Did Karl Stefanovic try to stir up old rivalries with David Koch at the Logies?

Ah, awards season. Every year, we wait with bated breath to see which stars will take home the fame and glory. We also anticipate the speeches (and gaffes) that come as part of awards shows.

The 63rd TV Week Logie Awards on Sunday night was no different, as it saw some unexpected moments, with Karl Stefanovic taking a few shots at his former TV rival David Koch.

What did he say? And why did the room full of people go so quiet so fast...?

Most of us are more than familiar with a bit of healthy rivalry. And one of our favourite kinds is surely the good ol' TV rivalries, especially when it concerns two beloved household names: Karl Stefanovic and David 'Kochie' Koch.

As most of you are no doubt aware, Stefanovic and Kochie have a history steeped in breakfast TV competition where they once were opposing hosts, with Stefanovic fronting the Today Show and Kochie hosting Sunrise. Recently Kochie retired after a whopping (and impressive) 20-year run at Sunrise.

karl1.jpg
Today Show host Karl Stefanovic made an ‘awkward’ joke about former TV show host David Koch during the Logies. Credit: Today Show/Twitter

As it happened, his television adversary certainly wasn't one to let the opportunity slide by without a little mischief.

While he was presenting a segment for the In Memoriam tributes at the Logies was when Stefanovic decided to try a bit of his off-the-cuff humour.

Earlier in the ceremony, Koch named the Stan series Bump as one of his favourite shows while he was on stage.

In slang, ‘bumps’ apparently mean small amounts of cocaine, which led to this joke from Stefanovic.

‘I did want to just check something...I am pretty sure before I heard Kochie say he loves Bump’s … season 3,’ he stated.

Karl2.jpg
Karl and his wife posing on the red carpet at the Logies. Credit: thetodayshow/Instagram

‘Did anyone mishear that? Because I am pretty sure I did. Anyway, those are the headlines tomorrow morning,’ he continued.

The resulting tension was palpable. Instead of uproarious laughter, the crowd delivered more gasps than giggles.

Things were made a tad more uncomfortable when the ceremony host, Sam Pang, brought up the frosty reception to Stefanovic’s joke.

‘I don’t want to say Karl Stefanovic’s joke about Kochie sank, I don’t want to say it sank, but Oceangate is offering expeditions to visit it to those who are interested,’ he said, referring to the ill-fated submersible that imploded under water a couple of months ago.

To add more flavour to the evening, Pang had already fired a few shots at Stefanovic during the opening monologue, cracking wise about the infamous Noosa incident with Michael Clarke.

A little friendly rivalry is always good for a chuckle, even if Stefanovic’s joke missed the mark this time. Regardless, we hope both Stefanovic and Kochie continue entertaining and making Australian television lively in their own ways!
Key Takeaways
  • Karl Stefanovic made an awkward joke at the expense of former TV rival David Koch during the 63rd TV Week Logie Awards, which didn't land well with the audience.
  • The joke involved a supposed misinterpretation relating to the term ‘bump’, which has a double meaning in street lingo.
  • The awkward moment was brought up again at the ceremony by Logies host Sam Pang, who highlighted how badly it was received.
  • Stefanovic had already been on the receiving end of Pang's jokes during the opening monologue, which included references to an infamous incident involving cricketer Michael Clarke in Noosa.
And for our members who love their TV, do let us know about your favourite Logie moments... maybe ones that got a few more laughs in the room. Feel free to share them in the comments below!

Reactions: funfactory
Sponsored
These articles about personalities doing or saying things at industry specific events or otherwise in public are boring and useless.

I wonder how many people with real life issues need or want to learn about these ridiculous antics of the 'rich and so called famous'.

"He said... Then he countered... then the audience gasped"

Honestly, who cares?

I'd look forward to stories about issues that affect everyday ordinary people together with hints/tips and advice on how we can improve our lots.

Ah, awards season. Every year, we wait with bated breath to see which stars will take home the fame and glory. We also anticipate the speeches (and gaffes) that come as part of awards shows.

The 63rd TV Week Logie Awards on Sunday night was no different, as it saw some unexpected moments, with Karl Stefanovic taking a few shots at his former TV rival David Koch.

Most of us are more than familiar with a bit of healthy rivalry. And one of our favourite kinds is surely the good ol' TV rivalries, especially when it concerns two beloved household names: Karl Stefanovic and David 'Kochie' Koch.

As most of you are no doubt aware, Stefanovic and Kochie have a history steeped in breakfast TV competition where they once were opposing hosts, with Stefanovic fronting the Today Show and Kochie hosting Sunrise. Recently Kochie retired after a whopping (and impressive) 20-year run at Sunrise.

View attachment 26325
Today Show host Karl Stefanovic made an ‘awkward’ joke about former TV show host David Koch during the Logies. Credit: Today Show/Twitter

As it happened, his television adversary certainly wasn't one to let the opportunity slide by without a little mischief.

While he was presenting a segment for the In Memoriam tributes at the Logies was when Stefanovic decided to try a bit of his off-the-cuff humour.

Earlier in the ceremony, Koch named the Stan series Bump as one of his favourite shows while he was on stage.

In slang, ‘bumps’ apparently mean small amounts of cocaine, which led to this joke from Stefanovic.

‘I did want to just check something...I am pretty sure before I heard Kochie say he loves Bump’s … season 3,’ he stated.

View attachment 26326
Karl and his wife posing on the red carpet at the Logies. Credit: thetodayshow/Instagram

‘Did anyone mishear that? Because I am pretty sure I did. Anyway, those are the headlines tomorrow morning,’ he continued.

The resulting tension was palpable. Instead of uproarious laughter, the crowd delivered more gasps than giggles.

Things were made a tad more uncomfortable when the ceremony host, Sam Pang, brought up the frosty reception to Stefanovic’s joke.

‘I don’t want to say Karl Stefanovic’s joke about Kochie sank, I don’t want to say it sank, but Oceangate is offering expeditions to visit it to those who are interested,’ he said, referring to the ill-fated submersible that imploded under water a couple of months ago.

To add more flavour to the evening, Pang had already fired a few shots at Stefanovic during the opening monologue, cracking wise about the infamous Noosa incident with Michael Clarke.

A little friendly rivalry is always good for a chuckle, even if Stefanovic’s joke missed the mark this time. Regardless, we hope both Stefanovic and Kochie continue entertaining and making Australian television lively in their own ways!
Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic made an awkward joke at the expense of former TV rival David Koch during the 63rd TV Week Logie Awards, which didn't land well with the audience.
  • The joke involved a supposed misinterpretation relating to the term ‘bump’, which has a double meaning in street lingo.
  • The awkward moment was brought up again at the ceremony by Logies host Sam Pang, who highlighted how badly it was received.
  • Stefanovic had already been on the receiving end of Pang's jokes during the opening monologue, which included references to an infamous incident involving cricketer Michael Clarke in Noosa.
And for our members who love their TV, do let us know about your favourite Logie moments... maybe ones that got a few more laughs in the room. Feel free to share them in the comments below!
What a brainless twit is Stefanovic is Kochie’s retired and this dick thinks he is king Karl Shirvington will be kicking your arse for year's to come just like Kochie did Karl I think you have little dick syndrome 🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Leenie and Ricki

View attachment 26325

View attachment 26326

Key Takeaways

Please don't say Stanfanovic is "beloved". I even checked the dictionary again. Nope still can't see the term being used in context.

As for the word "Bump", well with Stefanovic's antics at times, it would possibly seem he is quite familiar with practice.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Leenie and hinda
I was totally unaware of the term ‘bumps’. So I have learned something. I am someone with an above average interest in the correct use of the English language, grammar, spelling and punctuation etc and I believe most seniors are, so the fact that Karl seems familiar with drug vernacular says more about his interests and activities than he might want us to know.

These articles about personalities doing or saying things at industry specific events or otherwise in public are boring and useless.

I wonder how many people with real life issues need or want to learn about these ridiculous antics of the 'rich and so called famous'.

"He said... Then he countered... then the audience gasped"

Honestly, who cares?

I'd look forward to stories about issues that affect everyday ordinary people together with hints/tips and advice on how we can improve our lots.
I'm wit' you, kid.

Last edited:
Kochie should have gone a long time ago he was boring as is Sunrise

View attachment 26325

View attachment 26326

Key Takeaways

Kochie should have gone a long time ago he was boring as is Sunrise

View attachment 26325

View attachment 26326

Key Takeaways

Think Logies rigged everyone knew who would get gold Logie it was advertised each day. Didn't agree with most winners maybe it's my weird taste

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 26325

View attachment 26326
Karl and his wife posing on the red carpet at the Logies. Credit: the today show/Instagram

Key Takeaways

While I have little time for David Koch, he has more talent in his little finger then Stefanovic has in his whole family and there can be no argument against the fact that Larry Emdur leaves them both in his wake as does Kochies very talented replacement.

Reactions: Tervueren