Did the recent Optus outage affect you? You might be eligible for compensation.

If you're an Optus customer impacted by the recent massive network outage, you're certainly not alone.

Millions of Australians have been left in limbo, unable to make calls, send texts, or access the internet on their phones and home broadband—even contact emergency services.

Hospitals struggled to reach doctors, small businesses lost trade, and public transport ground to a halt in some areas, showing just how much we all rely on a connected world.

For many people, this outage hasn't just been an inconvenience; it's hit hip pockets and disrupted lives.

That is why there is a big question on everyone's mind: am I eligible for compensation?

1699493592318.png
Millions of Australians have been hit hard by the massive Optus outage, with services for both personal services and businesses impacted. Credit: Shutterstock.

Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin has committed to addressing compensation for the millions of affected customers once their services are back up and running.

'We will consider every possibility once services are restored,' she said during an interview.

'Of course, we are looking at what we can do to thank customers for their patience. You can expect something coming out from us in that regard.'

Ms Rosmarin added that Optus is deeply sorry for the outage and is committed to providing excellent customer service, doing everything possible to make amends.

The recent Optus outage, starting at 4 a.m. on a Wednesday, disrupted the lives of many Aussies, especially those who depend on landlines.

The most concerning part of this outage is that Optus landline users couldn't reach emergency services. This meant people at home without a mobile phone couldn't call the police, ambulance, or fire services during the outage.

Hospitals, businesses, and transportation networks also faced difficulties due to this situation. Internet and home broadband services were also affected.

The number of reported outages to Optus was massive, with nearly 9,000 reports submitted before 6 a.m., and this number continued to rise as more people began their day.

Communication Minister Michelle Rowland addressed the nation's frustrations in a press conference recently, emphasising the need for Optus to be open and quick in finding a solution for its customers.

'It is vital for Optus to be transparent and timely in the updates it is giving to its customers about the nature of its fault, its impact and its possible rectification,' she said.

She also pointed out that these frustrations aren't just about inconvenience; they also include economic hardships for some. Then, she advised customers to document how the outage has affected them to have evidence of their losses.

'It's important to keep receipts so that any recourse and any redress that may be available to them has that evidentiary base.'

1699493750101.png

I was affected by the outage. What can I do?

If you've already contacted Optus and are unsatisfied with their response, you can file a complaint with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman. If you haven't been able to reach Optus, they can forward your complaint on your behalf.

'We can help you with refunds for the time you have been unable to use your service, compensation claims and disputes about your contract,' said the agency.

The Australian Media and Communications Authority (ACMA) encourages affected customers to formally complain to their telco. Depending on your contract with your provider, you might be eligible for a refund or compensation.

They explained: 'Some contracts allow you to apply for a refund or rebate when you can't use a service because of an outage. This is usually only for major outages that you did not cause.'

Telecom companies might even voluntarily offer compensation for service loss, even if they aren't obligated to do so.

According to Australian consumer law, you can request a refund or rebate for the outage. If the outages are frequent or major, you can ask for a refund or rebate for the time without service, cancel your contract without penalties, or seek compensation for any losses incurred due to the outages.

Key Takeaways

• Optus experienced one of its most significant network outages in history, affecting services including mobile, fixed and broadband services across several regions.
  • Customers, particularly small businesses, are being advised to document any financial losses they incur during the outage for potential compensation claims.
  • Communication Minister Michelle Rowland emphasised Optus' need for transparency and timely problem-solving.
  • Despite the service disruption, ACMA mentioned that compensation or refunds are mostly limited to major outages and advised customers to review their service contracts for potential rebates or refunds for the outage.

It can be inconvenient to deal with network disruptions, but being aware of your rights and the potential for compensation can provide some comfort.

Members, we hope you found this article informative. Were you affected by the recent Optus outage? How was your experience? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Could the Optus outage have affected my BINGO win ???
My moble still NOT working.
Optus is owned by Singapore Telecommunications (Singtel)

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540
To be absolutely honest, I didn't miss my phone on bit. And I would say a lot of other mature aged customers would not have either. However, being that we were forced by the federal government of the day to go onto the NBN, there probably are Optus customers who are reliant on their emergency call systems.
This is not a once off event, it will happen with other carriers and they will all blame it on a technical hitch.

To compensate some , who can provide receipts , and not others is discriminatory. Is my despair at being unable to contact an ambulance or emergency service not worth anything?

Reactions: Ricki
If you're an Optus customer impacted by the recent massive network outage, you're certainly not alone.

Millions of Australians have been left in limbo, unable to make calls, send texts, or access the internet on their phones and home broadband—even contact emergency services.

Hospitals struggled to reach doctors, small businesses lost trade, and public transport ground to a halt in some areas, showing just how much we all rely on a connected world.

For many people, this outage hasn't just been an inconvenience; it's hit hip pockets and disrupted lives.

That is why there is a big question on everyone's mind: am I eligible for compensation?

View attachment 34229
Millions of Australians have been hit hard by the massive Optus outage, with services for both personal services and businesses impacted. Credit: Shutterstock.

Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin has committed to addressing compensation for the millions of affected customers once their services are back up and running.

'We will consider every possibility once services are restored,' she said during an interview.

'Of course, we are looking at what we can do to thank customers for their patience. You can expect something coming out from us in that regard.'

Ms Rosmarin added that Optus is deeply sorry for the outage and is committed to providing excellent customer service, doing everything possible to make amends.

The recent Optus outage, starting at 4 a.m. on a Wednesday, disrupted the lives of many Aussies, especially those who depend on landlines.

The most concerning part of this outage is that Optus landline users couldn't reach emergency services. This meant people at home without a mobile phone couldn't call the police, ambulance, or fire services during the outage.

Hospitals, businesses, and transportation networks also faced difficulties due to this situation. Internet and home broadband services were also affected.

The number of reported outages to Optus was massive, with nearly 9,000 reports submitted before 6 a.m., and this number continued to rise as more people began their day.

Communication Minister Michelle Rowland addressed the nation's frustrations in a press conference recently, emphasising the need for Optus to be open and quick in finding a solution for its customers.

'It is vital for Optus to be transparent and timely in the updates it is giving to its customers about the nature of its fault, its impact and its possible rectification,' she said.

She also pointed out that these frustrations aren't just about inconvenience; they also include economic hardships for some. Then, she advised customers to document how the outage has affected them to have evidence of their losses.

'It's important to keep receipts so that any recourse and any redress that may be available to them has that evidentiary base.'

If you've already contacted Optus and are unsatisfied with their response, you can file a complaint with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman. If you haven't been able to reach Optus, they can forward your complaint on your behalf.

'We can help you with refunds for the time you have been unable to use your service, compensation claims and disputes about your contract,' said the agency.

The Australian Media and Communications Authority (ACMA) encourages affected customers to formally complain to their telco. Depending on your contract with your provider, you might be eligible for a refund or compensation.

They explained: 'Some contracts allow you to apply for a refund or rebate when you can't use a service because of an outage. This is usually only for major outages that you did not cause.'

Telecom companies might even voluntarily offer compensation for service loss, even if they aren't obligated to do so.

According to Australian consumer law, you can request a refund or rebate for the outage. If the outages are frequent or major, you can ask for a refund or rebate for the time without service, cancel your contract without penalties, or seek compensation for any losses incurred due to the outages.

Key Takeaways

• Optus experienced one of its most significant network outages in history, affecting services including mobile, fixed and broadband services across several regions.
  • Customers, particularly small businesses, are being advised to document any financial losses they incur during the outage for potential compensation claims.
  • Communication Minister Michelle Rowland emphasised Optus' need for transparency and timely problem-solving.
  • Despite the service disruption, ACMA mentioned that compensation or refunds are mostly limited to major outages and advised customers to review their service contracts for potential rebates or refunds for the outage.

It can be inconvenient to deal with network disruptions, but being aware of your rights and the potential for compensation can provide some comfort.

Members, we hope you found this article informative. Were you affected by the recent Optus outage? How was your experience? Share them with us in the comments below!
I'm not a Optus customer, but what happened to Optus could happen to other companies.
And they want us to go cashless, will not work.

View attachment 34229

Key Takeaways

These companies make billion's in profits 📈 so they should compensate all uses that were effected regardless 🙄

I'm not a Optus customer, but what happened to Optus could happen to other companies.
And they want us to go cashless, will not work.
Correct no coverage no money to pay bills ,get food the list goes on 👍

Reactions: Sherza
Just proves to me that something should be done about how much we have been forced to rely on this crap. I was in another town a couple of hours away to do some business but could not contact the people to tell them when I would be there....imagine if Telstra had had an outage as well, no wonder China wants control of every country!

Reactions: SGH
I was also without my optus internet around 8 weeks ago for 30 hours due to an outage involving my street and four others...

I saw my internet wasn't working when I turned my TV on to watch the news at 5am.

My son had an online exam for uni , lucky out mobile's are with Vodafone and he was able to hotspot

View attachment 34229

Key Takeaways

The Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin may feel sorry for the outage, but I doubt SingTel gives a stuff. You'll go through all sorts of hoops trying to get ny compensation, this is a good opportunaty for a competitor to come out with a decent proposal.

We still had our Internet and could text as normal I read about the outage online. I did not try to use the iPhone. I guess it was offline or was it? I have Amaysim aka Optus for my mobile provider too.

Well that Optus outage just reinforces in all of us how reliant we are now in many cases of our internet suppliers/telcos in our day to day living.....imagine if all of the Telcos were hacked at once.....then the whole Country just about stops completely......PANIC. ps.. And we won't have any cash either if this recent push for a cashless society is implemented. What a bloody farcical experience that's going to be. 🤔🤔😱😱😢😉

View attachment 34229

Key Takeaways

What a joke. Most of us are already on unlimited usage anyway

I was affected my the outage as I couldn’t get my pension money and couldn’t recharge my Optus smart phone or buy any food or drink for a at least 2 days! Not happy Jan

Reactions: Abby2

View attachment 34229

Key Takeaways

HA!
Some don't even get the extra data - i know someone who has been offered a month's FREE turbocharge for December instead of data. Still not good enough!!! Although they have unlimited data so don't need the data and pay extra for more than the standard speed. This is token crap rubbish offerings from Optus and i wouldn't put up with it.
The same person also had their mobile with them and got the weekend free data deal that starts Nov 18 and goes for 5 weeks - another crap rubbish token from Optus.
Way I see it, Optus is being PAID to deliver a service and they failed to for something like 13 hours and put lives at risk in doing so, so they need to cough up some BIG @$$ apologies and even BIGGER @$$ make-up for's with customers. This token bull$h!t is not good enough.
Too make matters worse they sent their 'Apology/offer' by No reply email and text so no one could send them back a answer as to what was thought of their apology/offer.
Well they'll soon lose yet another customer other than the ones that had already left since as i told this person i know to look for another company now and they are.