Desperate driver's note to thieves: How can you protect your car from being targeted?

Not all criminals have a heart of stone, and one Australian motorist hopes that a note left in her car window will appeal to the better nature of those thinking of breaking in. This unconventional crime prevention method caught the eye of many, including us here at the Seniors Discount Club.

The driver, from the remote northwest coast town of Port Hedland in Western Australia, left a handwritten message on her car window, hoping it would deter would-be thieves from ransacking her vehicle. The heartfelt plea outlined her current financial situation, expressing that she could not afford another break-in.

1685340421428.png
A concerned motorist left a note on their car window to deter potential thieves from breaking into their vehicle. Source: WAIncidentAlerts/Facebook

'Please leave my car alone, there is nothing of value in here. I'm already in debt from break-ins where nothing was stolen,' the note read.

To further discourage criminals, the motorist even suggested that they look for someone who 'looks like they can afford it' instead. She later posted a picture of the note online, hoping it would reach a wider audience and perhaps deter future break-ins.

The response to her makeshift security measure was mixed. While some criticised her for encouraging thieves to target other cars, others empathised with her plight and related to her struggles. One commenter revealed that she herself had previously used a similar tactic: 'I once left a similar note for people ‘borrowing’ my car’, she explained. 'I said that I was a single mother and couldn’t afford to buy petrol.'

In 2021, more than 190,000 motor vehicles were targeted by thieves across Australia, according to Insurance Business. That means a passenger vehicle is stolen every 11 minutes on average, making automobile security a significant concern for many.

How Can You Protect Your Car?​

So, whether this driver's plea worked or not, it raises an important question: How can you protect your car from being targeted by thieves? Members, here are some tips we've gathered to help you safeguard your vehicle:

1. Lock your car: Always lock your vehicle, even if you're just leaving it for a moment. Ensuring the doors are locked and windows are rolled up can deter opportunistic thieves.
  2. Park in well-lit areas: Try to find a well-lit spot when parking your vehicle at night. Thieves prefer to operate in the shadows, so make your car as visible as possible.
  3. Install an alarm system: Investing in a car alarm can provide an extra layer of protection and act as a powerful deterrent for criminals.
  4. Don't leave valuables on display: Hidden valuables are less likely to entice a break-in. Tuck away any GPS devices, phones, or other personal belongings in the glove box or boot.
  5. Mark your vehicle: Marking your vehicle with an identification number or enrolling in a vehicle registration program can make it harder for a thief to sell your car or its parts.
  6. Install a steering wheel lock: A steering wheel lock can serve both as a physical barrier and a visible deterrent to a would-be thief.

Key Takeaways
  • A motorist in Port Hedland, WA, left a note in her car window pleading with thieves not to break into her vehicle, stating she is already in debt.
  • The note suggested thieves target a car that 'looks like they can afford it' instead.
  • The car owner's post received mixed reactions on social media, with some criticising her for encouraging thieves to target others, while others understood her plight.
  • According to Insurance Business, over 190,000 motor vehicles were broken into by thieves across Australia in 2021, with a 'passenger vehicle' stolen approximately every 11 minutes.
While we can't guarantee your car will never be targeted, taking these steps can reduce the risk and give you peace of mind.

What measures do you take to minimise the risk of your car being targeted? Share your strategies for ensuring the safety of your vehicle and gaining peace of mind while parking. Let's keep these tips in mind to stay safe on the roads!

• Angry
Reactions: Tipsy
Sponsored
I feel for this lady , but to steal cars from people who look like they can afford it is terrible . I know many people have bought these luxury cars and saved up for it many years and live a very normal lifestyle , so is this OKAY to steal from them ? It would be better the car thieves get punished accordingly. Most car thieves go for the luxury cars and write them off in no time.
We have a locked gate in front of our property and hide our keys very well . If I park my car to do shopping , I protect my car with a car lock , which is visible and hope the potential car thief will go to the next car.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
I worked hard to pay for my car and would be devastated if it was stolen,, because of working the way we were expected to I ended up having to leave work with work related injuries,,,,no compensation,,,so I certainly couldn't afford another one regardless of it being fully insured ,it's always locked in a locked garage but who is to say what could happen if it was parked elsewhere,,

Reactions: Gsr
Don’t think the note would be a deterrent to a would be thief, they have no morals and don’t care who they inconvenience. It could have the opposite effect and make them more likely to steal the car just to be total a———S.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Looks to me like it is a last resort thing. Insurance is probably unaffordable (no surprise there), and times are difficult.
I say, you don't get if you don't ask.
If the bad guys have any kind of empathy, they will leave her car alone. I do hope so.

Reactions: Bridgit
Not all criminals have a heart of stone, and one Australian motorist hopes that a note left in her car window will appeal to the better nature of those thinking of breaking in. This unconventional crime prevention method caught the eye of many, including us here at the Seniors Discount Club.

The driver, from the remote northwest coast town of Port Hedland in Western Australia, left a handwritten message on her car window, hoping it would deter would-be thieves from ransacking her vehicle. The heartfelt plea outlined her current financial situation, expressing that she could not afford another break-in.

View attachment 20925
A concerned motorist left a note on their car window to deter potential thieves from breaking into their vehicle. Source: WAIncidentAlerts/Facebook

'Please leave my car alone, there is nothing of value in here. I'm already in debt from break-ins where nothing was stolen,' the note read.

To further discourage criminals, the motorist even suggested that they look for someone who 'looks like they can afford it' instead. She later posted a picture of the note online, hoping it would reach a wider audience and perhaps deter future break-ins.

The response to her makeshift security measure was mixed. While some criticised her for encouraging thieves to target other cars, others empathised with her plight and related to her struggles. One commenter revealed that she herself had previously used a similar tactic: 'I once left a similar note for people ‘borrowing’ my car’, she explained. 'I said that I was a single mother and couldn’t afford to buy petrol.'

In 2021, more than 190,000 motor vehicles were targeted by thieves across Australia, according to Insurance Business. That means a passenger vehicle is stolen every 11 minutes on average, making automobile security a significant concern for many.

So, whether this driver's plea worked or not, it raises an important question: How can you protect your car from being targeted by thieves? Members, here are some tips we've gathered to help you safeguard your vehicle:

1. Lock your car: Always lock your vehicle, even if you're just leaving it for a moment. Ensuring the doors are locked and windows are rolled up can deter opportunistic thieves.
  2. Park in well-lit areas: Try to find a well-lit spot when parking your vehicle at night. Thieves prefer to operate in the shadows, so make your car as visible as possible.
  3. Install an alarm system: Investing in a car alarm can provide an extra layer of protection and act as a powerful deterrent for criminals.
  4. Don't leave valuables on display: Hidden valuables are less likely to entice a break-in. Tuck away any GPS devices, phones, or other personal belongings in the glove box or boot.
  5. Mark your vehicle: Marking your vehicle with an identification number or enrolling in a vehicle registration program can make it harder for a thief to sell your car or its parts.
  6. Install a steering wheel lock: A steering wheel lock can serve both as a physical barrier and a visible deterrent to a would-be thief.

Key Takeaways

• A motorist in Port Hedland, WA, left a note in her car window pleading with thieves not to break into her vehicle, stating she is already in debt.
  • The note suggested thieves target a car that 'looks like they can afford it' instead.
  • The car owner's post received mixed reactions on social media, with some criticising her for encouraging thieves to target others, while others understood her plight.
  • According to Insurance Business, over 190,000 motor vehicles were broken into by thieves across Australia in 2021, with a 'passenger vehicle' stolen approximately every 11 minutes.
While we can't guarantee your car will never be targeted, taking these steps can reduce the risk and give you peace of mind.

What measures do you take to minimise the risk of your car being targeted? Share your strategies for ensuring the safety of your vehicle and gaining peace of mind while parking. Let's keep these tips in mind to stay safe on the roads!
just put an immobiliser in your car or even 2 off them

Reactions: Beeno & Deb

View attachment 20925

Key Takeaways

we need a bit of electricity to give them a high. oh! i forgot climate change, no no.

• Haha
Reactions: Bridgit
I don't agree with her telling them to go steal someone else's car, she should have said go get a JOB then you can buy your own stuff.

View attachment 20925

Key Takeaways

Why not try buying a wheel clamp, better than an alarm system which can be disarmed. And I was shown (lost my key) how easy it is to pop some of the steering locks. I'm sorry to say, a letter in your window is not going to stop them as they already don't care about you by wanting to take something that they don't own.