Diabetes group appeals for subsidy of costly treatment as promising medicines debut

The battle against diabetes, a chronic disease that affects millions of Australians, is about to get a significant boost.

Groundbreaking new medications that not only manage blood sugar levels but also aid in weight loss are on the horizon. These innovative drugs could revolutionise the way Australians manage diabetes, potentially even leading to remission for some patients.

Ozempic, a pioneer in this new class of diabetes medications, was one of the first to offer dual benefits: managing blood sugar levels and reducing appetite.

This injectable drug has been a game-changer for many patients, but high demand made worse by off-prescription use has made it hard to source even for diabetics.

Thankfully, experts say even more potent medications are on the way.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 073526.png
Ozempic is used to manage type 2 diabetes. Image source: Diabetes Australia

Dr Sof Andrikopoulos, CEO of the Australian Diabetes Society, shared his optimism about the future of diabetes treatment.

'Once you get to that point when you're causing 25 per cent weight loss, you are truly managing obesity as a disease,' he said.

One such promising drug is Mounjaro. Like Ozempic, it assists with appetite suppression, but it could soon be available in a more convenient pill form.

This could be a significant advancement for patients who are uncomfortable with injections or struggle with adherence to injectable medications.

However, these cutting-edge treatments come with a hefty price tag. Patients can expect to pay up to $1,700 per course for drugs, including Ozempic.

The Australian Diabetes Society is advocating for these drugs to be subsidised, making them more accessible to the average Australian.

Meanwhile, the Department of Health and Aged Care has stated that it relies on independent advice from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee. Currently, medications can only be subsidised if recommended by this committee.

The hope is that the undeniable benefits of these new drugs will lead to their inclusion in the subsidised medications list.

While these new medications offer hope, doctors also caution patients about potential risks.

Dr Terri-Lynne South, a weight loss doctor, warned that patients who stop taking these medications could experience weight regain.

'Weight variability is a more significant risk factor for developing metabolic health conditions than we once thought,' she said.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), two in three Australian adults are now overweight, and an estimated 1.3 million are living with diabetes.

Proportion of people with diabetes by age and sex, 2022.jpg
ABS data has revealed that 1.3 million Australians are living with diabetes. Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics

However, doctors say losing just 10 per cent of your weight can significantly reduce the threat of diabetes.

In light of these breakthrough medications, the future of diabetes treatment in Australia looks promising.

'In the next five years, we will have the great potential to put Type 2 diabetes into remission,' Dr Andrikopoulos said.

Diabetes is a chronic condition that affects the body's ability to process sugar. It's characterised by high blood sugar levels that can lead to serious health complications, including heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and vision loss.

Type 2 diabetes, the most common form, is often linked to obesity. Excess weight can make it harder for the body to use insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar levels. This is why weight management is a crucial part of diabetes care.

The new class of diabetes medications, including Ozempic and Mounjaro, offer a two-pronged approach to managing diabetes. They help control blood sugar levels and also aid in weight loss by suppressing appetite. This dual action can help patients achieve better overall health and potentially reduce the severity of their diabetes.

However, it's important to remember that these medications are not a magic bullet. They should be used as part of a comprehensive diabetes care plan that includes a healthy diet, regular physical activity, and regular monitoring of blood sugar levels.

A gastroenterologist from the University of Washington in the US made a similar case, and you might want to read more about it here.

More than that, it is very important to talk to your doctor about these medications and discuss their benefits and side effects before taking them.

Key Takeaways

• New diabetic drugs that assist with weight loss and appetite suppression may soon be available in Australia, potentially aiding patients with diabetes to enter remission.
  • One of the drugs, Mounjaro, is expected to come in pill form and could offer significant weight loss benefits for patients.
  • The Australian Diabetes Society has advocated for these drugs to be subsidised due to the high cost of current treatments like Ozempic.
  • The Health Department is dependent on recommendations from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee for subsidising medications, while doctors caution patients about the risk of weight regain after stopping these treatments.

What do you think about these new developments in diabetes care? Have you or a loved one had experience with these new medications? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
The only 'medication' needed to treat and cure T2 is not a drug, it only requires you to NOT eat the foods that gave you T2 in the first place. Stop eating them, and guess what, no more T2, or diabesity. Who knew?

Reactions: Abby2 and IAN3005
OK. These new diabetic drugs are only for those who have an eGFR of 70% and over. So unless you have a good % reading you can not take these drugs. I hope all GPs and diabetes doctors are aware of this otherwise it would be medical negligence to prescribe these drugs. These drugs could send someone's kidneys crashing unless a test test is carried out every 1 to 2 months.

I don’t think that is completely as you say biggeregus , their are people who do get T2 because of Hereditary reasons and even doctors do not understand everything that happens in our bodies and why .
I am one such person.
OK. These new diabetic drugs are only for those who have an eGFR of 70% and over. So unless you have a good % reading you can not take these drugs. I hope all GPs and diabetes doctors are aware of this otherwise it would be medical negligence to prescribe these drugs. These drugs could send someone's kidneys crashing unless a test test is carried out every 1 to 2 months.
Many of these drugs are not available for the people who need it - Why - because GPs are giving them out to those who are not Diabetic and just want to lose weight. This angers me and I have been known get on my "High Horse" over the subject, even though my diabetes is under control with Metformin I feel for those who are missing out. I think I will shut up now because I don't want to upset anyone.

I am one such person.

Many of these drugs are not available for the people who need it - Why - because GPs are giving them out to those who are not Diabetic and just want to lose weight. This angers me and I have been known get on my "High Horse" over the subject, even though my diabetes is under control with Metformin I feel for those who are missing out. I think I will shut up now because I don't want to upset anyone.
Your entitled to comment don’t worry about upsetting people I don’t neither do a lot of people on here. Freedom of speech right get it off your chest.😊

It’s far from all good news on the medication fron. My local pharmacist has told me that Imigran nasal spray, which has been around for about 20 years is to be removed not just from the PBS but all production is to be ceased. This drug which is used to treat migraines is an essential part of my life. Because I generally vomit profusely with a migraine I cannot keep any tablets down long enough to help. At one stage despite preventative drugs I was forced to buy Imigran Injections at over $112.00 more than 20 years ago. Our chemist account was often over $2,000 a month when was going through a bad period. Only when the Nasal Spraybecame available did the price drop and eventually it was put on the PBS. One box contains only 2 sprays which is treatment for up to 24 hours. Now for reasons my pharmacist cannot tell me it is to be ceased!! We muse fight this sort of thing as many people who suffer debilitating migraines need this drug. Also I am told that Stemtil,an antiemetic drug also used to treat Meniere’s Syndrome is to be ceased. What are those people supposed to use instead? Now Oxynorm (a dose of 20mg of Endone) is to be removed from sale leaving those of us in chronic pain with just one less dru for our painful lives. A box of 5mg Endone only has twenty tablets. If you need 4 at a time to make up for the loss of Oxynorm 20 mg you will need 4 times as many boxes of 5mg Endone. That will make life that is already very difficult with authorities required by the DDU for chronic pain treatment even more difficul. This is especially so when the media prints large articles accusing chronic pain sufferers of overdosing, even if it was a one off accident. The drug companies have a lot to answer for as it seems that the only thing they care about is profits and NOT helping patient. How are we supposed to cope when Hydramorphone (Jurnista) has also been removed from sale. I beg all migraine and chronic pain patients to write to their MPs about this constant loss of useful medicines now being taken away from those of us who need them.
I don’t know about you but my attempt to change to a more modern anti migraine drug was a disaster that landed me in ICU after a very severe migraine lasting all day but that started again in the night meant I accidentally took too much medicatio. They used that admission to change all my painkillers and I now live in constant pain. We cannot let them go on doing this to us. If it works for you then sray on it and tell them what to do with the fancy new things that are being brought in when they don’t work anywhere near as well. if it ain’t broke leave it alone for all our sakes.
Dr. P R M Betros.

It’s far from all good news on the medication fron. My local pharmacist has told me that Imigran nasal spray, which has been around for about 20 years is to be removed not just from the PBS but all production is to be ceased. This drug which is used to treat migraines is an essential part of my life. Because I generally vomit profusely with a migraine I cannot keep any tablets down long enough to help. At one stage despite preventative drugs I was forced to buy Imigran Injections at over $112.00 more than 20 years ago. Our chemist account was often over $2,000 a month when was going through a bad period. Only when the Nasal Spraybecame available did the price drop and eventually it was put on the PBS. One box contains only 2 sprays which is treatment for up to 24 hours. Now for reasons my pharmacist cannot tell me it is to be ceased!! We muse fight this sort of thing as many people who suffer debilitating migraines need this drug. Also I am told that Stemtil,an antiemetic drug also used to treat Meniere’s Syndrome is to be ceased. What are those people supposed to use instead? Now Oxynorm (a dose of 20mg of Endone) is to be removed from sale leaving those of us in chronic pain with just one less dru for our painful lives. A box of 5mg Endone only has twenty tablets. If you need 4 at a time to make up for the loss of Oxynorm 20 mg you will need 4 times as many boxes of 5mg Endone. That will make life that is already very difficult with authorities required by the DDU for chronic pain treatment even more difficul. This is especially so when the media prints large articles accusing chronic pain sufferers of overdosing, even if it was a one off accident. The drug companies have a lot to answer for as it seems that the only thing they care about is profits and NOT helping patient. How are we supposed to cope when Hydramorphone (Jurnista) has also been removed from sale. I beg all migraine and chronic pain patients to write to their MPs about this constant loss of useful medicines now being taken away from those of us who need them.
I don’t know about you but my attempt to change to a more modern anti migraine drug was a disaster that landed me in ICU after a very severe migraine lasting all day but that started again in the night meant I accidentally took too much medicatio. They used that admission to change all my painkillers and I now live in constant pain. We cannot let them go on doing this to us. If it works for you then sray on it and tell them what to do with the fancy new things that are being brought in when they don’t work anywhere near as well. if it ain’t broke leave it alone for all our sakes.
Dr. P R M Betros.
TrishBin my heart goes out to you. I believe pharmaceutical companies are only in it for the money.

Reactions: IAN3005
Dr. P R M Betros.
It's so true. I have chronic pain and haven't found a medication yet that works really well. The best I can get it Panadeine Forte, but you can no longer get repeats. I used to get 5 packets with 1 script, but now I can only get 1 packet at a time. I actually take it for a chronic cough and luckily only need to take 1 per day, but I'm still having to get new repeats on a very regular basis. Same as my Nexium 20, where you can only get 1 repeat. I get into trouble with that one because I take 2 per day (the 40mg doesn't work for me), so I have to beg for that one too. I really don't understand why it is only 1 repeat when you can buy it over the counter, which I've had to do on several occasions.

Oh I just love these discussions about weight loss drugs and the people that think it's easy to lose weight by just eating less. Then there's the usual line that Dr's shouldn't give these drugs like Ozempic to people who just want to lose weight. Two examples PCOS and hypothyroidism make it very hard to not gain weight and to lose the extra kgs. There are many other reasons people gain weight and its not all about what they stuff into their mouths. To get Ozempic you had to have a certain BMI and be under the care of a Dr. I'm not going to say why I am overweight as it would take too long. My Dr started me on Ozempic and I was doing well with weight loss until the shortage happened. I am struggling to lose weight now but slowly I am seeing a difference on the scale. My Dr monitored my health very well when on Ozempic and he still continues to do so. Get rid of the it's all about me when judging people. Diabetics don't ask to be diabetics either and they deserve to have these medicines as much as us chubby ones do. It's not all about lifestyle. Being a good weight also helps other parts of your body.

Oh I just love these discussions about weight loss drugs and the people that think it's easy to lose weight by just eating less. Then there's the usual line that Dr's shouldn't give these drugs like Ozempic to people who just want to lose weight. Two examples PCOS and hypothyroidism make it very hard to not gain weight and to lose the extra kgs. There are many other reasons people gain weight and its not all about what they stuff into their mouths. To get Ozempic you had to have a certain BMI and be under the care of a Dr. I'm not going to say why I am overweight as it would take too long. My Dr started me on Ozempic and I was doing well with weight loss until the shortage happened. I am struggling to lose weight now but slowly I am seeing a difference on the scale. My Dr monitored my health very well when on Ozempic and he still continues to do so. Get rid of the it's all about me when judging people. Diabetics don't ask to be diabetics either and they deserve to have these medicines as much as us chubby ones do. It's not all about lifestyle. Being a good weight also helps other parts of your body.
When I wrote about Drs giving Ozempic I was talking about those "skinny bitches" on tick tock, Instagram and other social media platforms. In the last 18 months I've gone from having 2 medications up to 9 and that darn little thyroid is causing the most problems and I have to admit I have moments of despair over my weight and think to myself "should I take up my GPs offer of the Ozempic?" but then I think there are people who need it more than me and I would consider you to be one of those people. I wish you good luck and hope that Thyroid, starts behaving itself.

I am one such person.

Bring it on! I will back you all the way!

Are you on thyroxine for an underactive thyroid like me?

Bring it on! I will back you all the way!

Are you on thyroxine for an underactive thyroid like me?
No Levothyroxine -my thyroid is doing its own thing one minute it is overactive and the next it is under. There has been quite a bit of fiddling around with the dosage, hopefully we are on the right track. I will know more next week when I have blood tests done. I forgot to mention it is underactive at the moment. I think I may have to do some research on this little organ, because there seems to be more women than men with thyroid issues.

Last edited: