed Solar Panels a few years ago with a great feed back return. There are only two of us but our home is large and we run ducted air all year around and use a drier. Once we installed solar we noticed that our bills for the last few years have been zero or we get money back in credit, which has meant that the Solar was a great move and we felt we were doing our bit for the environment. Since this year with changes to costings and a huge reduction in our feed return we are back to paying huge bills nearly seven hundred percent more. I do not understand why our governments have not prepared better, knowing the shut down of old power stations were imminent and did more to prepare with alternatives that are now in place and working. There is lack of future long term planning and affirmative action past thinking about the next election and all the politics that go with it. Our governments are all about talk and more talk, inaction and lack of future proofing the country - this is causing the mess for the little guy and why we are in the predicament that we are in. The media also does not help with the scare mongering of their poor reporting, sensationalism and lack of opinion from the ground that encourages action to overcome the issues ahead of profit. Sorry - I have had my rant for the day!

I really have no idea what the socalled smart meter is either, all I know is I've got one
Doesn't seem to have made any difference in the cost of my bills.
I'm lucky being in WA where a
our power prices are better than other states.
My bill is usually in credit in the summer and under $200 in the winter.
I also have a wood fire, but the cost of wood is becoming prohibitive.

Ever since they started using the term Clean Energy, our bills have got so much more expensive, when we were assured that our Electricity would be cheaper if we stopped using fossil fuels. And now they are talking of greater increases in our Electricity bills in the years ahead as well. It's about time that the Australian Government, who told us that Clean Energy would save us money on our bills, started honoring their promises and at least began reducing our current bills for a start. 😠

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
No l don’t know what they mean . It my be due to your excess power that is feed back to the grid so you get a solar credit. If l had my way l would have the old meter any day watching it go backwards
Stop smart meters Australia warns that now is the time for people who live in WA,SA, Qld, Tas,or the ACT-to ACT Protect your health, privacy, and finances by saying NO to a smart meter..
Don’t be caught out -get your ‘ DONOT FIT SMART METER’ notice on your meter box. And get your letter of refusal to your electricity retailer NOW.
These two steps also gives you an added safety net if a new meter deployment (which comes with the right to opt out)is being carried out in your area.
Please see this link of Stop Smart Meters Australia’s website for details.
https://stopsmartmeters .com.au/2017/11/10 residents-of -nsw-qld-sa-tas-it’s-time-to-say-no/
This is from Uncensored magazine September 2018. A NZ magazine that has been banned from sale in NZ. Can be bought at book stores, this magazine will open you eyes to. What governments are up to.p

Reactions: DLHM
Stop smart meters Australia warns that now is the time for people who live in WA,SA, Qld, Tas,or the ACT-to ACT Protect your health, privacy, and finances by saying NO to a smart meter..
Don’t be caught out -get your ‘ DONOT FIT SMART METER’ notice on your meter box. And get your letter of refusal to your electricity retailer NOW.
These two steps also gives you an added safety net if a new meter deployment (which comes with the right to opt out)is being carried out in your area.
Please see this link of Stop Smart Meters Australia’s website for details.
https://stopsmartmeters .com.au/2017/11/10 residents-of -nsw-qld-sa-tas-it’s-time-to-say-no/
This is from Uncensored magazine September 2018. A NZ magazine that has been banned from sale in NZ. Can be bought at book stores, this magazine will open you eyes to. What governments are up to.p
Pi blocked the power company. From installing a smart meter as.did all my family .

just got my latest power account ,it has gone up $147 for the quarter,bloody robbing qld gov.

Reactions: Ezzy
I really have no idea what the socalled smart meter is either, all I know is I've got one
Doesn't seem to have made any difference in the cost of my bills.
I'm lucky being in WA where a
our power prices are better than other states.
My bill is usually in credit in the summer and under $200 in the winter.
I also have a wood fire, but the cost of wood is becoming prohibitive.
I also have a wood fire and the price for wood is now $150 for a trailer load. We are being priced out of everything.