Dick Van Dyke recreates iconic Mary Poppins dance ahead of 98th birthday

Dick Van Dyke, the beloved star of Mary Poppins, is about to turn 98, but age is just a number for this sprightly entertainer.

He recently channelled his iconic chimney sweep dance from the 1964 film Mary Poppins, proving that he's still got the moves that made him a household name.

In a video online, Van Dyke is seen donning his signature style, dressed in a crisp white button-up shirt and a grey suit.

The clip was filmed as part of his upcoming TV special, Dick Van Dyke: 98 Years of Magic.

photo (1).jpg
Dick Van Dyke still has his moves nearing 98. Credit: @nerdpoppins / Instagram

The caption on the video reads, 'Celebrated this legend today,' a testament to Van Dyke's enduring popularity and influence in the entertainment industry.

The upcoming TV special is a tribute to Van Dyke's illustrious career, which spans over seven decades across film, television, and stage.

CBS, the network airing the special, announced last month that it would be celebrating Van Dyke's birthday on Wednesday, December 13, by taking viewers on a nostalgic journey through his career.

According to a press release from the network, the special 'will travel back in time to the iconic set of The Dick Van Dyke Show and feature dazzling music and dance spectacles, heartfelt performances, special guests and a magical holiday number’.

The two-hour show will also include archival footage and songs from Van Dyke's career, including hits from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, and Bye Bye Birdie.

Van Dyke, who began his career with CBS in 1955, expressed his excitement about the upcoming special.

‘I started with CBS under contract in 1955 with the CBS morning show, then The Dick Van Dyke Show and Diagnosis Murder,’ he said.

'I've been with the CBS family for almost 70 years, and I couldn't be prouder.’

'I'm incredibly honoured that CBS will be throwing a 98th birthday special for me. Can't wait to be part of the show!'

Watch Dick Van Dyke dancing here:

We have all wondered how he still looks very active and healthy at his age.

When asked about his secret to a long and healthy life, he jokingly responded, ‘Well, I don’t know, all my friends are dead, so I’m not going to complain!’

On a more serious note, his secret to a longer life is an active lifestyle. Read more about his active engagements here.

Van Dyke's enduring charm and talent have been in the spotlight recently.

In November, he made a rare public appearance alongside his wife, Arlene Silver, at the opening of his longtime photographer Laura Johansen's exhibit, Moments in Time Portraits, at Malibu City Hall in California, USA.

The exhibit celebrated the past decade of Van Dyke's life, further cementing his status as a cherished icon in the entertainment industry.

As we celebrate his 98th birthday, let's take a moment to appreciate the joy and laughter that Dick Van Dyke has brought into our lives. His enduring talent and charisma serve as a reminder of the timeless appeal of good, wholesome entertainment.
Key Takeaways
  • Dick Van Dyke is set to celebrate his 98th birthday and showed off his dance skills reminiscent of his iconic chimney sweep dance from Mary Poppins.
  • CBS announced a birthday special for Van Dyke titled Dick Van Dyke: 98 Years of Magic that will look back at his seven-decade career in film, television, and stage.
  • The special show will feature archival footage and songs from Van Dyke's career, including performances from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, and Bye Bye Birdie.
  • In November, Van Dyke made a rare public appearance at the opening of a portrait exhibition honouring the past decade of his life.
Are you a fan of Dick Van Dyke? What are your favourite memories of this legendary entertainer? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Dick Van Dyke, the beloved star of Mary Poppins, is about to turn 98, but age is just a number for this sprightly entertainer.

He recently channelled his iconic chimney sweep dance from the 1964 film Mary Poppins, proving that he's still got the moves that made him a household name.

In a video online, Van Dyke is seen donning his signature style, dressed in a crisp white button-up shirt and a grey suit.

The clip was filmed as part of his upcoming TV special, Dick Van Dyke: 98 Years of Magic.

View attachment 37298

The caption on the video reads, 'Celebrated this legend today,' a testament to Van Dyke's enduring popularity and influence in the entertainment industry.

The upcoming TV special is a tribute to Van Dyke's illustrious career, which spans over seven decades across film, television, and stage.

CBS, the network airing the special, announced last month that it would be celebrating Van Dyke's birthday on Wednesday, December 13, by taking viewers on a nostalgic journey through his career.

According to a press release from the network, the special 'will travel back in time to the iconic set of The Dick Van Dyke Show and feature dazzling music and dance spectacles, heartfelt performances, special guests and a magical holiday number’.

The two-hour show will also include archival footage and songs from Van Dyke's career, including hits from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, and Bye Bye Birdie.

Van Dyke, who began his career with CBS in 1955, expressed his excitement about the upcoming special.

‘I started with CBS under contract in 1955 with the CBS morning show, then The Dick Van Dyke Show and Diagnosis Murder,’ he said.

'I'm incredibly honoured that CBS will be throwing a 98th birthday special for me. Can't wait to be part of the show!'

When asked about his secret to a long and healthy life, he jokingly responded, ‘Well, I don’t know, all my friends are dead, so I’m not going to complain!’

On a more serious note, his secret to a longer life is an active lifestyle. Read more about his active engagements here.

In November, he made a rare public appearance alongside his wife, Arlene Silver, at the opening of his longtime photographer Laura Johansen's exhibit, Moments in Time Portraits, at Malibu City Hall in California, USA.

The exhibit celebrated the past decade of Van Dyke's life, further cementing his status as a cherished icon in the entertainment industry.

As we celebrate his 98th birthday, let's take a moment to appreciate the joy and laughter that Dick Van Dyke has brought into our lives. His enduring talent and charisma serve as a reminder of the timeless appeal of good, wholesome entertainment.
Key Takeaways

• Dick Van Dyke is set to celebrate his 98th birthday and showed off his dance skills reminiscent of his iconic chimney sweep dance from Mary Poppins.
  • CBS announced a birthday special for Van Dyke titled Dick Van Dyke: 98 Years of Magic that will look back at his seven-decade career in film, television, and stage.
  • The special show will feature archival footage and songs from Van Dyke's career, including performances from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, and Bye Bye Birdie.
  • In November, Van Dyke made a rare public appearance at the opening of a portrait exhibition honouring the past decade of his life.
Are you a fan of Dick Van Dyke? What are your favourite memories of this legendary entertainer? Share them with us in the comments below.

The man is an absolute Legend, lots of memories of him in Dance routines for Mary Robbins and beyond

View attachment 37298

Key Takeaways

Gotta luv DVD best actor and entertainer ever ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

View attachment 37298

Key Takeaways

As a child i hated being forced to watch Dick van dyke and Rolf Harris they gave me the creeps and Jerry Lewis as well. Dean Martin i liked.

Always enjoyed watching him in anything he starred in.